Esa

a2o
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I heard last week that I am to receive forms for ESA to be transferred off of Long Term Incapacity Benefit.

I won't stand a chance of support group but wondered if anyone could suggest what might happen when I fill out the form. I know no one can say for sure but some ideas as this is my first (and if I have anything to do with it my last) encounter with them.

I have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to assist me.

Is the form really bad? It is impossible now to find assistance to help with forms so I was going to do it myself but have heard the odd thing about it being very long and complicated.

Since I know I am likely to be unsupported I plan on telling them in the form that I actually do want to work despite health issues, which is true and also a necessity now.

Next to overwhelming anxiety about returning to work I have major issues in that I have been away for so long I lack any meaningful modern skills, computer especially and feel I would benefit greatly from support, training courses and assistance.

Can anyone advise how best to put this please.

Also what chance is there that I'll be put in WRAG whilst I make the above adjustments and transition, I'm guessing not good and I do know people can't be specific but best guess is helpful.

I need to now roughly what I'm dealing with and can reasonably expect in order to go through with this, I really hope I don't have to have a sham 'medical', doctors are baffled enough how can these people understand.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello there.

I'll post a link to the sticky about filling in an ESA50 for physical problems. It has an example of the form in it. If your problem is mental, please let us know and we can post a couple of sites that have advice on how to fill the ESA50 in for mental health.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you for your response. Whilst I experience both physical and emotional it is more the emotional for which I need assistance in filling the form.

Mainly though I am not too worried about the form, from what I have gathered in three years of research it really won't matter what I say anyway - that seems to be consistent but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this and what the result was.

Again my thanks for your response.

Hi again, don't wish to make multiple posts but just wanted to ask about the possibility of training/support. Am I being rather niaeve to hope for such? Regards.

:a2o:

One guide to completing the mental health part of an ESA50. In addition to help with the form, the factsheet has some guidance about supportive evidence and a description of the work capability assessment process.

http://www.rethink.org/living_with_mental_illness/money_debt_benefits/benefits/employment_and_support_allowance/work_capability_asse.html

Atos allow four weeks to return the form so you can do a bit at a time, as and when you feel able.

Happy :ranger:, Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**

Hi again, don't wish to make multiple posts but just wanted to ask about the possibility of training/support. Am I being rather niaeve to hope for such? Regards.

Sorry; but yes. Nothing to stop you asking though. If you're put in the work group (WRAG) you may get help with training to return to work.

In my experience of helping other people claiming ESA, if you give any indication that you want to return to work you will almost certainly 'fail' the assessment. I am not, of course, advocating lying on your form or at the assessment, but there is no need to sabotage yourself from the start. Read all you can find online about filling in the form as what you write does sometimes make a difference, then fill in the form one question at a time being totally honest about how your difficulties affect your ability to do each task. If you have any supporting evidence such as letters from your GP, hospital appointment letters or even your prescription list, then send them with the form.

The time to ask for help returning to work is after the assessment process is finished, but you should be aware that the help available may be quite limited.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Your not alone!!!!!!

Iv found the 'rethink' web link a endless help in preparing for my tribunal.

Listen to the fantasic advice from the people on here as well, they are all lovely people. Good luck with the forms :)

All the best

Holly

Starryeyes, Nystagmite, reallymadwoman and helpplease, thank you all for your input and help. It has made a difference to how I will approach it, I see the points made.

Thing is I never have been unwilling but really need support and assistance but I did wonder if it was too much to ask. Simply doesn't make sense though, seems to me if you insist on sending the ill back to work the least you might do is offer help, but then that would make sense.

What I am trying to avoid is a face to face meeting, I am freaked out by the very idea of being forced to stay in a room with people I don't know, that's the problem with anxiety though. I'm not entirely sure how far I will be able to go with the process and I'm certain I don't stand a chance but nothing ventured I guess.

Thank you all again for your help and support, invaluable.

I wish all well with whatever they are dealing with.

Unfortunately despite what the government says there is no practical help for those on ESA WRAG, because to all intent and purpose you are treated the same as JSA claimants the difference being that you cannot be forced to look for or apply for work and the weekly benefit rate is higher.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Im going through the same nightmare. Only at a further stage, im applealing. My argument was I want the support to get back into work, but I hear you dont get any where if you say you want to get better??

Such a floored system it really is not fit for purpose. And is seems as if non of them understand depression & anxiety, its not something thats easy to bring up and explain how you feel.

Wish you all the best hun. Sorry for the rant!!

Holly

What I am trying to avoid is a face to face meeting, I am freaked out by the very idea of being forced to stay in a room with people I don't know, that's the problem with anxiety though. I'm not entirely sure how far I will be able to go with the process and I'm certain I don't stand a chance but nothing ventured I guess.

Unless you have very strong supporting evidence you will almost certainly have to attend a face to face assessment. You absolutely must be accompanied by a relative or friend to the assessment otherwise you will be given no points for getting around by yourself or dealing with social situations. It has been suggested elsewhere that if a person with mental health difficulties gets to the assessment alone they are automatically found fit for work.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Unfortunately despite what the government says there is no practical help for those on ESA WRAG, because to all intent and purpose you are treated the same as JSA claimants the difference being that you cannot be forced to look for or apply for work and the weekly benefit rate is higher.

I am quite speechless to find how utterly farcical the system is, it beggars belief that there is nothing in place to assist this transition.

Indeed though, I find it best to take government rhetoric with a huge pinch of salt.

My thanks for your response.

Im going through the same nightmare. Only at a further stage, im applealing. My argument was I want the support to get back into work, but I hear you dont get any where if you say you want to get better??

Such a floored system it really is not fit for purpose. And is seems as if non of them understand depression & anxiety, its not something thats easy to bring up and explain how you feel.

Wish you all the best hun. Sorry for the rant!!

Holly

Absolutely no apologies for ranting needed here, in fact I thought you most restrained, from a fellow ranter I salute you. It really does help expel the negative energy to just scream it out I think, not to say I thought you were screaming, was thinking more of myself when faced with frustration.

You have hit on the very thing I have problems with, how to articulate what it does. When you live with it day in day out I find you work around it and it becomes second nature so actually describing it is so difficult and then when I do it doesn't sound anything like I experience it.

I wish you success with your appeal.

Unless you have very strong supporting evidence you will almost certainly have to attend a face to face assessment. You absolutely must be accompanied by a relative or friend to the assessment otherwise you will be given no points for getting around by yourself or dealing with social situations. It has been suggested elsewhere that if a person with mental health difficulties gets to the assessment alone they are automatically found fit for work.

Thank you, I was desperate to avoid it, I know they won't put me in WRAG and I won't qualify for the support group so I know it's quite pointless and hoped they would just do it without me there but I am resigned and I shall take someone with me.

Does anyone have a rough idea how long it will be til I get the form? I got my letter last week and they tried to call 3 times (I don't answer the phone if I don't know you so I didn't pick up) and was expecting the forms this morning.

Any idea how long it takes in total from now on until I'm seen?

Thank you all for your responses, I am so disappointed there isn't support or training, it seems quite essential when dealing with this but have just made myself chuckle there, when did any of this make sense?

It seems to vary from each benefit delivery centre (BDC) / ATOS. You are meant to be assessed sometime around week 14. I waited until week 22 to hear something. (wasn't on IB and went straight into the support group)

I second taking someone with you. And don't make an effort - they want to see you as you are normally.

Absolutely no apologies for ranting needed here, in fact I thought you most restrained, from a fellow ranter I salute you. It really does help expel the negative energy to just scream it out I think, not to say I thought you were screaming, was thinking more of myself when faced with frustration.

You have hit on the very thing I have problems with, how to articulate what it does. When you live with it day in day out I find you work around it and it becomes second nature so actually describing it is so difficult and then when I do it doesn't sound anything like I experience it.

I wish you success with your appeal.

This highlights what so many people have problems with when asked "how does it effect you on a daily basis?" It's difficult to quantify, some days are OK, some days or weeks are desperate, most find a way to live with their problems because it's a case of having to. To try and distill this into a daily 'snapshot' is frankly unrealistic.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Hello again, Well I got my form - obviously on a Saturday, they always come Saturday's.

Anyway it says in the form that they want to call me for an appointment but I don't take calls, can anyone tell me if they will write instead. I will not answer the phone at all so I hope they will do this.

Also it says I 'may' be called for an appointment, does anyone know what they mean by 'may'?

As ever my appreciation for your replies.

You are under absolutely no obligation to even give ATOS/DWP a phone number never mind answer their calls. If they can't get you on the phone they will write, and even if you did make an appointment by phone they still have to confirm it in writing.

Some people are awarded ESA based on the information on their form and/or any supporting evidence they send, some people have to attend an assessment. It seems to be at least partly a postcode lottery as well as in some areas the backlog is so huge they simply cannot assess everyone.

Familiarise yourself with the descriptors and make a realistic assessment of which you meet so you can tailor your replies to match them. Be aware that some questions on the form do not match the descriptors and don't feel obliged to tick boxes if none of them apply exactly. Make your answers on the form as detailed as you can - if you fill in the online form you get extra space, otherwise continue on extra sheets but make sure you put your name and NI number on each page - and include copies of any evidence you have, even a copy of your repeat prescription list might help.

• Haha 1

RMW

Reallymadwoman, you sound remarkably sane to me! Thank you so much for your response, it has helped, especially about not ticking boxes if they don't fit since it says I must fill them out so that's great.

I am not going to be one who passes this but I will follow your suggestions and my profound thanks for your help.