LA Fitness and ARC Europe - problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the generous sharing of your thoughts, and apologies for hijacking the thread. I am posting my question here as I think it is related to the discussed topic. Here is my story:

1. I signed a contract with LA Fitness for a year (~42 £/ month), but had to cancel my DD after three month because I lost my job and could not extend my work permit. At the time, I am living outside of the UK.

2. I have talked to the LA Fitness staff twice over the phone and tried to explain them my situation, but it was not helpful. My debt has now been transferred to Arc Europe and they have contacted my once by email (there is no mention of money in their email and it just says to get in touch with them)

I feel that I had a valid reason to cancel the contract, but I don't know how to discuss it with them. What is the best strategy to sort out this problem without paying too much money? I am ready to pay one month of membership fee for the abrupt cancelation of my contract. Any suggestion would be welcome.

P.S: I have no permanent address at the moment, but my UK account is still active. Is there a way for them to freeze my account or get the money debited from my account without my consent?

Hi Miko and welcome to CAG

I've put your post into your own thread which you can use from now on.

Please don't bother trying to discuss this with either the gym or with ARC. They are ONLY interested in getting money from you. In fact, do not speak to them at all.

Cancel the DD Mandate by contacting your bank immediately, or they'll take money from you each month.

There is nothing they can do about chasing this if you're not even in the UK now.

I would normally suggest writing to them about losing your job so you could come to an arrangement. However, experience has shown us that you would be wasting your time.

Ignore any calls from them and, if they call you, just hang up. Ignore their emails too and do not respond to them.

If you are still worried by them and their communications, just let us know and we'll try to help.

:-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. It was really heart warming to read your posts on this forum. I am sure it has helped many people in this situation. I will just keep ignoring them!

Hi Miko,

Sorry, I have just realised you said in your first post that you cancelled the DD when you lost the job.

Keep us updated about their attempts at contact, etc.

:-D

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)