style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inevitably, all Governments are going to upset some people. For some reason though, Conservative Governments seem to upset the majority of the population. Granted, Thatcher was elected 3 times, but that was down to the Housing Act where anyone who did work could realistically afford to buy their council homes. I know a few that did, and the price was ridiculously low. Cameron however, will not see himself re-elected, and the Coalition means that the Lib Dems have lost all credibility. Cameron must be aware of this, but continues to hit the majority of people (working class etc).

Mod edit: Crass, immature remarks removed. Please stick to the rules.

You don't need to guess where I'm from, but it's obviously somewhere up North.

Edited by ims21

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

It looks like you can do hate.

This is an example for you Scarlet.

Not really.

Firstly, he is agreeing with Squaddie that Bliar is a war criminal; that is a moot point but it is an opinion shared by many on all sides.

Secondly, the reference was to Tories, and as far as I can see ifhthsbdw has not said that he is one.

There is, in any case, rather a difference between a comment, and actually holding parties celebrating a death, or rioting over student loans, the poll tax or whatever.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Not really.

Firstly, he is agreeing with Squaddie that Bliar is a war criminal; that is a moot point but it is an opinion shared by many on all sides.

Secondly, the reference was to Tories, and as far as I can see ifhthsbdw has not said that he is one.

There is, in any case, rather a difference between a comment, and actually holding parties celebrating a death, or rioting over student loans, the poll tax or whatever.

Nice try, but no cigar.

No, he doesn't say he is a Tory:madgrin:

As Mrs Thatcher would say 'I disagree with you' and I don't need a cigar, maybe you do.

She may have smoked cigars but I don't.

I'll leave you to play, i'm off to work.

Sod'em: I have edited your post.

Well I didn't expect that.

I'm from the north too; your place of birth isn't an excuse.

I didn't use it as an excuse for anything. She tore apart the majority of the people (regardless of where they are from). However, it is a well known fact that she particularly took pleasure out of crucifying towns that where more Northerly and less affluent).

The minority of people replying to this thread gained (or their friends/family did) while she was in power. While the vast majority (whos true feelings get Modded), suffered greatly in her power. Same as the Coalition are doing now.

I didn't see many posts getting Modded on the 'Osama Bin Laden is dead thread'. Why? Because we were all glad he was dead.

I didn't use it as an excuse for anything. She tore apart the majority of the people (regardless of where they are from). However, it is a well known fact that she particularly took pleasure out of crucifying towns that where more Northerly and less affluent).

The minority of people replying to this thread gained (or their friends/family did) while she was in power. While the vast majority (whos true feelings get Modded), suffered greatly in her power. Same as the Coalition are doing now.

Agree.

I witnessed Thatcher play divide and rule in my own family (even though we just about got out the other side unscathed).

I won't miss her, and I can well understand why some people still hate her many years on...

Edited by ajax95

However' date=' it is a well known fact that she particularly took pleasure out of crucifying towns that where more Northerly and less affluent).[/color']

As this is a "well-known fact", please be good enough to supply some evidence. I for one think that is complete crap.

No, he doesn't say he is a Tory:madgrin:

As Mrs Thatcher would say 'I disagree with you' and I don't need a cigar, maybe you do.

She may have smoked cigars but I don't.

I'll leave you to play, i'm off to work.

I'm not a Tory. The bit about Squaddie's post I agreed with was about putting Blair before a war crimes tribunal. That I would love to see. I don't believe in capital punishment, so I wouldn't want to see Blair dead. I actually think it would be a better punishment to let him live but without the liberty to spend his ill-gotten gains.

i would think the main manufacturing industry was "north of watford" in this country, look at the unemployment figures for these towns and cities after these high employer, industrial factories were closed. I am talking of the knock on effect to ancillary companies making products for these companies such as British steel. Sheffield is a prime example.

Unemployment rose to 3.4 million in 1982 from 1.4 million in 1979

released in 1981

says it all

Edited by squaddie

i would think the main manufacturing industry was "north of watford" in this country, look at the unemployment figures for these towns and cities after these high employer, industrial factories were closed. I am talking of the knock on effect to ancillary companies making products for these companies such as British steel. Sheffield is a prime example.

Unemployment rose to 3.4 million in 1982 from 1.4 million in 1979

released in 1981

says it allo

Likewise in Coventry and Birmingham with the car manufacturing. Having taken redundancy from Automotive Products in the 80's my husband returned to the building trade which he'd been in before, but then that collapsed too.

It was a nightmare time.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Likewise in Coventry and Birmingham with the car manufacturing. Having taken redundancy from Automotive Products in the 80's my husband returned to the building trade which he'd been in before, but then that collapsed too.

It was a nightmare time.

Telepathy! I was just thinking of the eighties

At the end of the day an ex prime minister has died she was very well known and courted a lot of controversy because she was the first female prime minister in the UK, she was a strong leader who didn't change her policies and she really cut down on the strength of the unions (especially Mr Scargills) which IMO can only be a good thing (I am old enough to remember the 3 day week and my ex was serious union) she will be buried on Wednesday with the full respect due to her as a very important person in our history, whatever peoples views on her I think any demonstrating should be left until after her funeral and those who want to watch it will and those who don't should just go about their own business. Would be interesting if we had been given a public Holiday for the funeral just to see how many people would refuse take take it and go to work?:-)

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

That is very well put. I can remember the three day week, working by candlelight in my office, taking hours to get to work and driving miles across the country to get to a station which had a rare train coming through during that strike, rubbish in the streets, unburied dead, etc., etc. I sometimes think people forget how many strikes we had to put up with.

And I love your point about the public holiday. :-)

At the end of the day an ex prime minister has died she was very well known and courted a lot of controversy because she was the first female prime minister in the UK, she was a strong leader who didn't change her policies and she really cut down on the strength of the unions (especially Mr Scargills) which IMO can only be a good thing (I am old enough to remember the 3 day week and my ex was serious union) she will be buried on Wednesday with the full respect due to her as a very important person in our history, whatever peoples views on her I think any demonstrating should be left until after her funeral and those who want to watch it will and those who don't should just go about their own business. Would be interesting if we had been given a public Holiday for the funeral just to see how many people would refuse take take it and go to work?:-)

So what has watering down the strength of the unions achieved? Watered down rights in the workplace, zero hour contracts, zero job security etc. Employers can do more or less what they like now thanks to the Tories.

If we had been given a public holiday for the funeral I would expect a huge outcry on cost reasons alone, still I suppose the government could cut welfare even more to cover the outlay. Why aren't all those people that made millions under Thatcher chipping in to cover the funeral? Flog her house in Belgravia to cover the cost she doesn't need it, and nor do her two feckless gormless offspring as they live abroad.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

IN A NUTSHELL

Ask yourself what has changed in the last 25 years

as stated

Zero hour contracts, Minimum wage, even working people forced to rely on benefits to survive, nobody can afford to buy a house due to the high costs as a direct result of non affordable housing, let alone stability issues due to fixed term contracts.

Privatization promised us lower fares etc due to competition. what we have now are privatized industries heavily subsidized by the government and are nothing more than a cartel to set there own tariffs.

We have a financial sector that is being supported by government as they cannot fail. Legislation has been brought in to force the banks etc to lend etc, but they just stick two fingers up at the government and we are then left with quantitative easing (phony money) and government left with egg on its face

Unemployment has never been below 2.5 million. well in todays case you can stick another million on due to things like ESA, MWA and workfare not included in the unemployment figures

Health and Safety legislation, employment rights, legal aid, all but history now to the average working man in this country.

25 years have really made us come a long way, i blame labour as well as the Tories,

Its just i do not think her legacy when you put it into perspective, does not warrant the attention that she is getting

Edited by squaddie

So what has watering down the strength of the unions achieved? Watered down rights in the workplace, zero hour contracts, zero job security etc. Employers can do more or less what they like now thanks to the Tories.

If we had been given a public holiday for the funeral I would expect a huge outcry on cost reasons alone, still I suppose the government could cut welfare even more to cover the outlay. Why aren't all those people that made millions under Thatcher chipping in to cover the funeral? Flog her house in Belgravia to cover the cost she doesn't need it, and nor do her two feckless gormless offspring as they live abroad.

So when we had bodies unburied, waste uncollected, pay rises of 20% etc and spiralling, that was about right was it? Its that what you'd like to return to?

people think unions are the same as they were 25 years ago. Nothing can be further from the truth

legislation is now in place to make employers and trade unions facilitate a better working agreement

to label trade unions of 25 years ago, and trade unions of today the same is just plain wrong

You mean jnion managers. The regular union member just wants a fair deal. Thats why turnouts for votes are so low.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

So when we had bodies unburied, waste uncollected, pay rises of 20% etc and spiralling, that was about right was it? Its that what you'd like to return to?

Just a tad melodramatic, I don't see the need to return to anything apart from a fair deal for workers which I'm pretty sure won't result in the dead cluttering morgues, and waste cluttering the streets.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

What changed was legislation, nothing more

That legislation forced trade unions to send there representatives on learning courses to act within the law. most reps understand the law now more than what most departmental managers do

most companies with trade union representation have work committees once a week where a section of staff, the rep, and manager have an hour to sit down and discus any issues that may arise and address those issues

Reps advocate and make employers aware of Health and Safety legislation for the protection of all staff, including non union members

The days of wild cat strikes and Unofficial industrial action are now ancient history, and to keep bringing that up from 25 years ago is inaccurate and does nothing but spread misinformation

if you really want to know the legislation instead of peoples own past prejudice, i suggest you read the

Trade Union and Labour Relations Consolidation Act 1992

Edited by squaddie

As this is a "well-known fact", please be good enough to supply some evidence. I for one think that is complete crap.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/188e43c2-2cad-11e1-8cca-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2QMMqWBmq

But of course, there will obviously be a very small minority (including your good self) that will see anything I post from now as complete crap.

Roll on the next election.:razz: