Legal owner of the car but not the registered keeper

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 20 year old daughter recently bought a car on HP and the finance agreement is in her name.

For some reason her (new) boyfriend sent off to be the registered keeper.

I'm not sure of all the details but he is the registered keeper but she is the legal owner.

The finance is over a 4 year period and I'm really not sure what the boyfriend's intentions are.

I'm thinking he is going to sell the car leaving her with the burden of repaying something she doesn't even have access too.

I've also learned that he has restraining orders by his 2 previous girlfriends which is why I would like my daughter to cut all ties with him, this is also what she wants.

Question is how can we get the car transferred to her name?

We have possession of the car and also have the V5 logbook.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

If you have the logbook then fill out the LH section with your daughter as the new owner from today, and just put a squiggle in the bit were the registered keeper signs, filling everything esle out as usual for a change of ownership.

You will get a new V5 in a couple of weeks in your daughters name.

Explain to the BF that the finance co have contacted her and insist that this is so.

I would not usually recommend the above but it sounds pretty desperate...

As he doesnt have a financial interest in it then what he thinks about it doesnt matter, even if he complains as the RK can be changed at will and is not the same as ownership. The registered keeper bit in law came about to stop people putting cars in the name of 2 year old children and then claiming that they were below the age of criminal responsibility but as the legal owner, responsible for the misuse of the vehicle.

you don't need to do a siggle in the signature in the bit his signs just write his name, we did this we had bought a car and the former keeper forgot to sign the car, contact them and dvla and explained and told to do this so there name is clear on the signature bit.

And i agree tell him the finance co insisted this, for insurance reasons, i know most car finance firms prefer it in the person who drives and pays for the car.

It is highly likely that the finance company's T & C's would be breached if the car was registered to someone other than the person they had provided the finance for.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The insurers might not be pleased to know that "The Insured", is not the Registered Keeper.

In fact, I would suggest that your daughter enquires if she still has insurance cover under those circumstances.

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

The insurers might not be pleased to know that "The Insured", is not the Registered Keeper.

In fact, I would suggest that your daughter enquires if she still has insurance cover under those circumstances.

If she told them who the RK was at the time then the insurance is valid. I am the RK of a company van but my wife is"the insured" with me as a named driver. They are interested in risk, not semantics of property law. Presumably, if it was written off in an accident they will ask who receives the money as the ownership and insured details differ. Your situation is common.

Still dosn't solve the potential big problem of the finance issue. HP agreement will no doubt require for the hire purchaser to be the RK.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I went to the garage where the car was purchased and they confirm the finance company will insist my daughter is the registered keeper. We sent the V5 to DVLA yesterday to change it over. We also got a final redemption figure from the finance company to see if my daughter can trade the car for something smaller that she can actually afford to insure. Of course the figure is higher than the garage say the value of the car is so she will have to keep up the payments until she can afford to pay the car off.

One thing that really annoyed me is the salesman said he has seen a guy come in on a few different occasions with different women who he wanted them to take out finance to purchase a car for him. They are regulated by the FSA but this seems to me to be fraud if they are knowingly allowing this to happen. Don't get me wrong, I realise my daughter should never have signed any agreements but she now realises she was being conned and used ang this is happening regularly to other people.

Next step is we have to tell the b/f (thankfully ex now!) a) that he is EX and b) that he will not have access to the car any longer and we require the 2nd key back. This I am not looking forward to as he already has restraining orders against him.