• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Toshiba laptop dead at 13 months, PC World will not help

sticko1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Can someone help point me in the right direction regarding what rights someone has when buying as a business??

The reason i ask is because my friend was instructed to purchase a laptop as a business buyer even though the laptop was mainly for home use and not work.

The laptop has died at 13 months, she went to the store to see if they would maybe repair as gesture of goodwill with it only being 13 months old and basically got told to go away/nothing will be done.

Because she bought as a business user they will not honor SOGA 1979 due to it being a business purchase?, while this may be the case is there some other protection that she could fall back on because of this??

Is there another 'act' that may cover her for help with this at all.

More annoyed than anything as she now realise's why they were keen for her to buy as a business when she mentioned she was a physio, as she now has a £350 paperweight !!!!

After looking on the internet it seems this is common practice to get someone to buy as a business if they can so that they can back out on the SOGA if something does go wrong

Thanks in Advance for any help or advice with this.

how did you pay? did you set up a business account with PCW or just buy a single item from their business section of the store?. Did you reclaim the VAT? If no to both of these and especially if you paid for it by cash or ordinary card then it wasnt a business purchase. I suspect they know that anyway but are reliant upon you having to do the legwork and giving up.

• Confused 1

how did you pay? did you set up a business account with PCW or just buy a single item from their business section of the store?. Did you reclaim the VAT? If no to both of these and especially if you paid for it by cash or ordinary card then it wasnt a business purchase. I suspect they know that anyway but are reliant upon you having to do the legwork and giving up.

Thanks for reply. Just had answer back on how she purchased it....

1: NO business account set up it was one off purchase through pc business

2:Paid via Debit Card

3: NO VAT claimed back as she is NOT VAT registered as too small of a company!!!.

Hope that helps??

Unless she has an extended warranty then she gambled with it not breaking. That is basically what the likes of warranties and insurance are ... gambling.

Find out exactly what the issue is with the laptop and publish it on computer help forums, all computer problems are fixable in one way or another.

When you say "died", what happened exactly? Followme is right - you can find out loads of stuff on computer help forums. Type in the full Toshiba details and problem and see what comes up on google.

The motherboard has died on it, started by no video output so suspected graphic chip had gone, but now when powering on it shuts down within 5 seconds.

Unless she has an extended warranty then she gambled with it not breaking. That is basically what the likes of warranties and insurance are ... gambling.

Find out exactly what the issue is with the laptop and publish it on computer help forums, all computer problems are fixable in one way or another.

She never thought to take one out as she expected some good use out of it. The main problem is that PC World are backing out of the sales of goods act 1979 because they instructed her to purchase as a business user which they have now told her that SOGA does not apply to. Just wanting to find out what other options there are. Thought that since they say the SOGA doesnt apply then might fall back on the 2 year EU directive but they rang me back 2 days ago and reckon that this didnt come into force. which i could kind of agree with since SOGA was offering more cover than 2 years so superceeded it but since it didnt apply then it should fall back on the EU

SOGA applies to businesses too. Consumers just get some extra rights.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

SOGA applies to businesses too. Consumers just get some extra rights.

Thought it would do but they are constantly finding excuses.

She purchased the laptop with a debit card, did not open a business account with them and has not claimed vat back on it as not vat registered as its only her doing phsyio work. the laptop was for home use rather than work.

tried to argue with them that if the soga didnt apply then surely it must fall back on the 2year EU directive in some way but they said it didnt come into force.

Just trying to find out what more info i can so i can have another go with them as i am sure they are in the wrong.

I think the fact that they are saying SOGA does not apply is a complete try on. She should be firm and tell them it applies to any faulty goods which are not fit for purpose.

They instructed her to buy it as a business buyer? Why? What benefits was she supposed to derive from doing that? Are they steering purchasers in this direction as some kind of bizarre method of trying to avoid their liabilities under SOGA?

You could always speak to CAB and get detailed advice about SOGA relating to businesses. SOGA still covers you here, but backup from CAB or a business group, and they dont have a leg to stand on.

I used to own a business a few years ago before the recession hit ( part of why i got into a bit of debt), and i had a few problems where suppliers tried to fob me off with SOGA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi

toshiba warraty states that

WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS ANDDISCLAIMER

Any System that has been damaged or rendered defective (a) as a result of

use of the System other than for its normal intended use,

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/images/en/warranties-insurance/WarrantyWeb_EN_UK.pdf.pdf

most of currys /pcworld products are for 'none commercial' use unless its registered as a business via pcwb.co.uk or business account

because you mentioed its for 'business' thats their get away... and if its recorded in their logs, i would suggest t/s or cab or even via smcourt.

Doesnt matter. THats the manufacturers clause. The retailer still needs to adhere to SOGA.

They are not doing anything though :-(

They will not do anything with SOGA as they say it was business purchase, it was bought through pc world business instore because of this, BUT no business account was set up with them when she bought it she just paid via debit card and no vat has been claimed back on it as she is not vat registered.

Tried saying that if the SOGA doesnt apply then does the 2 year EU directive come into play??? i know that normally no because SOGA gives 6 years fallback on it but if that doesnt apply then thought the EU would. person i spoke to on the phone from PC world business said that the 2 year EU directive was never 'brought in' so can not be used ???

Have emailed them to ask if, for a business account you need to be vat registered AND open an account with them. If they reply saying yes then they will have shot themselves in the foot so to speak as that would then be enough to really have a go at them.

I am sure there is a way to get this fixed with them just got to figure out the right way and get my facts in order before i take them on again.

So no business account opened, yet they claim it is sold through a business account?

Then it would be a consumer purchase and subject to full SOGA regardless if it is used for business or not.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

just come across you dilema and dont know if this information would benefit you, daughter purchased a Toshiba latop from PC World and a few days after warranty ran out it developed a fault and stopped working, Daughter had a diagnostic on it and it stated that a chip had burnt out near the jackplug.

PC World refused to even look at it cos of the warranty.

It has no hard drive in it but remains in as new condition still in its original box, daughter was quite upset as she paid just under £700 for it.

Then approximately 2 years ago I came upon this information, had alraedy had the diagnostic report ascertaining a burnt out chip, this I found was a Generic Fault found in certain laptops. If you click on the generic name it will take you to the forums, it doesn 't matter how old the Laptop is just so long as you act within 6 years of acknowledging the fault.

Have a good search round the forums and it will state all the models that are effected, my daughters was a HP toshiba DV9500 and is one of the worst effected, hope this info proves valuable for you

Index page • The Nvidia Defect Forum

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/‎[/url]

junkimunki x

Edited by JunkiMunki
forgot to include details of fault

Not sure about the 6 year period quoted, as I thought that there was an argument that is was the lifetime relevant to the product type. If you had a laptop that failed after 5 years 6 months, due to a faulty part, I think it may be quite difficult to get Toshiba to pay for the repair. They will argue that the laptop may have been used for many hours each day over the 5 years and as such some of the parts will have reached their lifetime of use. This type of situation has featured on programmes such as Don't get done, get Dom on numerous occasions. Pretty sure there is always a caveat about the 'lifetime' of the product, as some products would never work for 6 years or more.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

dv9000 deff has a nvidia issue

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Surely if they were to advertise their products as only being in working condition for 12 months, then they wouldnt get many purchasers !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D