wages paid into old account, help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but hope someone can help

My sister in law changed her bank details around 4 months ago and gave her employer the new account details. her old bank account has an overdraft which she has an agreement to pay £x amount to clear the balance.

2 months ago her employer made a mistake and paid the wages into the old account, she went to the bank and they agreed to give her the money. Her employer advised her that they had made sure the system was now updated and they had the correct details, the following month she was paid correctly.

This month though she has been paid into her old account again. The bank are this time refusing to give the money as it goes towards paying the debt. The owners of the company are on holiday. Could anyone give advise as to where she stands with this? I appreciate the bank don't have to give her anything as its not their fault and they are owed money,do her company have to sort this out? or as they have paid the money into her bank account do they have to do anything?

Thanks

There is unfortunately not very much that can be done unless you can prove a bank error on the employers side. In that case - and only in that case - the sending bank can action a Faster Payment Refund Request due to bank error. They should have a process in place for that. I doubt though that that will be the case and also that the receiving bank will return the money due to insufficient funds in the account.

Your sister in law could argue that the bank are taking her subsistence money and make a claim: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?547-Is-your-Bank-taking-your-subsistence-money

Just because the error has happened twice recently, doesn't change the fact she needs that money to get by on. The link above fully explains how best to approach this and I would definitely try this before considering legal action against the employer.

Thanks for the replies and the info. I didn't think there would be much she could do. I have passed the letter template on and hopefully she'll be able to get it back that way.

Thanks