I used someone else's Oyster card, had a letter from TfL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need help , I was got caught on the bus by the inspector for using someone Oyster card and they took all my details such as date if birth, name, address and receive letter from TFL that I need to fill my details on the form and send copy of my Oyster card which I sent to them yesterday and I don't know what to do ,can someone help me pls

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I've started a new thread for you and am going to move it to the transport forum in a minute. There will be a short term redirect from here so you can find it.

I expect the transport guys will have questions for you when they turn up and I have one. Please would you tell us what type of Oyster card it was and how many times you used it?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You used someone elses child oyster? are you a child? Is straightforward transfering of tickets to start with which is a byelaw offence for a start and you obviously used it in order to avoid your correct fare.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

, I received a letter from TFL stating "the facts of this incidents are now being considered and I must advice you that legal proceedings may be initiated against you regarding this matter in accordance with Transport for London policy. If you have any comments to make, to write it on the reverse & return the form with personal details within 10 days. You do not have to reply to this letter but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you may later rely on in court. Anything that you do provide in writing may be used in evidence. Failure to respond to this letter may result in the matter being progressed by Transport for London without further notification."

Before you got caught I take it you knew that what you were doing was fraud, which is against the law let alone the transport companies policy? If not, then maybe you should be travelling with an adult! Or did you use it by mistake? In which case you need to explain that to them, especially if you have your own Oyster Card.

The outcome will depend on whether they decide to keep it in-house or make it a criminal charge. it does however seem like they are going to keep it in-house as long as you keep them informed.

Unfortunately for you TfL are usually very reluctant to settle out of court, you could offer to pay their cost's whilst saying sorry and you won't do it again but don't hold your breath, if they do allow you to settle out of court then great, if not then you will need to enter a plea, if you are guilty and accept that then appear in court and plead guilty and show remorse, this will severely reduce any potential fine and cost's.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

Hello again.

As the guys have said, it's hard to guess what might happen, but I think you could well be looking at court. I assume you're not entitled to use a child Oyster card?

What did you say when you replied to TfL?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Reading this thread, the OP doesnt have much of a defence at all. They knowingly and willingly used the card for a lengthy period before they got caught even though they were not entitled to use it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I agree. Although the OP has failed to ask the question that was asked early in the thread, it is clear that s/he is over 18 years of age otherwise s/he would be unlikely to have received a notice of intended prosecution.

It is possible to prosecute a 16 year-old in a Youth Court for this offence, but in common with other organisations, TfL do not normally prosecute under 18s unless there are very serious aggravating factors.

Claiming a child rate discount in this way in order to avoid paying the proper fare is a serious breach of trust. TfL may examine the Oyster record of past journeys and may yet ask further questions.

This is likely to be prosecuted as an offence of 'fare evasion' contrary to Section 5 of The Regulation of Railways Act (1889)

All that the OP can do is to reply truthfully, apologise profusely and ask if TfL will be prepared to allow the case to be disposed of without Court action.

In my experience that is unlikely in a clear case of intentional fare evasion, but the OP loses nothing by asking.