Parking charge notice from Athena ANPR Ltd - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have just joined this interesting looking forum. I noticed there are some posts from a few years ago about parking charge notices from the company Athena ANPR Ltd. I have just received a Parking Charge Notice for £90 for overstaying at a Lidl supermarket car park (£45 if I pay within 14 days) . To be honest, I just forgot about the time so I don't have a valid reason for appealing. I think the amount is excessive, particularly as currently the local council-controlled parking area behind the Lidl car park is blocked off due to building works so there was nowhere else to park. I wondered whether this notice has any legal standing or whether it is OK to ignore it. I am concerned that this company were able to get my 'registered keeper' details so quickly from the DVLA.

Any advice would be welcome!

Many people choose to ignore and this has proved successful for a number of years, you will however receive a mountain of junk mail or begging leters suggesting that they will take court action. This is nothing to worry about as it only comes from collection agents who have no legal status.

On the other hand some people choose to write (in this case I am assuming you live in England or Wales) if I am correct and you choose to write , send the following.

I refer to your invoice dated the xxxxx and received on the XXXX

In response, I would ask you to note the following.

When an invoice is issued under the law of contract to a vehicle which although allowed to park on the land, is in breach of the conditions relating to parking, it could be argued that the charge being demanded is so high that it amounts to a penalty and is therefore unlawful under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

Therfore should it be your intention to pursue this matter further, I will require the following infoirmation.,

1) Precise details of the calculation used to establish the sum pursued in this case, taking account of the following statement issued by the Department for Transport.

Charges for breaking a parking contract must be reasonable and a genuine pre-estimate of loss. This means charges must compensate the landholder only for the loss they are likely to suffer because the parking contract has been broken. For example, to cover the unpaid charges and the administrative costs associated with issuing the ticket to recover the charges. Charges may not be set at higher levels than necessary to recover business losses and the intention should not be to penalise the driver.

2) I also require written proof that as a third party agent you have contractual consent from the land owner to raise legal proceedings on their behalf.

Furthermore, should you fail to provide a detailed response to any of the points raised in this correspondence a POPLA reference will be required in order that this issue can be progressed to the independent appeals body. I am of course fully aware that the decision of POPLA is binding only on the pursuer and not the defender.

I hope this information clearly outlines my position and I look forward to your detailed written response.

Yours faithfully

DO NOT PROVIDE A TELEPHONE NUMBER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Edited by Crocdoc

Do you think the same applies to a Civil Parking Notice from Car Parking partnership which has issued me a ticket in the Sainsburys car park? I paid for an hour but was 10 minutes late back. Is it worth me sending the template letter as with the Athena ticket?

Ignore it, expect a deluge of deforestation purporting to sell you children, it is nothing more than junk mail.. IGNORE them, sending them anything simply gets them excitable and they start running round like headless chickens.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 9 months later...
Thank you Crocdoc, I will write as suggested and will post on here any results!

what were the results of you sending this letter, im in the same situation and am concidering sending this, but am unsure