Problem with misread electricity meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I will try to say it as short as possible due to late hour

I was going to change energy supplier, so in order to get best possible estimates on comparison website I searched for a first bill I submitted in my newly bought house about year ago. But when I digged into it I found out that provider issued to me wrong meter readings.

They switched LOW and NORMAL readings on E7 meter.

From my calculations I could underpay between 200-300 quid as I almost never used night tariff. The switch/mistake was not really possible to happen - as during this time I had 3 meter readings by a authorized person, which has taken GAS readings [they appear on a bill as Actual readings] but Electricity readings appear only as estimates or customer readings ONLY for a whole period. Looks like 'meter reader' discovered cock up but never was bothered to put it right.

On top of that electricity meter is much easier to read from gas reader because of better access.

My question is what to do?

One thing is underpayment but what about the period before I have moved in here, wouldn't they want to charge me for whatever loooooong period?

I know it sound ridiculous, but I've read stories and peoples got plenty of problems with debt companies because of mistakes in utility companies. And since I will want to change my mortgage lender in some time I need good rating.

I want to simply avoid any problems with company that unprofessional contractor/reader didn't do his job properly. Pay whatever estimates they will come up with, change supplier and start on a fresh page.

Any help please.

who with?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes we have reps here

they can directly help

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah OK

I was going to contact them if no better idea will come up

I will do it somewhere else so I can keep records of communication, but not yet

thanks for your reply

Ah OK

I was going to contact them if no better idea will come up

I will do it somewhere else so I can keep records of communication, but not yet

thanks for your reply

The CAG site team contact the rep's on your behalf and they reply to your thread .

If you cant tell us utility supplier is,how are people going to advise and help you !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi

I will try to say it as short as possible due to late hour

I was going to change energy supplier, so in order to get best possible estimates on comparison website I searched for a first bill I submitted in my newly bought house about year ago. But when I digged into it I found out that provider issued to me wrong meter readings.

They switched LOW and NORMAL readings on E7 meter.

From my calculations I could underpay between 200-300 quid as I almost never used night tariff. The switch/mistake was not really possible to happen - as during this time I had 3 meter readings by a authorized person, which has taken GAS readings [they appear on a bill as Actual readings] but Electricity readings appear only as estimates or customer readings ONLY for a whole period. Looks like 'meter reader' discovered cock up but never was bothered to put it right.

On top of that electricity meter is much easier to read from gas reader because of better access.

My question is what to do?

One thing is underpayment but what about the period before I have moved in here, wouldn't they want to charge me for whatever loooooong period?

I know it sound ridiculous, but I've read stories and peoples got plenty of problems with debt companies because of mistakes in utility companies. And since I will want to change my mortgage lender in some time I need good rating.

I want to simply avoid any problems with company that unprofessional contractor/reader didn't do his job properly. Pay whatever estimates they will come up with, change supplier and start on a fresh page.

Any help please.

More than likely the meter reader has submitted the correct readings to the supplier, but someone who calculates the debt reversed the reading otherwise they would have to do a lot of work to resolve it. In essence you are paying a low rate for peak times instead of the othe way around. The furtherst they can back bill you is 12 months and as they are at fault you can offer to pay the difference back over 6 or 12 months and you can still change suppliers. It is fairly easy for you to work out the difference and based on that figure decide which way you would like to play it. At this point no need to inform any of us who the supplier is, but I think a few of us can guess.