• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Homeless and threat to lose JSA

CllrChris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - My son has been homeless for a year or so. He cannot live at home - because of regular violence to himfrom his younger backwards brother. We have extended family units in the area and with his friends there are places he can sleep most nights. He can also sleep on the sofa here from time to time - but not too often.

After more than a year of claiming JSA as homeless, the local office are now claiming he he cannot prove he is homeless and therefore they are cutting off his JSA. They also say they will visit the places he says he sleeps to see if they are entitled to "rent" space (although he is paying nothing to anybody for sleeping at their homes). This will devastate him. I haven't a clue how these JSA people think they are entitled to do this. Can anybody help me here? References to the law and government guidance would be useful too. Thanks.

Edited by CllrChris
Missd out some info.

This doesn't make sense. JSA has nothing to do with whether or not a person is homeless, and I don't even understand the reference to "rent" space. Are they looking to see if he can claim Housing Benefit? Or are the people he stays with themselves claiming HB and the council is considering whether a non-dependent deduction should be applied to their claims because your son has been staying with them?

Anyhow, first step: he should contact the Jobcentre Plus Benefit Centre that pays his JSA claim and ask them precisely why they say he is no longer entitled.

Edit to add: Sorry, I missed a key question out. How old is your son?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

This doesn't make sense. JSA has nothing to do with whether or not a person is homeless, and I don't even understand the reference to "rent" space. Are they looking to see if he can claim Housing Benefit? Or are the people he stays with themselves claiming HB and the council is considering whether a non-dependent deduction should be applied to their claims because your son has been staying with them?

Anyhow, first step: he should contact the Jobcentre Plus Benefit Centre that pays his JSA claim and ask them precisely why they say he is no longer entitled.

Edit to add: Sorry, I missed a key question out. How old is your son?

Yes - I think getting something in writing is essential. It doesn't make any sense to me either. He really doesn't stay with any of them any more than a night or two a week. I think the JSA are just trying to get him off their unemployed figures. But my son, although reasonably intelligent, seems to have been convinced they can stop his JSA.

Even if some he stays with are claiming HB - that should still not affect his JSA. It didn't when he was at home.

He's 24 BTW.

You might also want to contact Shelter who might be able to help with your Son's homeless state.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes - I think getting something in writing is essential. It doesn't make any sense to me either. He really doesn't stay with any of them any more than a night or two a week. I think the JSA are just trying to get him off their unemployed figures. But my son, although reasonably intelligent, seems to have been convinced they can stop his JSA.

Even if some he stays with are claiming HB - that should still not affect his JSA. It didn't when he was at home.

He's 24 BTW.

OK, so if he's 24, then my main concern is not relevant (I was thinking that if he was 16 or 17, different rules may apply). So yes, he needs to know exactly why they're trying to stop his JSA. In writing would be best, but part of the problem here is that he's only legally entitled to a written statement of reasons when they actually cut off his payments. He should call his Benefit Centre (number on any letter he's been sent) to ask precisely why they say he's not entitled. As we've noted, whether or not he's homeless should not affect his entitlement once he's 18 and out of full-time non-higher education. So at the very least, he needs to call and write down exactly what they say. There are some reasons to stop a person's JSA, but "you're not homeless" isn't one of them.

You're also correct that staying with someone who claims HB shouldn't affect your son's JSA. In some circumstances, it might affect the HB of the person he's staying with, but not always and in any case, that's a different matter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 2 months later...

If your son does go back to the JobCentre Plus, he needs to take someone with him. I had an interview there recently and it was unbelievable. Everything single thing they told me about my benefits (they were telling me I wasn't a carer when I quite clearly am, my son doesn't attend school when luckily enough I had proof he had been until a few days before, that I would lose just about every benefit I presently claim (incorrectly). Believe it or not, the person interviewing me also told me I wouldn't cope (I did get pretty stressed) if my OH moved out (won't go into why that came up here, its a long story) and my children would be taken into care. It was dreadful. Unfortunately it was unrecorded.

So if your son goes back, he MUST take someone with him who can remember what happens, take notes if necessary and to make sure anything they say is checked up on when they can get to a pc. Every single thing I was told was incorrect. What your son has been told might well be incorrect as well.

• 6 months later...

hi,

i've just seen your post and the local council has a duty to house your son because he is statutory homeless:

- he is vulnerable because of actual violence and threats of violence [which are likely to be carried out] it is not reasonable for him to stay at your place and hence he moved out to be safe

- he has a local connection to the borough / area because he has been living there .. [how long]. list his addresses of past 5 years supporting with documents like bank statements, gym / library membership, school, work, jobcentre letters

- eligible for housing because in priority need: vulnerable due to fleeing violence

- on JSA so eligible for social security / homelessness accommodation, mind you it will be an offer of an assured shorthold tenancy with a private landlord the council has to offer these days, not necessarily social housing.

Housing benefit will cover most of the rent. Immediately make a nil income declaration with a recent bank statement at the council for the housing benefit to stay in payment if JSA gets sanctioned.

The DWP / Jobcentre has to know your change of circumstances, eg address. The one who is claiming benefits and your son is staying with sometimes might get into trouble if DWP finds out your son is living there, kind of.

He would really need to save up to rent a room and then the housing benefit would cover the rent or most of it.

He can apply for a budgeting loan to get rent in advance / deposit to get accommodation if he has been on JSA for over 26 weeks. Four times the weekly rent of a room is a reasonable amount to apply for and likely to be granted if proven homeless.

Google Streetlink and "No Second Night Out". If you report the whereabouts of a rough sleeper, they come out and register the person on CHAIN [Central Homlessness and Information Network]. There is a phone number on the website or a form to fill in. They take the rough sleeper to a hub to have a roof over his head while / for the time / days / weeks they are trying to find him shelter.

Shelters are full so turning up at one or calling one yourself usually won't work. The Jobcentre will have to accept the letter from the outreach workers stating your son is a registered rough sleeper. They will find him in an underpath / block of car park [roof over his head]. Jobcentre wants to know where your belongings are if you say you homeless and where you slept past 3 nights: form to be filled in, as you will know. It is perfectly ok to be a homeless JSA claimant [as if..]. tick the box that you are homeless, yet you have to give an address of correspondence to receive benefit letters, etc. Homeless Day Centre may agree to help.

A homelessness application to the council should be successful to get your son housing if you get your evidence right an can prove he was fleeing domestic violence, registered on CHAIN, stronger local connection to the borough than to any other borough. Prove in writing that is not intentionally homeless because he was fleeing domestic violence. A police report or at least a CAD police call out number would be helpful or a written witness statement from you. The council will try to show that he is intentionally homeless [moved out when he did not really had to] and he has more local connections to other boroughs so you prove the opposite with 50 pages of evidence and reasoning, print-out of relevant legislation in your claim and you win it. OK: 30 page may do but you get my point: they will try to refuse the application to save money.

DWP will / may take your son's JSA away if he can not prove his address or the fact that he is homeless. No legal right to live at the friends' places where he sleeps so statutory homeless. GP can help with a statement about mental health, etc. These days the Jobcentre is vicious [to save money] and will sanction you for anything and everything, eg for not attending appointments [about which they did not post you a letter]. The onus of the proof is on the claimant so it is for them to prove that they posted that letter. Computer notes shall not suffice but Certificate of Posting / Recorded Signed For: they will back off and reconsider the sanction in a positive manner.

Your son is eligible for hardship payment after 2 weeks after the date of the sanction or immediately if chronically ill [repeat prescription to be attached to claim]. Pick up form to claim at Jobcentre if it happens.

Please click on the .jpg links below to see relevant legislation and read through Part VII of the Housing Act 1996 on www dot legislation dot gov dot uk to understand housing rights of the homeless and councils duty to house you. Holler back if it was helpful. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

this thread is over a year old, please start a new thread for yourself so mods can direct it to the correct forum for advice

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.