style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i have a question regarding the baliffs right to enter.

I have a 23 year old wayward son,

who has accumilated £1400.00 of unpaid fines.

It would appear that he has given our home address as his home address.

He has never lived at this address, nor did he live at our last address.

we recieved letters from marstons to start with,

i replied, they replied and asked me to send them my council tax bill to prove he didnt live here.

i said NO, my council tax bill is none of your business.

A few weeks later a knock on the door,

2 guys from marstons turn up wanting to come in a see my son,

he doesnt live here i replied,

we need to come in and confirm that they said.

I replied FO and they did, never to be heard of again ( so far ) that was about 2 months ago.

i have now received paperwork from a company called Collectica,

telling me that they will be forcing entry to my property under the DVCV act.

Do they have the right to enter if the debtor does not live at the address and who's job is it to prove he doesnt live there.

Hi,

i have a question regarding the baliffs right to enter. I have a 23 year old wayward son, who has accumilated £1400.00 of unpaid fines. It would appear that he has given our home address as his home address. He has never lived at this address, nor did he live at our last address. we recieved letters from marstons to start with, i replied, they replied and asked me to send them my council tax bill to prove he didnt live here. i said NO, my council tax bill is none of your business. A few weeks later a knock on the door, 2 guys from marstons turn up wanting to come in a see my son, he doesnt live here i replied, we need to come in and confirm that they said. I replied FO and they did, never to be heard of again ( so far ) that was about 2 months ago. i have now recieved paperwork from a company called Collectica, telling me that they will be forcing entry to my property under the DVCV act. Do they have the right to enter if the debtor does not live at the address and who's job is it to prove he doesnt live there.

Take the letter with any proof of who lives at your address down to your local magistrates court and ask to speak to someone responsible for bailiffs/collection of fines. They can then deal with it and call off the bailiffs.

The bailiffs are acting on behalf of the court, so you can deal directly with the court to resolve this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

http://www.ico.org.uk/~/media/documents/decisionnotices/2009/FS_50159091.ashx

Apparently the powers of search and entry under the DVCV Act only apply to CEOs and AEAs where there is a warrant for arrest, detention or commitment in proceedings or in connection with any criminal offence. They cannot therefore be used to enforce civil debts.

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It would appear you had two threads on the go, so I have merged them :)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

i replied, they replied and asked me to send them my council tax bill to prove he didnt live here. And how was that going to prove anything as it only has the liable persons name(s) on it & certainly would not list offspring.

They cannot therefore be used to enforce civil debts.

This is for unpaid Magistrate Court Fines

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Citizen.

Thank you for posting the ICO Complaint. I forgot all about this...I had a copy a long time ago.

When Baroness Ashton introduced the change to section 4 of the DVCV Act 2004 there were so many complaints as this inclusion (Section 4A) had been introduced without anyone knowing and no complaints could be made at the time as the House of Commons was in Summer recess.

As you can see from the report, even with the ICO being involved, MOJ were allowed to keep much of the information requested redacted.

The ICO report is confusing as it states in paragraph 4 the following:

"The powers of search and entry under the DVCV Act are designed to make executing warrants of arrest, commitment, detention and distress more effective and to ensure that fines remain an effective sentence".

Paragraph 5 then states that the Powers of search and entry under the DVCV Act only apply to CEOa and AEAs where there is a warrant for arrest, detention or commitment in proceedings or in connection with any criminal offence.

Such powers of entry cannot of apply to civil debts.

What is confirmed is that forced entry is used very rarely.

This is for unpaid Magistrate Court Fines

sorry, I missed that :(

BCOBS

http://www.ico.org.uk/~/media/documents/decisionnotices/2009/FS_50159091.ashx

Apparently the powers of search and entry under the DVCV Act only apply to CEOs and AEAs where there is a warrant for arrest, detention or commitment in proceedings or in connection with any criminal offence. They cannot therefore be used to enforce civil debts.

HTH

it is not a civil debt, its magistrates court fines

the best thing for you to do IS send a copy of the C/T bill in

just say that your son has never lived at this address and has no assets at this address

you have no contact with your son at all, you have dis-owned him or something like that.

the C/T bill will prove that you live their, as much as it can do as other people can live their and not be named on the bill, but then a report will be returned to the courts and the courts will do futher searches to where your son lives.

on the forced entry bit,

Can the bailiff force entry into my home?

If the bailiff is pursuing you for an unpaid fine of a criminal nature…then the answer unfortunately is... yes. However, this is more of a threat and during the past year it would appear that bailiffs forced entry into a property to enforce a Distress Warrant on less that 10 occasions.

The right for bailiffs acting on behalf of the Magistrates Court the power to “enter and search any premises” for the purpose of executing a Warrant of Distress was granted under Paragraph 3 of Schedule 4A of the Magistrates Courts Act 2004. This provision was also then inserted into the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004.

The right to force entry however only applies to the collection of unpaid fines which are criminal matters

they are rarely used and the CEO would have to show resonable cause or suspicion that the debtor does live their.

sending the C/T bill in takes a lot of that reasonable cause away

hope you get it sorted

it is not a civil debt, its magistrates court fines

Thank you yes, ploddertom advised earlier. I had indeed missed that fact and have apologised. !

BCOBS