Lisestar

Mortgage Interest Relief - waiting period

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2365 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am currently claiming IB JSA jointly with my partner. My partner is the principal claimant. We have recently applied for mortgage interest relief in relation to my flat having been on benefits for more than 12 weeks.

It looks like I may be separating from my partner. As such I'm trying to find out if we separate and I go on to income support (we have a daughter aged 1) whether I would need to wait another 12 weeks as I'm a new claimant or whether the MIR payments could continue albeit in my sole name?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Sorry I should have said, the mortgage is in my sole name.

I think that it should be ok if you transfer from the JSA claim to a claim in a new claim for IS in your own name.

You will have already served the waiting period so you shouldn't have to serve it again, but I'm not a processing officer so am not 100% certain.