West Yorkshire Police - Subject Access Request - Funny Goings On

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent a Subject Access Request to West Yorkshire Police for data they may or may not hold on me.

I sent the £10, the notice, and received a reply (which I have scanned and pdf'd)

They said that for local searches they are unable to process my S.A.R where I ask for Any or All data held. And must provide specific details i.e Dates, locations, reference numbers etc etc
I have highlighted the section that smells to me like, 'You do all the work thepalace1'

Is this against the Data Protection Act? I was under the impression that on receipt of request and acceptable I.D, they had 40 days to provide ALL data they hold about the Data Subject.

I replied stating I would not be doing their job for them although I understand and accept that they are more than likely very very busy, but I would not be doing their job for them, and reminded them that they had (under the Data Protection Act) to provide ALL data held about a Data Subject and they must make a reasonable effort in trying to find the data.

Am I correct in my reply to them?

Do I have to provide 'Narrowing Search Queries'?

I ask for ALL or ANY data held are they obliged to comply if I don't give them more than my Name, address, date of birth etc etc..

I have a suspicion they are going to write back saying they are not obliged to run a deep search for local data.

thanks in advance

thepalace1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42647[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42647[/ATTACH]

You might have to speak to the Information Commissioner Office - they do have the right to ask you to provide documents to identify yourself. However as for providing dates and times, I am not sure. They should be able to do a search on the details you provide them with.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB.

They have my I.D and have accepted it, so they have about 36 days left, I know why they say it, because it is extra work having to sift through the data, well, I will see if I get a reply from them, I suppose I could ask the Information Commissioner Office for their take on it whilst I am waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a reply, they state that unless I provide specific details relating to the data they will not search for it.

Am I within my rights under the DPA to ask for ALL data, they seem to think they are not required to..

They are asking for specific information for local crimes, thing is some of the bits and pieces on my file was from my youth (minor things, I am not a huge criminal) and I don't remember dates and locations, some of the time was for Breach of Peace when jollyed' up., most of the data is from 1993 to 2000, so 20 years upto 13 years ago, I can't remember dates or locations.

Regards

thepalace1

Edited by thepalace1

All police offices open to the public have avaialble a leaflet outlining the procedure for making a SAR to a police authority.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You have to provide the specific information required, eg in reference to an action/incident on xxxxx etc.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: