Debt that isnt

crocodille

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

Need some advice please.

Recently had some work done by an electrician, queried the bill as soon as it arrived and asked for a breakdown of materials.

Was not happy as materials were twice verbaly quoted BUT sent cheque for full amount with a polite letter of displeasure.

Cheque was sent within the 28 days terms of payment and recieved inside that time by trader and cashed by trader after 31 days of invoice.

So today get letter from debt collectors saying I owe 200 odd quid to settle debt to trader.

He has obviously done this out of spite, how do I proceed ?

I have asked my bank for a copy of the cashed cheque and I know I have to respond to the debt collectors.

Thanks

Croc

Thank you for the reply.

Who would I tell that I paid the collectors or the tradesman ?

I was going to phone the collectors on Monday. They say that they wrote to me on the 1st March and I ignored the letter. I only have a second letter dated 8th March with a demand for payment.

I have had no previous letter from them so I guess that they are up to something already.

I dont think I can ignore this, I have proof that the cheque has been cashed.

Croc

I certainly wouldn't ring them unless you can record the call. If anyone it would be the Debt Collector and it would would just be a very short letter advising you acknowledge no debt to them or anyone they represent and the "alleged" creditor has been paid in full.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would imagine you are a long way off them taking any action so would be tempted to ignore it, say another 14 days - after all it should also be up to the Creditor to advise payment has been made. Debt Collectors have no powers and their letters are designed to make you feel guilty.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having had no experience of this I feel unprepared and uninformed. I do not fell guilty though, just jarred off that not only did I get my leg lifted on price but now have this to contend with.

Thanks again.