Our Girl - TV last night

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What a fantastically well done bit of scriptwriting and acting. So real in every way.

I had to laugh at the dad who was kicked off ESA onto JSA and did a deal with the young guy to have his hand damaged by a nail gun simply to get back onto ESA and get a bit of compo in the process!

Is this a common occurence - it wouldn't surprise me?

What a fantastically well done bit of scriptwriting and acting. So real in every way.

I had to laugh at the dad who was kicked off ESA onto JSA and did a deal with the young guy to have his hand damaged by a nail gun simply to get back onto ESA and get a bit of compo in the process!

Is this a common occurence - it wouldn't surprise me?

Yeah, it happens all the time. Iv'e nailed both hands to a tree (on separate occasions of course!), but in my case unlike the fictional character that used to install sky dishes and fell off the roof (hence ESA) I did it for the fun of it.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

You know, I can't walk down the street without tripping over guys nailing their hands to trees, cutting off their limbs with chainsaws, jumping in front of double-decker buses, ripping their nails out with rusty pliers and clocking themselves over the head with baseball bats. There's a veritable rain of people throwing themselves out of second floor windows and taking care to land on their backs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I'm wondering if I can injure people as a profession under the Permitted Work Scheme ... :boink:

The Permitted Maiming Scheme.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes it made me laugh too. I must admit that I have known people that have set fire to an HGV to claim the insurance, known the same people that backed a lorry into a BMW that went over a 10' high wall and landed on top of VW Passat just for the insurance. Then the 'robbery' that never was to 'lose' £8000 that was covered by insurance, the director that was shot at with a blank firing handgun in the same episode and then went onto claim £235,000 from the Criminal Injuries Comp. Then went on to claim Indistrial Injuries benefit + DLA - PTSD!!!

Then we have the 'staged car crashes' that always ends up with a claim for ESA.

Yes it actually does go on!

But like you, I do see the funny side of human nature.

I am actually genuinely shocked if anyone actually would injure themselves to claim a benefit. I must be very naïve. Injuring themselves to claim a benefit...sickness in itself? I would much prefer to be fit and able to a job, get a wage and be independent of the DWP. I cannot imagine doing anything like this. I am genuinely shocked that this really happens? nooooo?

I am actually genuinely shocked if anyone actually would injure themselves to claim a benefit. I must be very naïve. Injuring themselves to claim a benefit...sickness in itself? I would much prefer to be fit and able to a job, get a wage and be independent of the DWP. I cannot imagine doing anything like this. I am genuinely shocked that this really happens? nooooo?

Somebody somewhere will do pretty much anything you can think of. It should be noted that the TV show referred to in the OP is a work of fiction.

... I am genuinely shocked that this really happens? nooooo?

If this sort of thing occurs at all, then it would be exceedingly rare. To be fair, if someone was so intellectually challenged as to think it a good idea then I doubt if they'd ever be employable anyway ...

well yes I mean sick in the head just about covers it.....I did realise the programme was only acting lol it was the post from dogboneday and the criminal injuries thing that did it ....injuring themselves for money.

well yes I mean sick in the head just about covers it.....I did realise the programme was only acting lol it was the post from dogboneday and the criminal injuries thing that did it ....injuring themselves for money.

No the guy I know wasn't injured as such. The gun only fired blank rounds. His 'injury' was PTSD in respect of him stating that he thought he was going to die - as if, it was a set up!

Having said that and having to put up with endless sessions with the mental health service he came out of it nearly a £0.25m better off!! Not a bad fee for two and a bit years of good acting + of course the benefits.

I know what you mean. If someone said they would take all of my conditions away for life, but I would never be able to claim benefit for myself again, I would have no hesitation in making that deal. Even in this current economy, my earning potential if well, is far in excess of anything I could claim in benefits. But that's not even the point - the daily frustration, humiliation, exhaustion of dealing with multiple long term illnesses is surely not anything someone would willingly take on, for the sake of minimal benefit which is actually difficult to get. Before I became unwell, I went out several evenings a week socially, went to evening classes (which I loved), regularly went out to dinner or lunch, to the cinema, theatre, went to see bands, visited my family (who live a few hundred miles away), and went on holiday, played badminton, netball, went swimming, bowling. I also worked and had a good social life with colleagues too. Why on earth would anyone want to give up all that for being able to do......very little. I try and make the best of things, but even so, there really is no competition.

Anyone would have to be crazy to choose a little money in exchange for losing the opportunity to fully live life.

EDIT: Sorry if a bit ranty, I've been on the verge of hospitalisation for the last week, and the idea of someone wanting to be this sick or disabled is just baffling...especially the way I feel at the moment.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I think those people who do things like that to claim benefits have issues.

I have a friend who was injured at work. They claimed that nothing had happened and that the day he had surgery, he was actually out getting drunk or something! He was in hospital and if I remember rightly, his injuries were serious enough for him to be unable to work.

If this sort of thing occurs at all, then it would be exceedingly rare. To be fair, if someone was so intellectually challenged as to think it a good idea then I doubt if they'd ever be employable anyway ...

Erm this isn't to far from trying to get treatment for mental health tbf!

Anything you do to keep yourself normal and keep you on an even keel is now used as a weapon against you!

The fact I have put in a private counselor to keep me stable is now being used by both the DWP, my GP and everybody else to deny me treatment.

Just because I'm telling you I will not get better with this level of care the mantra is; you according to our book are getting the correct help, we now do not have to do anything to help you as you have help.

For an example I'm now having to start smoking again to get NHS help to really quit smoking! I've gone from addiction to smoking (over a year ago) to needing help quitting the smoking replacement I'm now addicted too. They will not help me quit this unless I can prove I'm smoking!

This is the dichotomy of claiming disability benefits and NHS treatment in a nutshell.

Well really it's treatment by statistics!

If you require treatment and will get better below the measured average it's really good. If on the other hand you you require treatment/help beyond what the book says you're ****ed, as the book says you should be better.

Find the NICE guidance for mental health pre April last year and compare that to what is written now and the difference is truly shocking.

Anything you do to keep yourself normal and keep you on an even keel is now used as a weapon against you!

I'm ****ed then. My social worker is trying to get me help for various issues to help me be independent and help me deal with relationships.

I didn't get much passed the opening credits ... :yawn:

I watched the beginning, seemed like pretty stereotypical portrayal of the 'skivers', can't stand that type of one dimensional crap, propoganda designed to reinforce people's bigoted preconceptions about a certain sector of society.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop