Universal Credit's ‘digital by default’ ditched

osdset
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The government has rowed back on its ‘digital-by-default’ stance on universal credit, which expects the vast majority of benefit applicants to make and update claims online.

The government had previously insisted the credit would be “digital by default”, and set a target for 80% of claims to be made online by 2017.

The shift comes amid growing concern among senior local government figures about the government-commissioned universal credit IT systems.

A second source from one of the ‘pathfinder’ authorities, which are expected to pioneer the new welfare regime, said the technology was “not “fit for purpose”.

The department appeared to be “in disarray” as it grappled with the scale of change, the source said, and added that such uncertainty was “alarming” for councils which will be expected to offer face-to-face support for claimants.

Source http://www.lgcplus.com/topics/benefits/universal-credits-digital-by-default-ditched/5057200.article?blocktitle=Most-popular&contentID=-1

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Totally expected. Must be nice to be able to think up hare-brained schemes at will, finance them with tax-payers money, then bin them when they don't work..and all with no accountability.

As for the bit about 'technology not being fit for purpose', they shouldn't have used Windows Vista to run it. Tut! :)

If Microsoft have problems when they introduce new systems,

what chance has IDS

after all

It is private contractors with the promise of bug bonus payments trying to get this monstrosity off the ground, but as always, the tax payer will pick up the tab, fail or not

Remember that super NHS computer, and the money pumped into that as well, but we do not talk about any more, I wonder why??

..you mean they're re-writing the software to run on Windows 8?? Expect further delays, folks! :)

Yes, that's another endearing trait of our government; they never know when to simply quit when something isn't working.

Microsoft are lazy and tightfisted, they get the end user to beta test OS systems then rely on feedback to engineer the service updates, saves them employing testers.

The worrying thing with UC is that the DWP will press on with the rollout whether the IT is in place or not. This means everything must be hand processed like it used to be, which was kind of OK back in the day, but the new system relies on processing power to number crunch the data. CPAG had an introductory UC session a while back and feedback from them suggests that even basic benefit calculations under UC done manually will take many hours.

It's claimants that will suffer.

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Yes, back in the day when I was in DHSS Pensions, it was all hand-done..our most used implement was the stapler; EVERYTHING was on card or paper and there was a staff of 12,000 at the central office I worked at.

Good points? Well, we had full employment (in fact it was grossly over-staffed), our own banks on-site, even our own barbers (the DHSS used to work weekends then), a bar in the huge canteen for a lunchtime pint, extended lunch on a Friday to go to the pub and other perks. Plus the job was guaranteed for life; even if you were the worst troublemaker the most they'd do is transfer you to another office (ask me how I know that :) )

, nobody ever got sacked. You just plodded along at your own speed and the job always got done - the good old British Civil Service at it's best!

Contrast that with the idiotic schemes they come up with now...somebody give me a time-machine please!

A childhood friend of mine went on to work for the civil service after leaving school. We met up a few years later, he told me that he had left after four years because of the terminal boredom, he would spend his days drawing cartoon sheep for want of something to do.

Yes, the boredom was the result of having 5 people to do a job which only needed one. Our place had lots of little cafeterias which were open all day so when bored we'd offer to go to the stationery section and get supplies...which was right at the other end of the site and meant we passed 3 or four of these cafes, where we'd nip in and have beans on toast, a mars bar and coffee. Sometimes twice - once on the way there and once coming back! 'Big queue at the stationery section' we'd explain, wiping the chocolate off our mouths..

It was the most rule-free, relaxed job I ever had - what a shock I got when I left and started doing 'proper' work!

All this waste of money....and yet they still bang on about the benefits draining the taxpayers...I would love a list of all the money wasting examples like this one and post them everywhere, not just online either, I doubt anyone in power would give a damn but nothing new there I guess.

Biggest waste has to be on computers and software - I read once years back that they spent £200 million on 'new' systems for one year alone..and they didn't work so they were binned.

They call the unemployed 'wasters' - we couldn't 'waste' in ten years what the government wastes in one month..or maybe one week. We're far easier to blame though.

That's very true Nystagmite, and paying taxes on all we buy, and to the local council too...we aren't such a bad lot, in fact the only bad lot is the govt, penalising unemployed when they know damn well there aren't the jobs available, and those that are can easily be out of reach for people like me certainly. Its strange how someone quite interested at the start can be very quickly uninterested when they find that I suffer with Bipolar Disorder, Fibromyalgia and am newly diagnosed Diabetic. Endless symptoms from all three affect me every day. It seems I cant even get any voluntary work, I thought a few hours a week may be good for me and lead to something better, I have just tried to gain some without detailing any illnesses and got an interview for next week. Just a few hours a week. I know I will have to divulge if asked but at least by saying nothing initially I am getting half a chance by being seen at least.

Don't worry about the waste of money, this will be passed on to the jobseekers. A couple of thousand sanctions here and there and the money is recovered.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Yes it will encourage people to be on their guard and provide ample proof of jobseeking so they're not the ones targeted...and hopefully they'll be prepared to complain and make an issue if they are wrongfully picked on.

I try and tell as many people about it as I can but there are still loads who are simply not interested in watching out for themselves - these are the ones who will suffer, because the JC will soon spot them.

Yes, the boredom was the result of having 5 people to do a job which only needed one. Our place had lots of little cafeterias which were open all day so when bored we'd offer to go to the stationery section and get supplies...which was right at the other end of the site and meant we passed 3 or four of these cafes, where we'd nip in and have beans on toast, a mars bar and coffee. Sometimes twice - once on the way there and once coming back! 'Big queue at the stationery section' we'd explain, wiping the chocolate off our mouths..

It was the most rule-free, relaxed job I ever had - what a shock I got when I left and started doing 'proper' work!

Rest assured that it is not like that these days. Oh, it's hardly the most demanding job around, but they do actually keep an eye on what you're doing all day. One of my HEOs actually tried to implement a rule that we weren't allowed to go to our colleagues desks to talk about work (well, unless we flexied out). This reduced productivity dramatically so it only lasted a few weeks, but it was indicative of the way these guys think nowadays.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Rest assured that it is not like that these days. Oh, it's hardly the most demanding job around, but they do actually keep an eye on what you're doing all day. One of my HEOs actually tried to implement a rule that we weren't allowed to go to our colleagues desks to talk about work (well, unless we flexied out). This reduced productivity dramatically so it only lasted a few weeks, but it was indicative of the way these guys think nowadays.

Wow, I left over ten years ago, and though not like in jasta'a time, it wasn't quite that harsh. But we were getting into targets for processing, and our 'boxes' were closely monitored by the EO's. And taking sick leave meant having an interrogation under bright lights in the HEO's office, and we'd get a stern talking to for being 30 seconds late - I got in one day, the bus was late and took my coat off and sat down, the EO came over and said 'this is the second time you've been late in two weeks, you came in the same time last Tuesday', I had to be there by 9.30 and I looked at the clock on my computer and it was 9.31, these were the only two times I was late - I started going in for 8.30 just to be safe. But the fraud team spent an awful lot of time in the pub and had a much more relaxed environment, so maybe it depended on the boss.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I wonder when all this discipline in the DHSS/DWP suddenly kicked in then? Overnight, it seems! I think there's only a few hundred working at my old place now, rather than the 12,000 when I was there - in fact, most of the site has been sold off or demolished and grassed-over. Says it all really, doesn't it.

Oh, and while I worked there, we had guys standing outside the gates selling the 'Morning Star'..a communist newspaper at the time - don't know if it's still going. A lot of staff bought it too - do that today and you'd probably be invited to an internal 'interview' to discuss your political views...

Edited by jasta11

What happens to people whose disabilities mean they can't use a computer / internet? It's a reasonable adjustment to provide different ways of applying for stuff.

That's why IDS is heading for his downfall. He is not liked by his own party. He is going down a road that only leads to his downfall, His party is only to happy wait. What happens to the people who really need help?

They don't care, it's inter party politics,no more no less.

regards

pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

I have basic knowledge in using a computer, but unfortunately I wont be able to pay for internet much longer, my payments for that are now being used to pay council tax, which is fine if that's what I have to do so be it as they couldn't give a flying f*** what I think anyway, but it means I wouldn't be able to do job search at home, nearest seetect to me is about £8 maybe more fare per round trip by bus, so if they force me onto that it will cost more in fares than the amount I have to pay council tax. so they make me pay £4.55 approx. per week for council tax and the fares to seetec would be £8 for one trip ......but then I guess seetec pay that out of their millions of pounds the govt give them to do a poor job and not achieve much....hmmmm fantastic logic.