style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I am messaging on behalf of my friend.

He is an international student here, and his landlady has basically attempted to do two false claims against him; a false Section 8 case which started in July 2012 (which is going to trial), and a section 21 case she started in October 2012. In January, the courts were confused about why two claims had been started so called for a hearing to understand the situation for both cases. Eventually the 21 case wass struck out,because she did not provide relevant info to him or put his deposit in the deposit scheme on time, and the 8 was decided to go to trial, because my friend has put in a counterclaim and defence due to harassment and bills appearing in his name. shortly after the courts decision, the landlady has yet again filed a section 21 claim against my friend..

It is a verrrrry long story, and basically they're looking to go to trial, so witness statements are being drafted up and there's a pretrial hearing in April.

My question is basically, is there any way for him to get free legal aid here? He was granted some for a hearing back in october from Shelter, but they then stopped the funding and are saying they cannot fund him anymore. Is anyone able to represent him/work on his behalf to help?

thanks

My question is basically, is there any way for him to get free legal aid here? He was granted some for a hearing back in october from Shelter, but they then stopped the funding and are saying they cannot fund him anymore. Is anyone able to represent him/work on his behalf to help?

Hello there.

I'm not sure if you're asking for legal help here, but I'm afraid it's not what we do. Have you tried the local Community Legal people? I can't remember the exact name, hopefully the guys here will help me out. Equally, I don't know too much about Legal Aid but will try to find something.

Depending on the answers, it may be worth looking at moving this thread to the legal forum where you and your friend will get advice but not representation.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

I'm not sure if you're asking for legal help here, but I'm afraid it's not what we do. Have you tried the local Community Legal people? I can't remember the exact name, hopefully the guys here will help me out. Equally, I don't know too much about Legal Aid but will try to find something.

Depending on the answers, it may be worth looking at moving this thread to the legal forum where you and your friend will get advice but not representation.

My best, HB

Hi,

Thank you so much for replying back so fast.

Not entirely sure how to move this thread?

I just want to know if there's any way of getting financial help for court costs/fees, and for being represented, if you're an international student..

Thank you

Hello again. If the thread needs moving, one of the forum regulars will let us know.

I'll see if I can find anything about legal aid. Has your friend spoken to the CAB?

HB

Hi,

Brilliant thank you.. Yes he's spoken with CAB, who directed him through to Shelter, but now Shelter are unable to help, saying he must be rich since he's an international student, so won't receive funding.

Your friend probably isn't entitled to legal aid. Legal aid is public funds, and those on student visas do not have recourse to public funds.

He can try here though: http://legaladviserfinder.justice.gov.uk/AdviserSearch.do

If he is lucky, the county court where the case is being heard may have a duty advice scheme, in which case he will get help on the day of the hearing, but not with producing witness statements.

Which county court is it?