• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mandation to volunterr for a charity shop

oblivious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you said things far better than I ever could lily-monroe and in my experience those that enjoy playing the game are not as genuine as those who would rather be straight up and find they are punished for being so.

How are you meant to earn respect when you cannot get a job.

I also would question how can anyone keep their respect when jumping through the hoops and often in a very demeaning manner - to keep on the right side of claiming benefits.

You sort of make it sound as if we should bow down and kiss the ground for the little help we get.

Most people who claim benefits are genuine people, who want to work - they just wanted to be treated with respect - and that cuts both ways surely.

Respect is about more than just having a job .... its not what you do for a living but the person you are and how you deal with life.

I may be temporarily unemployed but I'm certainly not lacking in self-respect, or ambition, or drive or passion for what I want to do. I regularly help and support many people both able-bodied and disabled, not only by being empathic and listening but also in very practical terms, by sharing what I have, teaching others, sharing my skills and talents, and volunteering in the charity sector to raise very substantial funds to support sick and disabled children - some with life-limiting or terminal illness, along with running my own fledgling business for 2 days a week.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to claim benefits but we live in a welfare state, and if we're not employed or on a very low income and want to survive, we have to jump through hoops - no matter how idiotic or complicated they are - in order to satisfy DWP, we have no choice. We do, however, have a choice about how we behave and treat other people ...... I certainly would never antagonise any member of DWP staff - they are only doing their job - I am always polite and respectful and would never deliberately fail to follow any "direction" given ,,, whether I approved of them or not. There is more than one to skin a cat. Empower yourself with knowledge, know your rights and be assertive but not aggressive. There is no dignity railing against the moon!

I believe that most people who claim benefits are, of course, genuine - there are almost 6,000,000 of us in the UK who claim benefits of one kind or another. We can rant and rave about the inadequacies of the welfare system but, unless we play the game, we'll starve. So, until we all vote for a party who will be all to all people, we're stuck with the coalition government we voted for.

Impecunious! :-)

just one thing to add how do you afford a car on JSA because i couldnt?

I hadn't realised that being on JSA precluded anyone from owning or running a car, or a washing machine or even a pc and internet connection - which we all seem to have cos we're here! I budget carefully, pay my bills, eat well and do it all on my own. I also manage to save a little. It's called living within your means.

Imp!

exactly Impecunious. its about exactly who you are. no one was questioning what you stand for but you questioned me and what I stand for. you told me to stop applying for housing and tax benefits because my stance is I will not work in a charity shop because I believe it will not benefit me.

you then state that I should be grateful that I am able to eat and receive whatever else I need each day. Why should I be grateful for this? I cannot make an employer employ me, I cannot be responsible for the economic climate, I cannot be responsible for companies being greedy and placing their millions of profits into bank accounts, and will not invest, because they place no confidence in the economic climate to make them further millions.

I am not responsible for anything. All I want is a job if no one will give me one thats not my fault.

Respect is about more than just having a job .... its not what you do for a living but the person you are and how you deal with life.

I may be temporarily unemployed but I'm certainly not lacking in self-respect, or ambition, or drive or passion for what I want to do. I regularly help and support many people both able-bodied and disabled, not only by being empathic and listening but also in very practical terms, by sharing what I have, teaching others, sharing my skills and talents, and volunteering in the charity sector to raise very substantial funds to support sick and disabled children - some with life-limiting or terminal illness, along with running my own fledgling business for 2 days a week.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to claim benefits but we live in a welfare state, and if we're not employed or on a very low income and want to survive, we have to jump through hoops - no matter how idiotic or complicated they are - in order to satisfy DWP, we have no choice. We do, however, have a choice about how we behave and treat other people ...... I certainly would never antagonise any member of DWP staff - they are only doing their job - I am always polite and respectful and would never deliberately fail to follow any "direction" given ,,, whether I approved of them or not. There is more than one to skin a cat. Empower yourself with knowledge, know your rights and be assertive but not aggressive. There is no dignity railing against the moon!

I believe that most people who claim benefits are, of course, genuine - there are almost 6,000,000 of us in the UK who claim benefits of one kind or another. We can rant and rave about the inadequacies of the welfare system but, unless we play the game, we'll starve. So, until we all vote for a party who will be all to all people, we're stuck with the coalition government we voted for.

Impecunious! :-)

I did not vote for this shower.

Neither do I see it as a game we must play - far from it.

I see it as playing with peoples lives at a time when they are at their most vulnerable.

I went for my 2nd ATOS medical last week.

I was asked to take 25p from a £1 a coat was pointed to and I was asked what it was.

Touch my nose with right and then left hand.

Spell the word - house!

Is that a game; because it is was no game to me, that is my dignity being kicked into the gutter.

I am ill - not brain dead.

I am 56 and have never claimed benefits up until the last few years.

You are not alone in helping others I have always done so - not sure that why, when I am ill, I am seen as a possible scrounger or why I should jump through hoops to prove my illness.

I have been honest in all of dealings with the DWP attended every meeting, (with a yes Sir no Sir attitude) and apart from my medical they have been fair to me (would not want to say otherwise).

It is time they worked out the genuine people and treated them with some respect whatever benefit they are on.

After all that costs nothing!

exactly Impecunious. its about exactly who you are. no one was questioning what you stand for but you questioned me and what I stand for. you told me to stop applying for housing and tax benefits because my stance is I will not work in a charity shop because I believe it will not benefit me.

you then state that I should be grateful that I am able to eat and receive whatever else I need each day. Why should I be grateful for this? I cannot make an employer employ me, I cannot be responsible for the economic climate, I cannot be responsible for companies being greedy and placing their millions of profits into bank accounts, and will not invest, because they place no confidence in the economic climate to make them further millions.

I am not responsible for anything. All I want is a job if no one will give me one thats not my fault.

You are totally responsible for yourself and your actions!! Good God man!! If no-one will give you a job, do it for yourself. I am!

I did not vote for this shower.

Neither do I see it as a game we must play - far from it.

I see it as playing with peoples lives at a time when they are at their most vulnerable.

I went for my 2nd ATOS medical last week.

I was asked to take 25p from a £1 a coat was pointed to and I was asked what it was.

Touch my nose with right and then left hand.

Spell the word - house!

Is that a game; because it is was no game to me, that is my dignity being kicked into the gutter.

I am ill - not brain dead.

I am 56 and have never claimed benefits up until the last few years.

You are not alone in helping others I have always done so - not sure that why, when I am ill, I am seen as a possible scrounger or why I should jump through hoops to prove my illness.

I have been honest in all of dealings with the DWP attended every meeting, (with a yes Sir no Sir attitude) and apart from my medical they have been fair to me (would not want to say otherwise).

It is time they worked out the genuine people and treated them with some respect whatever benefit they are on.

After all that costs nothing!

My comments have not been directed at you. I can't imagine being ill, unable to work and surviving on benefits but I know about caring for someone with mental illness.

My son suffers from severe mental illness as I've posted before on here - Paranoid Schizophrenia Psychosis -- he works full-time in a very technical and demanding job, rarely ever has time off sick (but he's constantly sick and ill), is medicated to the hilt, is on anti=depressants and has OCD and a sleep disorder. He does not and will not claim any kind of benefits. I couldn't spend 24 hours in his head. I respect him totally ... he is an example to so many people. He literally has to drag himself out of bed every morning because he is almost comotosed with drugs but he does, every minute of every day is a challenge. He's had this illness for over 12 yrs now but I've never heard him complain - he just gets on with it - because it's the only life he has. The day gives up will be the day he dies - literally and metaphorically.

Impecunious!

Edited by antone
Fixed quote tags

you sound just like the advisors at the job center Impecunious and all the liberal ideological thinking that precedes today, no understanding whatsoever for people and how difficult things can be and because someone does not have a job in an employers world who can pick and choose from hundreds of applicants it's automatically their fault.

I wish I was back in victoria britain at least I would be able to just walk into a job without having fill in application forms, write CVs and then have an interview before I am even considered for a job and then have to struggle before I am even paid for the work I have done. The victorians were cruel but at least they kept things far more simple than they do today. The politicians do not see this and blame only the job seeker for not trying hard enough.

If finding a job was just as simple as contacting an employer I would have hundreds of jobs to go to.

I agree with lily-monroe I am not interested in playing games just so I can eat and have anything else that is my human right. I am a person who should be treated with respect no matter what my values are, no one has the right to dictate how people should think and act just to satisfy their own beliefs.

you have much more means than anyone else because running a car is expensive.

I get exactly £71pw week - normal JSA for someone over 35 _ DWP only allows for a £5 pw disregard. Any income earned in excess of £71 will be deducted almost penny for penny from my HB and CT ... ..... Not disclosing earned income whilst on benefits would be classified as "fraud" .. I might be forthright but I'm certainly not dishonest or a benefits cheat!

you sound just like the advisors at the job center Impecunious and all the liberal ideological thinking that precedes today, no understanding whatsoever for people and how difficult things can be and because someone does not have a job in an employers world who can pick and choose from hundreds of applicants it's automatically their fault.

I wish I was back in victoria britain at least I would be able to just walk into a job without having fill in application forms, write CVs and then have an interview before I am even considered for a job and then have to struggle before I am even paid for the work I have done. The victorians were cruel but at least they kept things far more simple than they do today. The politicians do not see this and blame only the job seeker for not trying hard enough.

If finding a job was just as simple as contacting an employer I would have hundreds of jobs to go to.

I agree with lily-monroe I am not interested in playing games just so I can eat and have anything else that is my human right. I am a person who should be treated with respect no matter what my values are, no one has the right to dictate how people should think and act just to satisfy their own beliefs.

Of course I have an understanding of being unemployed -- I live it every day -------------------- I am UNEMPLOYED, in receipt of JSA and signing on every fortnight - just like you and millions of other people ...... but I'm not going to be defined by being jobless .......

In Victorian times, if you were unemployed and starving, with no financial support, you'd probably end up in the work-house ...... or debtors' prison ........... or dead!

END OF!!

Can we please get this thread back on topic otherwise we will be forced to close it :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D