BankFodder BankFodder

guest1

HMRC - Working Tax/Child Tax Overpayment £8k

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2542 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I would be very appreciative for any help or direction into a recent debt I've just received.

Last Thursday I had a letter from 'advantis' regarding a debt to HMRC for £8347 of which I have no previous correspondence or information. After I picked myself up off the floor I rang the company immediately and was basically told I had over-payments totaling the amount above from 2004. I asked them to allow me time to contact HMRC and see if this is a mistake and I would obviously call them back.

Firstly, I'm long term unemployed with no savings currently living at fathers until I can find new accommodation. I have no assets and had to sell my previous home due to debts (cleared) after divorce.

I am contacting the HMRC Mon morning to start an appeal process (If that's possible) and pray they have made some kind of mistake. I will also make an apt with the local CAB so I can actually talk face to face with someone or maybe approach a Solicitor.

Whilst this process begins I would appreciate and welcome any advice you could suggest, I'm extremely worried the DCA will try to levy my debt against my fathers home just because I'm living there? If the debt stands what help can I get managing it ?

Thank you for your time and any assistance you can offer.

They cannot levy a debt on property that doesnt belong to you.

As far as the Tax credit overpayment goes, have you any idea how it may have arisen?

Where you in receipt of WTC/CTC at the time they alledge?

scotgal 

Sounds like they have sold the debt to Advantis. You may have been better off ignoring them, I was caught off guard a couple of years ago when I had ignored their letters, they kept calling me though, luckily it was past 6 yrs & I laughed & told them to take me to court. never heard from them again.

I had started a new job(2003-4) that lasted for approx 5yrs and I had contacted the Gov about tax credits. I must confess I can't really recall how much the payments were for or if they had separate child/working tax credits. At the time I had been divorced for a few years, my child was living with me right through final Junior School years to High School.

I had no correspondence or details about the claim/overpayments and therefore have not queried it until the contact last week. It was a complete bombshell, and obviously extremely worrying. Hopefully I will find out more this week after talking to the HMRC.

Thanks for the replies, I'm very grateful for any advice offered.