Asda Parking Charge Notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have today received a ticket from Smart Parking Ltd (also trading as Town and City Parking) for "obstructive parking" in Asda's car park.

Aside from argueing the definition of 'obstructive', is the advice previously given in this thread still valid - do I still ignore all letters (unless they're court papers) ?

Only ask because the ticket now includes a landline number for 'advice or assistance on lodging your appeal' and mentions an independant adjudication service (POPLA) for PCN's issued after 1st October 2012 which to me suggests a possible legislation change (?).

Hi all,

I have today received a ticket from Smart Parking Ltd (also trading as Town and City Parking) for "obstructive parking" in Asda's car park.

Aside from argueing the definition of 'obstructive', is the advice previously given in this thread still valid - do I still ignore all letters (unless they're court papers) ?

Only ask because the ticket now includes a landline number for 'advice or assistance on lodging your appeal' and mentions an independant adjudication service (POPLA) for PCN's issued after 1st October 2012 which to me suggests a possible legislation change (?).

It is still an unenforceable invoice, the October legilslation only allows the PPC to apply to the registered keeper so the very weak argument of 'I was not the driver' is no longer worth using.

Some say send the bog off letter and some say ignore, personally I've done both and after the string of ever threatening letter heard no more.

Thanks guys, knowing I can expect nothing more than a lot of empty threats is reassuring. Will send off the letter to Asda (as per ignore) as soon as their first letter arrives :-D

Only thing now is to release the devil in me .... watch out Asda, I won't get mad but I will get even:mad2: lol !!

Hi all,

Thanks guys, knowing I can expect nothing more than a lot of empty threats is reassuring. Will send off the letter to Asda (as per ignore) as soon as their first letter arrives :-D

Only thing now is to release the devil in me .... watch out Asda, I won't get mad but I will get even:mad2: lol !!

Did they say where your car was "obstructive parking" in Asda's car park in the 1st place ?

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

What did they say you where "obstructive parking" in Asda's car park in the 1st place,where was your car parked ?

Next to (not in) the parent & toddler bays.

Don't know if they apply on private land but as far as I'm aware I complied with all signage per the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions bumf (never really noticed the PPC signs - only looked for them after I'd discovered the ticket).

NO parking signs or markings have any basis in law on private land. They are simply graffiti. The only signs that have any bearing are on road bays, or on council owned car parks.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Next to (not in) the parent & toddler bays.

Don't know if they apply on private land but as far as I'm aware I complied with all signage per the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions bumf (never really noticed the PPC signs - only looked for them after I'd discovered the ticket).

bowler289

I see,so do you know what your where actually parked on ?

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I see,so do you know what your where actually parked on ?

Doesnt matter where they were parked. You could park in the middle of 3 bays horizontally and theres nothing they could really do apart from yell over the tannoy.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Doesnt matter where they were parked. You could park in the middle of 3 bays horizontally and theres nothing they could really do apart from yell over the tannoy.

I've asked the OP a simple question,not you !

bowler289 may I ask

so do you know what your where actually parked on ?
Edited by 45002

At the end of the row of P&T bays (next to/not on what I'd describe as white box junction type markings which they put down to ensure sufficient door clearence for those using pushchairs). In addition there was ample room for cars (and emergency vehicles) to pass either way and without hindrence.

I've asked the OP a simple question,not you !

bowler289 may I ask

Does it matter who you ask when the answer is the same?

IMO 'parent and child' spaces are fair game and I park in them without thought.

If they really were just about allowing access for the parent to get children in and out of cars they wouldn't be located next to the entrance

Most of the chavs and brats I see could do with the exercise of walking from another area of the car park

"All markings in private car parks are meaningless"

But I'm in two minds on the reality of that.

I've read one thread recently where someone blocked the exit to the car park, as the lines where meaningless, so no one could stop them, and another where a parent was more than happy to bounce the pushchair and car seat down the car next to them, and open the door into the adjacent car if there wasn't enough space.

So I tend to park socially, and not take the ****.

Even though my car would probably be improved if someone opened their door into it.

The landowner still has recourse to solve the problems of cars parked that cause an obstruction and that includes having them towed away. What cant happen is towing or other penalties used as a source of revenue for them or a bunch of chancers who wish it upon themselves to offer such services. The point about disabled and parent and child spaces is more about planning gain than the welfare of those groups. supermarkets wouldnt bother unless they had to and planners tell them that x special spaces per 100 spaces or no planning approval so they do it. Another reason they are happy to let another company do their dirty work, stops people moaning at the store manager when they can point the finger elsewhere.

Whilst all marking might be graffiti cannot condone parking in spaces where the landowner is trying to help those most in need - mothers with young kids and disabled. Good on them for this - would gladly key some t**ts expensive car if ignore these socially just actions.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd provide an update for info really (no other reason as happy to continue with ignore advice):

4 Apr 13 - ticket received

8 May 13 - notice (headed Notice of Charge - Do Not Ignore(!)) £70

13 May 13 - letter to Asda

14 May 13 - letter back from Asda (refer to head office, questions unanswered)

17 Jun 13 - demand for payment £120

1 Jul 13 - Notice of intended court action £120

15 Jul 13 - Reduced payment offer £96......speculative invoicing is one thing but the latter is practically a begging letter!

There was a [consumer advice type of] programme on telly (one of the BBC channels within the last fortnight) about private parking companies - anyone have a link to it on iplayer or youtube ?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd provide an update for info really (no other reason as happy to continue with ignore advice):

4 Apr 13 - ticket received

8 May 13 - notice (headed Notice of Charge - Do Not Ignore(!)) £70

13 May 13 - letter to Asda

14 May 13 - letter back from Asda (refer to head office, questions unanswered)

17 Jun 13 - demand for payment £120

1 Jul 13 - Notice of intended court action £120

15 Jul 13 - Reduced payment offer £96......speculative invoicing is one thing but the latter is practically a begging letter!

There was a [consumer advice type of] programme on telly (one of the BBC channels within the last fortnight) about private parking companies - anyone have a link to it on iplayer or youtube ?

Hello Bowler 289, I have had dealings with these clowns in Asda when they were called TCP December 2012.. They use our old friends Roxburghe Debt Collectors..."See my thread on here entitled TCP / Roxburghe appologise".. We stuffed them in a matter of 4 weeks and demanded our postage back and got it and an appology Ha! .... Firstly you need to get the name of the store manager and complain to him over the phone...then fire off a nice little letter to smart parking rejecting the charge, because they lease that part of the land where they have signage, however they have no legal right to issue notices to motorists as they do not own the land, as in VCS Ltd Vs HMRC which you need to quote in your letter...As you have already seen, double yellow lines or any other markings may as well be fairy dust on private land, although I do agree that disabled people etc need provisions, does not open the flood gates for these companies to fleece people.. Regards S.M.

Edited by Scouse Magic

I would still be very careful about ignoring parking restrictions on private land ,wheel clamps are sadly not made out of fairy dust :-(

As stated clamping is illegal nowdays....These Companies are hyenas of society, I hope more people will challenge them rather than

simply pay up :-(:-(:-(:-(