style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife received a fine of £300 for owning an un-insured vehicle. The court date was on a working day and couldn't take time off work to attend. We sent documents to state this was merely a typo and was corrected the same day - however wasn't good enough.

Just had a knock at the door, wasn't expecting visitors so didn't answer it - and had the following posted for my Wife;

FINAL NOTICE

DESPITE PREVIOUS NOTICES AND ATTENDANCE(S) YOU HAVE FAILED TO PAY THE OUTSTANDING SUMS DUE. TAKE NOTICE THAT UNLESS FULL PAYMENT IS MADE IMMEDIATELY I SHALL REMOVE YOUR GOODS FOR SALE AT PUBLIC AUCTION:

After 7pm Today

Balance due as at today: £625.00

IF PAYMENT IS NOT MADE IMMEDIATELY YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR SUBSTANTIAL ADDITIONAL COSTS

The balance has escalated outrageously and I simply don't have the money. I've read up about Marstons and can't see them accepting any affordable payment plans that won't bankrupt me.

I thought the Mrs had sorted something out with the Courts to pay this but clearly she hasn't.

Is there anything I can do to make this affordable?

Marston Bailiffs want to be paid for the debt and costs. You should never miss a court date as they will help arrange a monthly payment plan.

Now speak to the CAB today, make a list of finances you have, something like Stepchange do. Take that to the CAB and then you will probably need to show that to Marston Bailiffs. But you need to sort it out with them by the end of the day. As long as you can clearly show them you can only afford £X amount each month then they have little choice but to accept it.

We're married now - and the debt is in her maiden name. We list together in privately rented housing - would I have to declare my income the bailiffs seeing as they're non-the-wiser of me living there our our marriage?

There is a contact number on the letter (which wasn't even enveloped) - should I hold off speaking to them until I speak with CAB?

What was the issue with the 'typo' ? If this was a wrong reg no. on the Insurance, she could have sorted this out with the help of her Insurers.

Your wife needs to get this sorted, by going down to the magistrates and arranging to pay. Perhaps if she has difficulty in making any payments the bailiff wants, she can arrange a payment plan with the court. If she has the £300 for the fine, then perhaps pay this directly to the court (see if you can do this online). Then it will be a argument with the bailiff about their fees. They can charge her £300 after a first attendence on top of the fine, but if you paid the fine amount, then it may not be easy for the bailiff to enforce their fees.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yeah, was a wrong letter in the wrong Reg number. It was swiftly corrected - but obviously threw a blip out to the DVLA. Just spoke to the Courts - need to get a few bits of pieces together (which they already have!) and see if we can get them to re-open it. I'll post on here with outcome in due course.