Amended final gas bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4041 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice re. an amended final gas bill....

Left Atlantic Gas on Jan 25th 2012 after opening account in Dec 2011. Paid DD monthly gas payments throughout this period (£48).

Spoke with them around Jan 25th '12 to explain was leaving, and they told me that there would be one final payment after which account would be closed. In March 2012 I was credited £32.96 by them.

However, in June 2012 I received a bill which they say is based on actual readings from the period 17th Nov 2011 to Jan 25 2012. Apparently I owe £556 for my consumption during this 69 day period. What confuses me, is why I was credited in March - i.e., after 25 Jan which according to them was when the most up-to-date reading was given, yet the bill wasn't issued until June 2012. Why close the account without using most up-to-date information? What are my rights (if any) about this?

Another aspect of the situation is that the period I received this final June bill is around the time that the account holder after me was settling her account because she was leaving the property. They initially charged her several hundred pounds for three months, which she contested and they reduced the bill by £80. She contested again and they revised the bill to £37 (for her entire use over 3.5 months). When she called to provide a final reading a week later they said she had spent £100 in the the course of a week (after an average expenditure of £10 / week for 3 months). She finally agreed to pay £137 for 3.5 months. After she had settled her account is when I received my June bill. This hasn't given me any confidence that the bill is calculated correctly - rather, it seems like they have a deficit and they are chasing anyone for it. Also the bill seems very high - even allowing for increased use during winter and rising gas prices.

They have also agreed to lower the bill to £355 because I am disputing it - seems like a strange tactic if their charges are sound?!

Any help, advice, suggestions etc would be very gratefully received. Thanks!