Default on a default barclays

Inertia Creeps
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There

About a month ago I received a copy of my credit file from Experian via a free trial. I got into financial difficulties in 2005 and defaulted on various debts. None of those were listed on my credit file even though I paid all debts in full by late 2009 and I also finished paying a Barclay loan in December 2012.

Today I have just checked my file and have been shocked as information has been added to my file with regards to some of these debts. My main issue is with the Barclayloan which is showing up as still being in default from 2011 even though I have paid this debt in full. I spoke to Experian with regards to this and they are saying because Barclays logged the account as being in default in 2011 this will stay on my file for the next 6 years. I explained to Experian that I have a copy of my original default notice, dating back to December 2005 and Experian are saying that you cannot have more than 1 default notice for one debt and that I need to get this corrected. I am currently at the beginning of a mortgage process so what do I do? Tried to call Barclays this morning and getting fobbed off.

I also have an entry from CL finance who I paid in full in 2009 but is saying that I've made 6 late payments in the last 6 months.

Any info greatly recieved as I'm in a blind panic.

Just to add, I have just opened my post and found a cheque from Barclays for just over £3000 for a PPI claim. I can't believe it. I find they've trashed my credit file with incorrect information on the same day I've recieved money from them. You just couldn't make this up.

Write to the data controller at Barclay's.

Give them 28 days to rectify. If they don't then issue a complaint with the ICO

Thanks for advice Stan. I need them to rectify in less than 28 days because of my mortgage application. Doubt it will happend though. Do you know if there are any templates on data correction I could use as a guide? And would I also need to ask Experian to put a note on my file to say it is being disputed?

Hi there

At the beginning of the week I checked my credit file and it was scoring at excellent, today I checked as I am about to enter into a mortgage process and it seems to have changed overnight to "fair".

Upon checking my file I noticed that I have a default registered against me from Barclays in 2011. This account has now been paid in full but is still showing in red as a default. I also have a letter dated from them in December 2005 saying my account was in default and that I would be sent a default notice if I hadn't recieved it already.

I'm checking paperwork to see if I can find the actual default itself but do I have a case to write to Barclays asking them to correct it? If so this means the default will drop off by now hence improving my mortgage chances.

Thanks for any advice.

The Default should only stay 6 years from the first placement. So it should have dropped off by 2012 if they placed it in 2005.

Yes, perhaps write to the creditor and find out what is going on.

If they mentioned in 2005 that they were going to place the default marker then they had to do this within 6 months.. not nearly 6 years later !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

shame you wasted the money in paying it.

makes no odds at all to removing the marker

or the default.

was this account even on your CRA file when you checked before?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi There

About a month ago I received a copy of my credit file from Experian via a free trial. I got into financial difficulties in 2005 and defaulted on various debts. None of those were listed on my credit file even though I paid all debts in full by late 2009 and I also finished paying a Barclay loan in December 2012.

Today I have just checked my file and have been shocked as information has been added to my file with regards to some of these debts. My main issue is with the Barclayloan which is showing up as still being in default from 2011 even though I have paid this debt in full. I spoke to Experian with regards to this and they are saying because Barclays logged the account as being in default in 2011 this will stay on my file for the next 6 years. I explained to Experian that I have a copy of my original default notice, dating back to December 2005 and Experian are saying that you cannot have more than 1 default notice for one debt and that I need to get this corrected. I am currently at the beginning of a mortgage process so what do I do? Tried to call Barclays this morning and getting fobbed off.

I also have an entry from CL finance who I paid in full in 2009 but is saying that I've made 6 late payments in the last 6 months.

Any info greatly recieved as I'm in a blind panic.

The CL finance entry will be remove in 2015 it makes no difference to the default status even if you have paid the debt off.

A couple of points 1, Because a default notice was issued in 2005 does not necessarily mean that a default was actually place at that time.

The Barclays account, there is no point in telephoning them, you need to write to their Data Controller and query the entry send a screen print of the file entries.

ALL default entries are removed on the 6th anniversary of the default date, but paying the debt off does not get the entry removed until that anniversary.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The CL Finance is not registering as a default but a delinquent account. From what I can understand is that they are saying that account was 6 months in arrears for 3 years but I entered a DMP in 2005 and payments were made to them every month without fail. I always made sure those payments were made at the expense of others. I have other accounts on my credit file that were also paid for via the DMP and non of those are showing late or non payment, everything else is clear. It also says that it will stay on my account from the time it was settled which is Jan 2010. I understand the logic of the default being on the credit for file for 6 years but not what exactly a delinquent account is and what it means. Is it worth asking CL Finance for an SAR?

Hi Any payments to a delinquent account that are not the required monthly payments can either result in a default or as in seems in your case reported as a delinquent account ie late/missed or varied payments from the original agreement.

The maintenance of payments through a DMP don't have any effect on the previous conduct of the account.

Cl will have only the absolute minimum of details just from the date they acquired the account but a SAR may

turn up something.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

When you say required payments, do you mean the amount agreed with CL Finance? I was paying them £16.30 through payplan and I have just managed to find a few statements dated from 2007. I have September's, then I am missing October and November but on December it has a charge of £25.00 which must be some sort of late payment fee. I also still have bank statements from 2007 so I just checked them to see if there was any possibility that the direct debit to payplan was not made but it was. I hope that this is not the reason why my account is being marked up as always being 6 months in arrears because it certainly wasn't and I also have proof that this account was always paid every month either. I'm not denying I got myself into trouble through stupid actions but I paid back every penny and I feel that there are incorrect entries on my file that have affected my credit rating just as I'm in the process of applying for a mortgage. What is the process if you feel a DCA or bank has put incorrect info on your credit file?

Really appreciative of all the info given, you can imagine I'm not a happy bunny right now!!

''Required Payments'' those that were required by the original agreement, the payplan and any other payments to an account that are kept up at the agreed level do not rectify the ''delinquency '' of an account.

An example that comes up often on the forums is '' someone has defaulted on an account, and does not remedy the default in line with the time scale given on the default notice (usually 14 day) this is reported on credit file, the person then either makes a ''payment arrangement'' with the creditor or a DCA and keeps this payment up without fail, we then see that this person has checked credit file and is dismayed to find the account is still reported as a ''default' which is of course correct, as the ''default was not remedied in accordance with the default notice''.

It is the same with late/missed payments what ever payments are made AFTER this point do not change the status of the account.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome, if you need further help just let me know.

Because a default notice was issued in 2005 does not necessarily mean that a default was actually place at that time.

How would they be able to send me a default notice in 2005 then add it on my credit file in 2011? I can only find a letter telling me in 2005 that my loan account is in default etc but I dont have proof of the notice even though I have found the default notice for the bank account and the credit card I had with Barclays which are all dated on the same day.

Are there any templates I can use to send a letter to Barclays. I'm assuming I need to send it to the Data Controller as opposed to the customer complaints address in Leicester? If I cannot find the default notice I will send the letter of threat and see what I can do from there.

I wonder if this had already dropped of as the org default was over 6yrs old

if this is the case

then they CANNOT reserect the account on the cra file

once its defaulted and dropped off - its gone.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A default notice is an advice that a default may/will be placed if the default is not remedied it is not in its self a default just information as to what may happen if the situation is not remedied.

I'm guessing maybe that no default was actually recorded in 2005.

DNs are not stored as hard copy a note that a DN was sent on a specific date is made on the customers account records.

A SAR to Barclays may be the answer.

I already have an SAR from them that I requested in 2010. I can find default notices for my bank account and barclaycard but only a letter saying my loan account is in default and I will be receiving the notice shortly if I haven't already. Do you think it is worth me challenging it? I really have no idea why my account was put into default in 2011 and it's really annoyed me. Since 2005 I have worked hard to sort out my debts and they have taken me 5 years to satisfy. I'm almost beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered if there is no distinction between satisfied and unsatisfied debts on my credit file.

Ok. I have looked at the exact default date which is registering as 17th August 2011. I have also gone through all my bank statements from 2011. In December 2010 I made a payment to Barclays twice. I believe I probably did this because I forgot that I had already made the payment. This extra payment should have put my payment obligations in "credit" so to speak.

I made a payment to Barclays on 23rd March and then another on May 3rd 2011 so I missed a payment in April. I now remember that I was abroad for 2 weeks for the last 2 weeks of April. Even with this missed payment, I still made 12 payments in the year of 2011 and made two extra in December 2010 so I cannot see how this account was in default. I believe that my account was in default in 2005 (which I will admit it was) and even though I have a letter of threat that my account was going into default status I cannot find it.

Just an update as this is driving me crackers!!

I have looked at the exact default date which is registering as 17th August 2011. I have also gone through all my bank statements from 2011. In December 2010 I made a payment to Barclays twice. I believe I probably did this because I forgot that I had already made the payment. This extra payment should have put my payment obligations in "credit" so to speak.

I made a payment to Barclays on 23rd March and then another on May 3rd 2011 so I missed a payment in April. I now remember that I was abroad for 2 weeks for the last 2 weeks of April. Even with this missed payment, I still made 12 payments in the year of 2011 and made two extra in December 2010 so I cannot see how this account was in default. I believe that my account was in default in 2005 (which I will admit it was) and even though I have a letter of threat that my account was going into default status I cannot find it.

Does anyone think I could have a case??

It will have been defaulted because of erratic payments I think.

Well I have finally sent a letter off to Barclays with regards to the default. Let's see how I get on there. I'm wondering on whether to tackle the CL Finance delinquency. I have to admit I'm a bit confused exactly what delinquency means even tho Brig has done their best to explain.

What is the point of it?

Why not just default the account?

Been looking online to try and educate myself but there doesn't seem to be much info on it.

I notice the delinquency date on my credit file is the same day that I settled the account. Is that right?

Delinquent debts those that are not being paid on time, or payments are erratic or ceased

The term ''date last delinquent'' often used bon CRA files indicates the date when a payment

was due and not made after which no further payment was ever made ie the date from which

the 6 year statute barred clock starts.

As to the last point exactly what shows on the file?