• Tweets

• Thank you both. My defence was as vague as their Claim. 1. I am the defendant in this claim and litigant in person. All allegations made by the claimant are denied. 2. The defendant does not recognise the alleged agreement xxxxxxxxxxx as mentioned in the particulars of claim therefore it is denied that any such agreement exists. 3. The defendant has requested copies of the alleged agreement under Data Subject Access Request, Consumer Credit act 1974 s.77/8 and Civil Procedure Rules 31.4 but to date the claimant has failed to provide a copy of this document. 4.The defendant has also requested copies of the default and termination notice for the alleged account xxxxxxxxx as required to legally enforce the alleged debt, but again the claimant has failed to provide either. 5. In addition the defendant has requested copies of statements for the alleged account xxxxxxx showing the amount of monies allegedly owed to the claimant. To Date these have not been provided. 6. The defendants view is that this claim is vexatious and an abuse of process as the claimant has failed to provide any documentation to support their claim and respectfully requests that the said claim be struck out.   As an aside, I noticed that the 'statement' they did provide had a different figure on it to what they are claiming, so I will hopefully be able to flesh out quite a bit in my skeleton argument.   Spam 
    • 80% refund sounds like a very good deal* as they are entitled by law to deduct an amount from the refund to reflect the use you have had of the item over the 12 months it has been working.   So you could argue that a deduction of 20% for one year indicates that they expect it to last for at least five years, and probably longer.     * Think about it this way - would you pay 80% of the value of a brand new iPad to buy a second-hand one that somebody else has been using for over a year, or would you expect to get it cheaper than that?
    • Hi WoodDD.. Neither Case was cited in the VSC WS... however, MR D form VCS threw in VCS v Ward & Idle for the Judge to consider during the hearing. The Judge did not have time to review this. I believe he may have had a quick scan but decided it wasn't relevant at the time.. By not relevant, he didn't elaborate if it was not admissible or anything else..   Hope this helps..   Regards Tom     
    • Can I  ask what you mean by "... they recommended a firm... "?   I ask because I'm a bit surprised that Social Services are even allowed to do that.  (I may be mistaken and that this is common practice, but it seems a bit odd to me).   If they did do so and the work has turned out to be sub-standard and unsatisfactory, I would have no hesitation in making a formal complaint to the council and also to my (or your friend's) local councillor(s).  You acted on the council's recommendation and you should have a reasonable expectation that the firm recommended should be reliable and professional.  I would also insist that trading standards be asked to investigate this firm.  (Where I live our local county council trading standards department runs an approved trader database).   A complaint to the council might not directly assist you but it might help to prevent others being taken in by this firm.
    • Hello Susan, welcome to CAG.   Hopefully Paul Walton will see this message and reply to you, but it would also be a good idea to start a new thread of your own so we can advise on anything else connected with your refund.   Best, HB
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Failed to Attend Medical for ESA at Atos - ** DECISION REVERSED **

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2880 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, my wife failed to attend Work Capability Assessment Medical on 29 January 2013, her ESA was continued to be paid up until last week 6 March 2013.

We received a letter saying it was stopped for failing to attend.

We informed ATOS prior to the appointment time that she was unable to attend due to being not well enough due to an Acute Onset of sever diarrhea. They said they would inform Jobcentre,

Can you please have a look at this letter I have drafted to see if it is suitably worded do initiate an appeal against the decision to stop the benefit.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like you to accept this as notice to appeal against a recent decision for my claim for Employment Support Allowance to be stopped due to Failing to Attend a Work Capability Assessment Medical on 29 January 2013.

On this date PRIOR to the appointment commencing, I called Atos healthcare on the correct telephone number and informed them that I was suffering with an acute attack of severe diarrhea.

This was informed to Atos Healthcare before the start of my appointment, Atos Healthcare informed me that they would take care of everything, and they would inform the Job Centre.

I received your letter on 11 March 2013 advicing the benefit had been stopped.

Please accept this as my intention to initiate an appeal regarding this stop as I could not have attended the medical due to the acute attack of severe diarrhea.

If I was to have left my house to attend the appointment, I would have soiled myself within the first 5 minutes, and every 5 minutes thereafter. I would have suffered severe embarrassment and loss of a basic human right to dignity, This right to dignity would have been removed by the Jobcentre and by Atos Healthcare had I have attended.

I look forward to receiving your reply to my appeal initiation letter.

With kindest regards

Miss xxxxxxxxxxx

Can anyone see if the wording is ok, or if infact I am going down the correct route following a failure to attend.

I really do need to get it posted off today if it is the right course of action

:thepalace1:

You're not going down an incorrect route but there may be a better one.

Did your wife receive a BF223 letter, from Jobcentreplus, within a few days of the missed appointment? Page one gives details of the missed appointment. Page two asks the claimant's reasons for non attendance.

Margaret.

• Haha 1

No she did not, the only letter we received was 7 March, saying We have looked at your claim following a recent change, We cannot pay you an aollowance from 30 January, this is because; You failed to attend the Work Capability Assessment Medical on 29 January 2013.

As I say this letter was received 7 March, 37 days after the missed appointment.

It says this on Atos website Please contact us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend your assessment. If your appointment is for a Work Capability Assessment we can rearrange your appointment on one occasion. If you are unable to attend for a second time the DWP ask us to issue you with a form, on which you can explain the circumstances to the DWP.

For your information, the form your wife should've received can be seen at;

http://whatdotheyknow.com/request/mec_administration_guide_v6#incoming-354324

And an appeal form, if you find forms easier that letters, can be downloaded from;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/gl24dwp.pdf

Doesn't matter whether you write a letter to include the word 'appeal' or use the GL24 appeal form. My personal preference is to use the form, except for part 8 which I usually write as a statement.

Too late to complete a BF223 cos you can't prove your wife didn't receive one. Explain that you thought everything was OK cos your wife didn't receive a BF223. Then use the descriptive phrases from your original letter to make sure you answer all the questions on the BF223 within your appeal.

Pay particular attention to the question about documentary evidence. Was the diarrhoea part of your wife's condition? If it was a tummy bug have you a receipt for a product brought from a pharmacy? If you've nothing else add a short confirmatory statement from yourself. Is the call to Atos itemised on a phone bill?

:panda: Sincerely, Margaret.

The call will be itemised as it was made from a contract mobile phone, we have access to billing itemization online..

The diarrhoea was not part of the condition, It was we believe a consequence of some sort of bug.

We honestly thought everything was ok, we recevied payments as far up to 07/03/2013

Thanks matt, and thanks Margaret for helping us with this.

Yes, I have just located the phone call entry on our itemised phone bill with Tmobile

Date Day Time Number Type Duration

29 Jan Tue 12:35 0800 2888777 0800 Number 3:35

Yep, that's the number for Shatos' ever unhelpful desk. They've tried to improve its image by renaming it the virtual contact centre.

Currently, 08002 888777 is also the number to call, to ask for an audio recorded assessment.

Good luck with your wife's appeal.

Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**
  • 3 weeks later...

Well actually I say appeal, the decision was reversed at the "DWP Take a look at the decision again" stage, before it had gone to appeal.

I worded the form as best I could, I provided print outs of my wife's online itemised phone bill proving that we told Atos that she could not make the appointment etc etc, and the empty box for Immodium Tablets.....