style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had letters from Jacobs demanding payment for sum of £1,266,67p

Their Clients being Southend-on-Sea Borough Council,

For payment for the said sum Title of Sum Sundry item?

Okay here’s background leading up to this matter,

October 2008 had my house repossessed, not a nice thing to happen to anyone?

Just before repossession, we had to sort out somewhere to live,

Not many options, on that issue, so I see Council emergency housing team,

Right options hostel / homeless centre/ we come and pick you up, morning of your eviction,

Then we said still got youngest at home with us, which was truthful, she was age 17,

we can offer help with rent deposit, scheme also we send you to see,

Some of the letting agents they use,

Cut long story short, got private rented flat, got cheque for £1,500

For Rental agent it was made payable to them, and not to us,

All I signed for was, to collect cheque, and hand in to letting agent for flat,

Didn’t sign credit agreement, or anything like it?

Now gets interesting

walked away from house, moved in to flat,

In private rented flat rent was £750.00 per month

Council Tax then roughly £100.00 per month

I couldn’t work at all, was ill claiming just basic IB

My partner had a job in shop, average take home for month roughly £800.00 per month

Youngest girl just EMA £30.00 a week,

We really struggled some times, had no money at all,

Wouldn’t give us Council tax relief, all we got was £30.00 a month payment off

Housing benefit towards rent

Council tax issue, Private Flat and repossessed House?

I got arrested for non-payment of Council Tax on Repossessed House and Private Rented Flat

Went court had to pay £50.00 a month to court for 2 years,

Also £50.00 back for rent deposit loan?

Couldn’t afford to pay it, they accepted then, pay £20.00 a month

Really struggling now, so rob peter to pay Paul,

Started to fall behind with rent for flat, managed then to get re housed by,

Council lucky because we would have ended up being evicted for not paying rent,

On private rented flat.

Now

Okay moved out got Council flat, and life’s what you make it?

Rents not that cheap ever, nearly £450.00 per month council tax £75.00 per month,

I just stop paying £20.00 a month back to rent deposit loan off council,

Now also my medical problems, serious heart condition extreme arthritis, both legs

Nerve damage both arms and hands,

Losing sense of feeling both hands nightmare that.

I only get long term rate IB and highest rate mobility element DLA.

My Partner brings home roughly £1, 0000 a month.

We are just over the threshold to be able to get working tax credit.

We pay our rent and council tax our selves no help at all off benefits.

Right Jacobs I haven’t responded, to them yet,

I document and videoed took photos,

Of Notice Removal of Implied Right of Access stuck on front door,

I was going to send them copy of that,

But I spoke to a 2 Councillors, down here yesterday

They have stated

We shall stop Jacobs and we will also deal with the Council for you.

We’ll sort out and forget bailiffs and where deal with council for you,

But you might have to agree to pay them a pound a week?

I’ve left Notice on door of flat, just in case bailiffs call,

Because we are still being hounded by debt collectors, from when we had the house?

Plus getting phone calls on our private home number from the likes, of Mackenzie Hall

And there not just asking to speak to us, they’re asking for people we never heard of?

Am I right to post them a warning letter about, do not phone this number###########

And quote harassment and nuisances.

Please note I’ve got a meeting with the 2 Councillors on Monday the 15th concerning Jacobs

I’m giving them the letters from Jacobs and the Council

Any Ideas People ?

But you might have to agree to pay them a pound a week?

Any and all payments DIRECT to the council you do not need to deal with the bailiffs

sounds like you need to list all your debts and contact a debt charity

step change are free and should give you all the options in moving forwards with things

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

From your post it would seem that you had been arrested for non payment of council tax and the court ordered you to pay £50 per month and they order you to also pay a FURTHER £50 per month in relation to the rent cheque of £1,500 that you had kept and not paid to the private landlord.

In total the court ordered you to pay £100 per month ( which is very fair indeed given that they could have committed you to prison).

You could not pay such an amount and the court agreed to significantly reduce the monthly payment from £100 per month to £20 per month. You have not been able to pay this sum and the council have now referred the debt to the bailiff.

If either you or your wife has a car then this is seriously at risk of being taken by the bailiff. Be very careful indeed. If the bailiff cannot enter you home peacefully in order to levy upon goods, then the maximum fees that he can charge are capped at £42.50.

If the bailiff cannot levy or collect any money from you then the account will be referred back to the council and my concern here is that the council could make an application for committal proceedings. In particular given that they had previously agreed to significantly reduce the amount that you were ordered to pay back from £100 per month to £20 per month.

Unless you are in receipt of benefits everyone has to pay council tax and it is the case that a debt counsellor will advise you that council tax is a PRIORITY debt and should be paid before credit card debts etc.

Please do post back with any further queries.

To Tomtubby

I got done for council tax early 2009 around April that year so connection to anything and that issue was sorted out and paid?

Secondly I am in receipt of IB and DLA benefits? so that answers that question?

As for any car yes I do have a car which is registered with dvla has a disabled vehicle and displays, a disabled tax disc also

Note Loan repayment totally nothing to do with council tax its was a loan?

Never been any court connected with this issue?

So what are you going on about?

Think you might have read things wrong?

There is no connection with Rent loan and Council tax?

your making an incorrect assumption?

So has for you saying don't post anything on here about this issue,

Is totally unfounded and based on assumptions?

Are you a bailiff?

I'm wondering whom you are?

@metaloona

I can absolutely assure you that tomtubby is not a bailiff. I would also like to reassure you that tomtubby is one who has a very extensive knowledge and experience of bailiff related matters, more than you could possibly know at this stage of your membership with CAG.

If there has been any mis-reading then I am sure that tomtubby will be the first to correct that.

:-)

metaloona.

I have clearly misread your post and I do apologies. I admit that even reading the post a 2nd and 3rd time it is somewhat confusing.

From your more recent post it would seem that you do have a car and that you have a tax disc from DVLA as you are disabled.

To avoid any further stress I would certainly suggest that you write to Jacobs to outline your circumstances (health wise) and to advise the company that the vehicle is exempt from seizure and furthermore; that you will not allow a bailiff to have peaceful entry into your home.

You need to ensure your letter that you ask the company to return the debt back to the council on the basis that you are clearly classed as "vulnerable" in accordance with the National Standards for Enforcement Agents.

Once again, I do apologise for any misunderstanding.

• Haha 1

metaloona.

I have clearly misread your post and I do apologies. I admit that even reading the post a 2nd and 3rd time it is somewhat confusing.

From your more recent post it would seem that you do have a car and that you have a tax disc from DVLA as you are disabled.

To avoid any further stress I would certainly suggest that you write to Jacobs to outline your circumstances (health wise) and to advise the company that the vehicle is exempt from seizure and furthermore; that you will not allow a bailiff to have peaceful entry into your home.

You need to ensure your letter that you ask the company to return the debt back to the council on the basis that you are clearly classed as "vulnerable" in accordance with the National Standards for Enforcement Agents.

Once again, I do apologise for any misunderstanding.

Okay Tomtubby Apology accepted

I can understand my first post on this issue would seem confusing,

I wrote it while a bit distressed, think most people in my circumstances, would be stressed out,

Some things do get to us all somethings,

Thing was I did try to keep it brief as possible,

So I'll apologies to you, I should have spent a bit more time on the post, and put dates applicable.

regards Metaloona and thanks for any advice given

Tomtubby

And all whom may be in interested in future,

Both the Council and Jacobs have been made aware, of my circumstances disabled + serious illness have major mobility issues.

I have received confirmation, that Jacobs have been put on stop, via e-mail from Councils Financial offices,

I have also offered, to make payments based on what, I can afford,

So I am willing to pay.

I did state in correspondence, about The National Standards For Enforcement Agents,

Section 9 Vulnerable Situations

Seriously ill persons

disabled Persons

the Recently Bereaved

My mother passed away 4 weeks ago breast Cancer, I had to deal with her arrangements, and make sure my 80 year old Father is safe.

The Council stated / or the person I'm dealing with seems ? didn't know about that, The National Standards For Enforcement Agents

Got back Where look in to that,

I even sent them a link to Ministry Of Justices UK web site which host the PDF

Not very good if Council denying knowledge of that I'm not sure if I accept,

The Council Don't know about it,

Makes me wonder how many people get threats and demands from Bailiffs,

That all Councils might really know are in a vulnerable situation,

I don't expect an answer to that, but it is worrying?

What you have said about the Council not knowing is actually very common. A lot of Councils think they can just wash their hands about everything and do not realise they are 100% liable for the actions & charges of their contractors. Complaints made to Councils about Bailiffs usually get handed to the Bailiffs to answer which comes back on headed Council papers where they back their Bailiff completely. Only after proving them to the numpties they are does anything get done - after all if the Councils were perfect then there would be no need for the LGO.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What you have said about the Council not knowing is actually very common. A lot of Councils think they can just wash their hands about everything and do not realise they are 100% liable for the actions & charges of their contractors. Complaints made to Councils about Bailiffs usually get handed to the Bailiffs to answer which comes back on headed Council papers where they back their Bailiff completely. Only after proving them to the numpties they are does anything get done - after all if the Councils were perfect then there would be no need for the LGO.

Ploddertom

In my experiences it's also come to my attention, that little or even non of the local Councilors are aware of National Standards For Enforcement Agents

And some councilors actually come from a legal background, Okay they might not have dealt with these sort of things.

There seems to be a lack of information / communication issue between Local Government and Government

Seems Whitehall doesn't tell them anything? only when it suits the purpose.

Not getting in to politics on this just my thought.

You might want to remind the council that the National Standards for Enforcement Agents were updated last year and in the Press Release issued by the Justice Minister it was made very clear indeed that local authorities MUST ensure that they too abide by the NSEA.