Mack hall calling wife's work over my debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I've just had to phone Mackenzie Hall and ask them to remove my wife's office number from their dialling system. How dare they!! They reluctantly removed my home number from their system a couple of weeks ago for the same thing. Now they're phoning my wife.

The embarrassing thing is that they left messages on the answer phone and another of her work colleagues picked up the messages and passed them on.

What's my next step?? I owe them nothing and never have, they have probably bought old debts that they are trying to collect on. They would be statute barred from years ago. Can I take them to court for harassment and possible embarrassment??

I would love to.

Any thoughts.

I have had personal dealings in the areas I comment on, however, I am not a lawyer. Any advice I give is without prejudice and is merely my opinion based on the information I have gleaned from my experiences, understanding and interpretation of the law. You should always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional.

First of all you should definitely make an official complaint to Muck Hall - send directly to their Head office.

Then , you should also make a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, you should point out in your complaint that there is no debt to collect on, even if there were, it would be statute barred.

You should also ensure that your credit files are not being updated with any adverse entries.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Presume that this debt must have been joint, as otherwise I am not sure how they would have got her details.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You'd think that it was a joint debt, but no, it would have been a debt that was only in my name. What I find astonishing is that they can ring my wife's place of work and ask to speak to me by my name!! Then they get told that Mr XXXX doesn't work there, but they carry on phoning. Both harassing and embarrassing at the same time. Will making the complaint actually get me anywhere? Also, do I have an obligation to tell them that all debts are statute barred? I've never mentioned it 'til now to them, I've always insisted that they only contact me in writing, (which I then bin), because there is no substance to any of their letters.

I have had personal dealings in the areas I comment on, however, I am not a lawyer. Any advice I give is without prejudice and is merely my opinion based on the information I have gleaned from my experiences, understanding and interpretation of the law. You should always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional.

Contact mucky halls local trading standards office. They come down on them pretty hard and give them 5 days to resolve a complaint, unlike the FOS who give them 8 WEEKS. There is a pretty big file on them right now, so its worth contacting them asap.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I think my answer lies in telling them in writing that all debts are statute barred. According to the OFT press release from April 2009 they have been told it is unfair to chase debts when they know them to be SB. I think I'll do that and see where it gets me. The only thing that concerns me they'll offload all my details to some other idiots who'll start all over again.

Hmmmmmm

I am going to contact trading standards though, is it Ayrshire TS??

Many thanks to you all, will keep you posted.

Unless you tell them that the debts are statute barred and that you will not be accepting liability, then they will continue to pursue. Once you have told them, they cant say they "didn't know" if you decide to later make a claim of harassment against them.

Even their own industry regulator advises that once they have been made aware, they are to cease.

Last paragraph in the attached pdf :)

Stat barred debt[1].pdf

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Telling MHall debts are statute barred should be enough - but for them your admitting there is a debt, even if old, is rason enough to chase. UI would tell them that IF there WERE any debts they would be so old as to be Statute Barred. Complaint to OFT, FOS and Trading Standards are a must. Also consider Ofcom for wrong use of a phone system and the Info Commissioner for wrong use of data.

As CB has said it is the simplest and quickest way of being rid of this.

To The Compliance Manager

xxxx

Re: Debt for £ xxx .xx I do not acknowledge any such debt, and I have concluded that any such debt is statute barred so I will not be making any payment.

Final Response.

That's the simple way!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: