Govan Law Centre's call for a mass challenge of bedroom tax housing benefit decisions

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mike Dailly of the Govan Law Centre has written a guide on how to challenge a decision which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.govanhilllc.com/brtax/

Although written with a Scottish audience in mind, all of the arguments apply equally in England, Wales and NI.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

just giving this a little nudge.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just to let you know, citizenB, that - for me at least but presumably others - there is a problem with the mini form Govan are asking you to submit. Everything is ok and can be filled out until you come to the last box. This is where you retype the code you see. Unfortunately the box to retype the code into doesn't seem to exist ...

Just to let you know, citizenB, that - for me at least but presumably others - there is a problem with the mini form Govan are asking you to submit. Everything is ok and can be filled out until you come to the last box. This is where you retype the code you see. Unfortunately the box to retype the code into doesn't seem to exist ...

Try this http://www.govanhilllc.com/brtax/brtax.pdf

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I've saved that as when a child leaves sometime soon I will be charged HB and may well challenge it. Mind, I will also be applying for DHP as I am legally tied to a DFG for another 3yrs 9 months which I'd have to pay back if I moved out before then. Would I be able to appeal the decision AND apply for a DHP?

Sorry about that, I will try and get a message to Mike Dailly who produced the form and see if there is anything that can be done.

BCOBS

Sorry about that, I will try and get a message to Mike Dailly who produced the form and see if there is anything that can be done.

It would be good if folks having trouble could post up the name and version of the browser they're using - that might help the page designers figure out what's up.

Looks OK to me in Firefox 20, Windows 7/64.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Fine in latest version of chrome on OS/win 7 64. My guess is its just a CSS issue. Some browsers render them pretty weird.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Is there any chance this could go out as a news email to all CAGgers as there is only one month to appeal and many may lose out. Time is of the essence here.

Yes, we do plan on including this in the CAG newsletter for the next issue.

Itactually says:

If you have been issued with a 'bedroom tax' decision by your local council you only have one month to challenge it.

in other words, you have a month to appeal once they have notified you that you will be losing benefit.

I would think these letters are being sent out over a period of time rather than en masse.

BCOBS

I would think these letters are being sent out over a period of time rather than en masse.

Letters would have gone out as part of the annual uprating, so might have been spread out over a few days, but normally they are all out by end of March

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

according to the GLC twitter, 4,000 people across the UK have downloaded the toolkit.

BCOBS

Charity wins appeal over bedroom tax for Sheffield family

A CHARITY has secured exemption from the ‘bedroom tax’ for a Sheffield family – and say others could have success too.

The family were originally told by Sheffield Council that they would have to pay the tax because their children could share a bedroom – despite one of them being severely disabled.

The Sheffield Law Centre successfully argued the ‘tax’, which came into effect last Monday, was a breach of the family’s human rights because they were not being treated differently from non-disabled families, despite the impact of the bedroom tax being worse on them than families where children can share a room.

The verdict means the family, who declined to be named, will now not be penalised by the bedroom tax.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/charity-wins-appeal-over-bedroom-tax-for-sheffield-family-1-5564992