NatWest and Defaults

m_watson98
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

During 2012 I discovered by visiting CreditExpert's Experian website that NatWest had issued a default against me in February 2011.

I had no idea / had never received any communication from them to say they had taken such action. I complainted to NatWest and got nowhere - they wouldn't confirm or even explain: so I complained to the ICO Information Commissioners Office and the Financial Ombudsman Service.

To cut a VERY long story short (I now have THREE thick files ...) the ICO found in my favour:

"In this case we have decided that it is unlikely that NatWest have complied with the requirements of the DPA.

“This is because they accept that your current account should not have been marked as in default.”

“… the “breakdown in relationship” which precedes registering a default only occurred due to an error on the banks behalf, rather than as a true “breakdown in relationship” between borrower and lender.

“NatWest have confirmed that they submitted instructions on 22 January 2013 to have the default removed.

Good news, you may think.

When I checked NatWest had indeed REMOVED the default from Experian - my credit rating is now excellent.

But - on16 February 2013 - they CREATED a new default on EQUIFAX!!!

The ICO say they have completed their investigation.

Now what should I do?

Where do I stand re redress / damages etc?

For the past two years I have been unable to get credit /re-organise mortgages etc; and was turned down for a bank job because of this alleged "default"

Edited by m_watson98
Some words were joined together

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

NatWest told the ICO they had made an "error" and the February 2011 "default" had been due to this "error": they told the ICO they had removed it.

I checked with Experian - and they had.

BUT, when I checked with Equifax and CallCredit I found NatWest had created two NEW entries in February 2013, i.e.AFTER the ICO had closed their file!

I wrote again to the Ombudsman and ICO telling them what NatWest had done.

I had a call from the ICO yesterday, who have re-opened their file.

NatWest say they did remove the Experian "default"'; but because they didn't immediately correct their records "their new computer system swept through their records and automatically recorded defaults with the credit agencies".

!!!

I said "Even without telling their customers???"

Apparently not: even if justified, you would not be told ...

NatWest say this "default" had already been updated / confirmed with the credit agencies during March and April: and is already set to be confirmed again in May.

However, they have told the ICO that immediately it gets refreshed in May they will remove it - permanently - from their system "the day after".

I have now been complaining about this "default" for over two years now and it's still not resolved.

Worse still ... presumably this "sweep" by NatWest will result in many other new defaults being created, and presumably NatWest customers will not even find out until they do their own credit checks?

How can this be "fair" ???