• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

new council tax benefit award letter came this mornirng

time4change2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apart from the obvious that they have increased the subsistence level benefits by less than inflation and we are thus worse off and then they decide we have to contribute to council tax, so we are now even worse off.

Then it varies by area,so some areas may have no extra payments to make while other areas have 10% or even more to make. Depending on the level of council tax in your area and the band of your house it could be a huge amount.

Then on top of the cap on the number of bedrooms you have you are stuffed. I do have to say i have mixed views on the bedroom situation as why should a single person be in 4 bedroom social housing.

i agree with you there a single person should not have a 3 4 bedroom house but a person who is disabled who has to have a 2 bedroom house for an overnight carer should be allowed but in this day and age there not even allowed that

25% council tax we have to were from the north east not to sure about other places but that's whet we have been tool in our letter we have to 125% not to sure why as i know some people who only pay 10%/20% but seems we got the max to pay

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i agree about someone who is ill and needing care. Even in the mid 90's it was difficult to get a bigger property than you "needed" even for the terminally ill although that may be because that council is terminally inept.

It is complex and i don't know the answer but i know that this isn't the best way to do it.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

We received ours yesterday. Typical, on a Saturday when you can't contact them. We live in Cornwall, Band A with a liability of 25% Works out at just over £20 per month.

Is this the new Poll Tax then? I bet it never goes down again. Not once they realise they can squeeze money out of people who have little to begin with. Especially with the threat of bailiffs, court and prison if you don't comply!!!

Not heard anything from our council yet but understand that the Welsh Government is funding any shortfall this year so if you're eligible for full help for this year, should be ok for this coming year too. Next year is a different story though.

I wonder if those who have to pay and for whom it is a struggle can negotiate to pay over 12 months instead of 10, I know this option used to be available.

As I mentioned earlier

All council's will have a discretionary fund available ( I found mine on the local councils website)

this is for those vulnerable people who fit the criteria decided by their own council...please check the website for your council to discover the discretionary fund in operation for your area!

As I mentioned earlier

All council's will have a discretionary fund available ( I found mine on the local councils website)

this is for those vulnerable people who fit the criteria decided by their own council...please check the website for your council to discover the discretionary fund in operation for your area!

Correct see here [EDIT]

Appears to be in the Twilight Zone though

Edited by seanamarts
Link deleted

im not to sure how there going to work this out though if someone gets full DLA and ESA as they have a lot of disabilities that could amount to lets say £1000 a month with these benefits together they might say ok you have enough money to pay for the extra council tax yourself?

as i was under the impression those extra payments were for those on a low income? same with bedroom tax extra payments? surely if this is the case then disabled people will still be effected no better off then they started.

i got one of the discretionary payments applications for the bedroom tax and they want to know everything how much you get what you spend on bills shopping toiletries ect ect so i dont see how this is going to work to be honest

As I mentioned earlier

This is for help with rent, I doubt you would be able to claim this for council tax.

Unfortunately, most council will be doing this sooner or later. Its worked out that most council are charging about 8/10% of the full years council tax.

Every body on benefits will eventually be effected. However Im sure I have read somewhere that OAP's are exempt.

Its extremely unfair for all but especially for those who are disabled and cannot even go out to work to try and balance the purse. Benefits havnt even gone up to help those effected, to cover this cost. It looks like it goes in one hand and they take it back in the other. But I suppose they look at it as we are all paying into the system so to stop people who do pay it from calling people on benefit scroungers who dont pay tax.

Dosnt make sence, then again nothing that this government has done makes any sense, its just another way of making the poor even poorer.

If our councils stop wasting the money on nonsensical things then no one would have to pay such high council tax.

East London (Newham) Band B 25% single persons reduction, 1 X£13.67 11 X £12.00 total £145.67

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

well with the new council tax benefit letter came today have to pay £9.00 a month starting from the 1st of April seems there no one safe from this at the moment have to pay a total of £90.00 a year now

anyone else had there's yet?

compared to my council thats very soft.

I was paying £16 a month in 2011, £12 month in 2012, now £26 a month £257 payable over the year and thats band A with single adult so approx 1/3 I have to pay. If I can get hold of a ESA3 and get it processed I will go down a bit but I think will be approx £15-16 a month still.

My sister was paying 0 and now has to pay £22 a month with 2 adults. (no excess income). My sister with no excess income is paying approx in % about 24%. My council claim they have had a budget cut of a whopping 17%.

My view is leics city council have deliberatly increased the impact for political reasons or they are just incompetant.

Well and truly a postcode lottery now, very unfair.

I foresee that the bailiffs are going to be very busy later this year. There will be so many mistakes made by the council in sorting this whole business out, plus the fact that many people on benefits just wont be able to pay this. People on benefits can barely cope now. Even £2.50 a week, which I can imagine is going to be the average to pay, is a lot of money for some one on benefits.

It will be a toss up of whether they eat for a day or pay the CT.

If everyone effected appealed the bedroom tax and refused to pay the council tax element, the whole thing would collapse. The answer is there.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

If everyone effected appealed the bedroom tax and refused to pay the council tax element, the whole thing would collapse. The answer is there.

I agree that everyone should appeal but it wont be long till the government do something to counter the move. For example stopping HB whilst waiting for your appeal to be heard.

This is the kind of nazi regime we have in government :-)

what makes you think people will stand together?

the last decade or so everyone just thinks of themselves.

evident in that noone moaned about the HB changes until those in council houses were been targeted later.

Exactly seanamarts,

I am budgeted up to the hilt and cannot afford £5.00 a month on top of everything else, as it is I spend far less than £200. per month allocated to my husband & I, we often have just a sandwich for dinner as we cannot afford a meal...

It's all wrong! I have other commitments which sadly break into my disability money as it is so how they expect me to manage this I'll never know!!

The elderly I fear will be harder hit and that is a real worry.. Think it's high time I got to know who my new neighbours are and see if they are going to be ok...

yes as I understand it pensioners are not having to pay any council tax at all. Had my letter this morning and my charge is £174.14 for the year, broken down to monthly payments, 1st £21.14 on 10th April and then the rest at £17.00 on the 10th of each month until Jan 2014.

compared to my council thats very soft.

I was paying £16 a month in 2011, £12 month in 2012, now £26 a month £257 payable over the year and thats band A with single adult so approx 1/3 I have to pay. If I can get hold of a ESA3 and get it processed I will go down a bit but I think will be approx £15-16 a month still.

My sister was paying 0 and now has to pay £22 a month with 2 adults. (no excess income). My sister with no excess income is paying approx in % about 24%. My council claim they have had a budget cut of a whopping 17%.

My view is leics city council have deliberatly increased the impact for political reasons or they are just incompetant.

Well and truly a postcode lottery now, very unfair.

Leicester CC run a discretionary fund for the new council tax scheme for vulnerable people.

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/housing/council-tax/ways-to-reduce-your-bill/council-tax-reduction-scheme/