• Tweets

• Hi everyone,   First time poster - just found this great resource!  Just looking for a bit of help and advice really.   My situation is as follows:  I moved from UK to UAE back in 2016.  I thought I had cleared everything up before I left, but there's always something to come and bite you in the a**.  I have an unpaid debt for a credit card, totalling just over £800.  In May 2019 the company got a CCJ against me for the unpaid debt.  I returned to the UK in June last year, and moved into rented accommodation - nothing was said at the time about a CCJ against me form the rental company.  Now. a year later, and I am looking to move from my current accommodation (moving from city to country) and I was told about a week ago that I couldn't rent the house I wanted because of the CCJ.  This is the first time I was aware of its presence.  In the last year, it hasn't stopped me renting my first house, getting a new credit card, or leasing a new car, and I have never been as much as a day late with my rent.   From what I have read so far, I have grounds to ask for the CCJ to be removed in that a) I was out of the country b)never received any sort of notice of this and c) had no chance to enter a defence against the CCJ.   I don't dispute the debt, and am able to pay it in full - but if I do so the CCJ will still remain on my file and be seen by other prospective landlords, so I really need to get it removed.   Does anyone know if this is possible?   Thanks all, Steve    
    • The Hyundai dealership has been trying to fix it since 2017, they continued to work on the vehicle after the 5 year period ended, at no cost to the customer. Which suggests they accept the original warranty claim is still ongoing.    I am taking the vehicle to a different independent garage for an examination and they are prepared to provide a report for a fixed fee that may be relied upon in court. This is a well-regarded and long-established local business. I have the utmost faith in whatever they conclude.   At this stage the dealership is being very quiet, since I asked them to provide me with their discussions with Hyundai's technical department, to understand how they tried to resolve this. During the warranty period, they became fixated on a single component of the braking system and did not seem to see the bigger picture.   Hyundai UK initially claimed the warranty had expired and helpfully pointed out the expiry date of the 5-year warranty, but when I pointed out the claim was still ongoing and the dealership had continued to work on the vehicle until as recently as last month, they then directed me to contact the dealership, which is giving me silent treatment.    
    • Unless that source is employed by either Axa or the council, and was involved in the claim, it's difficult to see how anybody would know what happened.   would that source provide a witness statement saying that Axa had admitted liability for the roof?
    • they are now the claimant re my other comments the other thing to bear in mind is they sent an AEO in 2015 an did nowt
    • Concrete accounts for 8% of carbon dioxide emissions, but some firms are hoping to cut that down. View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 33 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just came across a nasty piece of work while searching for PC parts on line. The firewall went wild, and started blocking all sorts of connections.

Turns out a service called "Markmonitor" (64.124.14.70) was trying to connect to my network. Bit of research and it seems this company, part of Reuters, is monitoring services across the internet for "copyright reasons."

But what the hell were they trying to connect to my PC for?

Dabs and PCWorld have nothing to do with copyright!

Anyone else heard of this service?

i'd check you've not got a spamming Trojan

run combofix

from the bleeping computer site

in safe mode with networking.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Add that IP address to your host file and it's gone.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

It's not a Trojan dx100uk, Least if it is then the script kiddie writing it has a guaranteed job with Sophos! Yes I can bock firewall ports, or use the hosts file, but Your average housewife wouldn't have know anyone was looking at her PC or how to do that. Wasn't Google just recently slapped for doing something similar? Reauter Thompsan seem to be selling a service to promote inspecting PC's while users are browsing. Does anyone know anything about the service they are selling?

I've seen this ALOT. Because of the new 'COOKIES POLICY' where websites have to ASK you if you want to have cookies or not , have started including that bloody irrortatin * (after their clause)... THis is what you have to watch out for, BUT BUT BUT, INHO, I cant think that this is enforceable as there was no * to match it up to at the end of the page. They rely on the fact that you CALL them and then discuss it, then it makes sense.

My advice is:

1) MAC OR WINDOWS - CONFIRM BEFORE YOU GET IT - Google is you friend!

2) MAC OR WINDOWS: ALWAYS READ COOKY POLICY! SOmetimes they encroach (usually by accident) on your personal data from the original company) - so DELETE COOKIES

3) Don't give ANYONE access to your MAc THIS INCLUDES:

iPhones, iPads and iMacs.

To-date they dall collaborate and share documents,...

I hope this helps from a mac user perspective. From here I can only deal with scemarios n whatever

Thats Q.I. I'll watch for that next time I'm browsing. Crazy ... It seems reasonable if you connect to a server that YOUR computer identifies itself, but it can't be reasonable that the server collects information you don't wish to divulge.... let alone a completely different server. I thought that was part and parcel with the new cookie law. Thanks for the info

Usually it seems 'innocent'. Cookies can hold quite a bit of information, sucha s your browsing history or your search patters.

have you seen on FaceBook that whenyou log on that if any advertising flashes up on the sidebars, its usually in relation to what you've searched for or what kind of site you've been to?

On another note, I've thought, if it is a Trojan or AdWare, then you should give your computer an enema (as to put it) lol

There's loads of cleansing programs out there. one i use with my clients and personally on windows machines is called "Spyware Seek and Destroy" or "Spyware S+D". I know it sounds like a childs game, but its very efficient and best of all, FREE!

Just looking at it myself, they fire up a port 113 connection which is called an IDENT connection.

Older computers/systems/servers used to have an IDENT server running whicvh gave some information away. Just ignore it, it's nothing interesting