• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord wants me out before i have even moved in!

talloolah76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone, i hope you are all well.

I'm in a really difficult situation with my new landlord and as it has the potential to leave me homeless im a tad concerned.

A few weeks ago i found a lovely property, went and viewed it, agreed with landlord, signed the contract, paid my deposit (landlord did not want rent in advance) and gave one months notice to my current landlord.

While showing me round the property the new landlord told me that he had one other person who had been interested however as they were not available to move in for a couple of months he was happy to let me have it as I could be in sooner. He was also happy to offer it to me cheaper than the original asking price.

i work long hours so i have had to move my things over slowly, which i have been doing.

Over the last few days the new landlord has been texting me telling me that he has now changed his mind. Apparently he has been into the house (after contract was signed) and shown the other interested tenant i mentioned previously around again and they are happy to move in sooner and pay the original amount for the rent.

He says that i can have my deposit back so that isn't an issue but it means that i am now finding myself without a home.

I have tried to talk to him but he will not listen and to top things off, today he texted me and threatened to turn up at my work if i do not return the keys.

I've had a look on line and think that this may qualify as an illegal eviction; i also think his behaviour, in that he is threatening to turn up at my work is some what harassing.

Am i correct in this?

I would be most appreciative of any advice anyone can offer to help me deal with this situation and where i stand legally.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to offer.

Tally x

Doesnt matter. You signed the contract, as did he, the agreement is in place, so its now your residence until you give it up, or your tenancy expires. That text can be construed as harassment and threatening behaviour. Also demands with menaces. All which can be dealt with by the police if he follows through.

He can NOT force you out without going through the courts. However, you need to ask yourself, do you really want to stay there when you have a landlord that is acting like this?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Renegade, thank you for your help.

You are correct, he has now really shown his true colours and i do not want him as a landlord. My current landlord has already lined someone up for this property though and as i have to be out shortly it would leave me homeless and so, as far as i can see, i have no option but to live there until i can find somewhere else as soon as possible.

Sadly i am now confident that he is not going to listen, i text him again today (about 20 mins ago) advising him that he had no right as we were now in contract, i also advised him that i do not have to hand over the keys and that if he turns up at my work then i will consider this to be harassment.

His reply to this was that he was too wise for that and that he "will be at your work tomorrow for the keys".

Im a bit worried if he does turn up and unsure what i would need to do

Thanks for your reply

Tally x

Edited by talloolah76
added more info

If he continues to harass you, i would advise going to the local police station and having a word with the sergeant there, not the front desk reps who are civilians.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

You might want to have a word with Shelter (they dont just deal with Homeless people ) :) to see if you are protected in this - obviously you had signed the contract so he might well be in breach of that.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Everyone,

Ive had to come home from work as he turned up, even though i sent him endless text messages advising him this was harassment.

He says he called the police before turning up and they told him that he is allowed to turn up once and that would not be considered harassment. He also says that if i refused to give him the keys then the police have told him to call them and that they will come to my work and take me to get the keys.

I have no idea how this can be; i have a signed contract and he is effectively using the police to assist him in carrying out an illegal eviction.

Ive had to come home as this has really knocked me about, he stood shouting at me while i was in tears outside the front of my work, everyone else came out and stood watching.

Any help would really be appreciated, im pretty desperate at the moment.

Thanks everyone

Hi Sequenci

I have called Shelter, after asking a few questions about my contract then they have said that it is 100% an illegal eviction. With regards to the police, they have said that if he has really contacted the police and if they get involved and force you to hand over the keys then i would be able to make a claim for compensation against them as they technically are assisting him in committing a criminal offence.

They didnt really say much about the harassment, i asked if he could just turn up at my work when i have advised him not to but the woman said that she was not sure about that.

I did agree to meet him later to give him the keys back, simply because i was terrified at work and i couldn't risk the police turning up due to the further embarrassment it would cause but im still not sure if i should or not; Shelter say that i dont have to give them back to him but im worried that he is just going to turn up again tomorrow.

Thanks for that sequenci, its much appreciated.

Right, ive calmed down a bit now thanks to a small vodka (please dont judge me for daytime drinking, lol)

Ive called in and booked tomorrow off work and i am now going to text him to say that i am not handing over the keys. I will tell him that if the police do want to get involved then he can give them my number and they can call me or come round and see me tomorrow and i will show them my contract.

The way i see it is, assuming he is telling the truth about the police then the worst case scenario is that i have to give the keys to the police. Obviously if that then happens then i will be taking it further.

I will also advise the police that this is an illegal eviction and therefore he is committing a criminal offence. I will also advise them about the harassment and show them the text messages, etc.

You know im digressing a little but ive just been looking through my contract and noticed that on the part on the front, where he is supposed to supply his address and contact details he has put the address of my property.

Right, ive calmed down a bit now thanks to a small vodka (please dont judge me for daytime drinking, lol)

Ive called in and booked tomorrow off work and i am now going to text him to say that i am not handing over the keys. I will tell him that if the police do want to get involved then he can give them my number and they can call me or come round and see me tomorrow and i will show them my contract.

The way i see it is, assuming he is telling the truth about the police then the worst case scenario is that i have to give the keys to the police. Obviously if that then happens then i will be taking it further.

I will also advise the police that this is an illegal eviction and therefore he is committing a criminal offence. I will also advise them about the harassment and show them the text messages, etc.

You know im digressing a little but ive just been looking through my contract and noticed that on the part on the front, where he is supposed to supply his address and contact details he has put the address of my property.

That might be another question worth asking Shelter, talloolah.

If the police do turn up, then you can suggest they speak to the advisor at Shelter.

Sounds like you deserve a large vodka :lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That might be another question worth asking Shelter, talloolah.

If the police do turn up, then you can suggest they speak to the advisor at Shelter.

Sounds like you deserve a large vodka :lol:

You do realise that as you are part of the team on a leading advice forum that i now have to follow your advice to the letter and actually have a large one; its practically the law, lol.

I did ask that of shelter and they have said that i am under no legal obligation to return the keys; they also advised me to be careful if i do because he may try and suggest that by doing that i actually surrendered my tenancy.

I did ask that of shelter and they have said that i am under no legal obligation to return the keys; they also advised me to be careful if i do because he may try and suggest that by doing that i actually surrendered my tenancy.

That's actually my worry too. That by handing them back you agree to recind the contract.

• Confused 1

Probably thinking a little bit outside of the box here but if that's the address he's given, and action is brought against him then that's a legitimate address for the servcie of documents!

Hi sequenci,

Yeah that certainly is an interesting one. I find myself wandering if that address would satisfy the relevant legislation and if i was living there, i would essentially be posting it to my own address which then brings up the question, would i, as a tenant have a legal obligation to inform him that a letter has come for him, from me, lol.

I wouldn't like to second guess the courts but surely they would refuse to see that as a valid address for the purpose of the legislation it relates too.

Edited by talloolah76
wrong person in reply

Right, bit of an update but nothing special really.

I have texted the landlord 3 times and asked for the contact details or at least a name of the police officer he spoke to who advised him of this.

The first text he replied to saying "are you not going to give me the keys then" and so i just repeated the same question two more times but he has not replied.

Im not sure but i think he may be lying about the police and so i am going to call them in the morning and see if i can get any more information; I'm sure that if this is not the truth then the police will be very intetested to to hear that he has been essentially using them as a tool to carry out an illegal eviction.

I will update tomorrow as soon as i know more but in the meantime, thank you so so so much for your help and support.

Hi Guys.

Just had another text and email from the landlord saying the same thing... ive copied and psted it so its verbatim.

"Just spoke to the police, it's recorded and logged and I'm formally telling you your items are outside now and they need to be collected tonight. It's also the night then bin men come and I genuinely don't want your stuff to be taken. I'll be up here now if you want to come and collect them."

What do i do :mad2: this seems to be getting more serious by the hour.

If anyone could assist.

This landlord sounds like an absolute shyster. OK, he's got a better offer from someone else, but you have a contract and have paid a deposit so it's just his tough luck. You are the one in the right here! I have to wonder though whether the police would be interested in what is a civil matter. I think he's just trying to intimidate you.

Wonder if he realises you can sue the beejesus out of him and possibly have him imprisoned.

Can you get to a police station and talk to them. SHow them the texts and tell them you are genuinely afraid.

And by speak to the police, i mean speak to an actual officer or sergeant. Not the civilian front desk reps.