Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

How to fill in a small claim form? - Damage to property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all, im not sure if im in the right place but here goes


Im ground floor tenement block , My upstairs neighbor flooded me. I had no insurance (cancelled because i lost my job), I reported the issue to tenant above, who told me he was just leasing property - i contacted the letting agent and all they did was repair the cause of the leek in their flat, I was left with a damage in my cealing, they did nothing.


I wrote to them re problem as the damage was a direct cause of the flat above, owner is refusing to communicate. I cant afford the repair... I thought if i send a final letter and enclose a small claim form he take it more seriously. I found forms for small claim online but have no idea how to work them?


"Damage from property above to my property and he is refusing to rectify damage? " or is there better wording i could use?


any help i would really appreciate it


thank you x

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't send a claim form with the final letter.


I would send a Letter Before Action giving them 14 days to pay.


I presume you have got a written estimate for the work required?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you for response, I have done all that - I wrote to letting agent advising I would report them to Property ombusman, I wrote a letter to owner saying that i would take legal action aswell as seeking to get their landlord registration license revoked - No response, Ive tried nice, then tried to be firm - but nothing :(


I found following information and quoted it in letter


The Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004


Section 8 Duty to maintain


(1)Subject to subsection (2) below, the owner of any part of a tenement building, being a part that provides, or is intended to provide, support or shelter to any other part, shall maintain the supporting or sheltering part so as to ensure that it provides support or shelter.


(3)The duty imposed by subsection (1) above on an owner of a part of a tenement building may be enforced by any other such owner who is, or would be, directly affected by any breach of the duty.


(4)Where two or more persons own any such part of a tenement building as is referred to in subsection (1) above in common, any of them may, without the need for the agreement of the others, do anything that is necessary for the purpose of complying with the duty imposed by that subsection.


Section 10 Recovery of costs incurred by virtue of section 8



(a)by virtue of section 8 of this Act an owner carries out maintenance to any part of a tenement; and

(b)the management scheme which applies as respects the tenement provides for the maintenance of that part,

the owner shall be entitled to recover from any other owner any share of the cost of the maintenance for which that other owner would have been liable had the maintenance been carried out by virtue of the management scheme in question.


I have printed off a court summonds form but no idea how to put my point accross, was going to send a copy to landlord to hopefully prompt a response


any help would be much appreciated x

Link to post
Share on other sites

im in scotland.....


all i need help with is the details of claim


do i just put


"Damage from property above to my property and he is refusing to rectify damage? " or something better worded


please help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you are not actually issuing a claim you can put what you want but as above it does look silly sending a dummy claim.


As asked above do you have quotes for the work required?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Careful about using the correct forms. The English and Scottish court systems are different. See http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/small-claims.


I do not litigate in Scotland but I imagine that, like in England, you are expected to send a 'letter before action' explaining yourself. The Scottish Small Claims guide on the link I posted has a few draft LBAs you can look at.


You need to explain a bit more about the basis of your claim. At the minimum, you need to explain (1) that they were under a duty to maintain the property properly, (2) that duty was breached because of the water, and (3) you have suffered loss as a result. You should state how much you are asking for.. get a written quote to fix it if you haven't already.




Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no experience in housing issues but confirm who the defendant will be, the chap upstairs or if applicable the letting agent


It is normally the letting agent who has responsibility on the upkeep of a property if they are the managing agents


But please confirm as i am using an educated guess on this

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...