• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mandation to volunterr for a charity shop

oblivious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't work in those 3 years, how do you explain that level of gap in your CV?

By the way why are we discussing that Kat Reily case? That girl from the museum who took MWA to the Court of Appeal and sort of won. Although the names have changed to protect the innocent this thread is a carbon copy tbf!

Edited by honeybee13

Recent reading of charity websites and the Charity Commission website indicate that some charity shops use up to 30 volunteers a week. This means that the "burden" of work through the week is spread fairly across the volunteer workforce. So, it's quite possible to just do the occasional shift .... it doesn't have to be too onerous. One afternoon shift a week shouldn't be too difficult to secure if you wanted it.

In general, volunteers are fairly transient - it's usually 20% of volunteers that do 80% of the work - managed by a paid manager - who may possible oversee several units over a large area. The more menial the tasks, the greater the turnover.

One of the largest national UK charities, located in many of our hospitals, is spending a small fortune on intensive training for uniformed volunteers on EPOS (tills to you and me) and how to make a multitude of frothy coffees, from new, all singing, all dancing machines. I shouldn't imagine they would appreciate a large turnover of volunteers - the costs would be overwhelming. Mind you, they have approximately 40,000 volunteers (not all making coffee :-)) and the cost of expenses and training given to these volunteers is quite literally eye-watering. "Charity" isn't always benevolent, the vast majority of "service-users" (for this particular charity) make very substantial contributions to the services they need from their pensions and benefit payments.

It's an easy ask for Job Centre advisors to direct those in receipt of JSA to find "work" in a charity shop. They're really not very imaginative! Although, the vast majority of charitable organisations in the UK don't raise income through retail outlets, there is definitely no shortage of "charity shops" in every high street. However, I would seriously question the "value" in terms of work experience that this type of volunteering would generate and it would be difficult to quantify the benefit to any potential employer, except that "I volunteered ......" (even though it was "mandated") on your CV may impress some people.

Of course, from a purely personal perspective, many people love volunteering and being able to give their time, their talents and their skills to causes close to their hearts is immeasurable.

Right, I'm off shopping -- going to rake through all the charity shops in Cheshire for some bargains!

Impecunious! :-)

I think it is very wrong of the Advisors to suggest you even consider removing your qualifications from your CV - it is in fact inviting you to mislead employers. Ask them if they will put in writing that they are asking you to do this, under threat of sanctions if you dont !!

how the hell could they get away with sanctioning someone for not removing qualifications from their c/v? :???:

ALL my qualifications are HIGHLIGHTED AND ILLUMINATED WITH FLASHING LIGHTS on my CV!

I wouldn't remove them for anyone! They cost me a **** fortune (I'm still paying for them) and I worked my socks off too. Not hiding my light under a bushel.

I tried volunteering in a charity job just to give me something to do, but the bossy retired type woman in charge who had no idea of dealing with employees, the retail sector etc really turned me off and I walked out after 5 hours. That was many years ago.

Compulsory steps to find work - Jobseeker’s directions

While you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, the officer you see at the Jobcentre Plus office may make suggestions about things you could do to increase your chances of finding work. If you fail to take these steps, you may be given a jobseeker’s direction. This is a formal instruction for you to take certain action to help you find work, for example, attending a particular course, registering with the Universal Jobmatch service or with an employment agency, responding to a particular advertisement or taking part in a 'back to work session'.

More on government schemes that can help you find work.

If you do not follow the jobseeker’s direction and do not have a good reason, you will be sanctioned, see under the heading Jobseeker's Allowance and sanctions. The jobseeker's direction must be reasonable, taking your circumstances into account. You shouldn't be sanctioned if you can show you had a good reason for not following a particular direction, for example if you were taken seriously ill, so that you were unable to do what they asked.

If your Jobseeker's Allowance is stopped because of a jobseeker’s direction, you may be able to claim a hardship payment. This is a reduced amount of the allowance (see under Hardship payments and Jobseeker's Allowance).

For more information about jobseeker’s directions and what is a good reason for refusing to follow one, or for more information about hardship payments, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_benefits_in_work_or_looking_for_work_ew/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#compulsory_steps_to_find_work

thanks for the replies guys. All of which I will take on board.

Just to say the advisor did not tell me to take my qualifications off I did it myself because their demands are getting more and more unreasonable, if the direction said get experience in a sector that is growing I could see the reason in that, but the retail sector is dying and I cannot see it improving in the near future.

I now realise taking off my qualifications is a silly thing to do.

I am already doing voluntary work in a sector that works with young people and therefore find this should be enough and more open in terms of job opportunities.

before I know it I will be spending all my time volunteering and will not have enough time to look for work if they keep issuing directions like that. I am not opposed to giving my time freely, however it has benefit on both sides and retail work is not an area I have ever wanted to work in,it was put down as an area before I got my degree and they said to keep it there.

I have decided I will not do what the direction says and fight my corner and take whatever consequences that come with that.

Never say NO - there is absolutely no point being at risk of being sanctioned and losing your JSA and possibly non-payment of HB and CT due to change in circumstances, etc.

Just say you've been looking at options and awaiting a response. You have to play the game!!

Even if you are doing voluntary work, you have to drop it like a ton of bricks if you're offered an interview, etc ............... the interview takes precedence ..... you just have to play the game!

It's not a case of fighting your own corner, it's about being diplomatic and tactful, jumping through hoops, nodding and smiling -- and then doing everything you can to find yourself a full-time job. Then you won't have to jump through DWP hoops any more!

Don't shoot yourself in the foot ................. you have to eat, you need a roof over your head! Disregard the direction at your own peril.

Charity shops take out of the local community but put nothing back into the local economy! In half a mile in our High Street there are at least 5 charity shops and they outnumber all other retail outlets including butchers! We only support Red Cross, Salvation Army, Air Ambulance and Cancer Research. We do not support Oxfam at all and would rather dump the stuff!

I understand what you are saying and I am fully aware of what will happen. I appreciate you are trying to help and you are giving some really good advice. This advisor is determined to get me into any job, they say it every time I see them.

If I get a sanction so be it I am not prepared to be brow beaten and if it means cutting my nose off to spite my face then I am happy to accept that, my experience tells me that the more you give the more people want and the more unreasonable the demands become.

If sticking up for myself means I will suffer then I will, in my opinion playing the game will only make things worse not better,as sooner or later things will escalate.

That's absolutely your prerogative. After a certain period of time looking for work YOU ARE EXPECTED to accept any job you are qualified to do, regardless of your salary expectation, qualifications, experience or whether or not you want to do it. It's the same for all of us ........... there's a limit to benefit support.

If your pride means cutting off your nose to spite your face, you might as well tell HB and CT you no longer need any further financial support and go find yourself a job. Cos you can't live on thin air.

All CAGgers can do is offer advice and support. If you don't take up, that's completely up to you but don't expect any sympathy or support if it all goes pear-shaped.

Tough love? Yes, definitely.

I have been doing that Impecunious, why do you think I took my qualifications off my CV so I could get any job. I went for an interview on Friday walked to the place which was a 50min walk in the rain as there is no bus there. the job was working as a picker packer, the interviewers asked would I be prepared to work a days trial I said yes, would I be happy on busy periods to go without lunch break I said yes and would I be prepared to work overtime I said yes. What more is expected of me.

I went on Wednesday to an interview for a cleaning job, 70 other applicants and I have previous cleaning experience and I did not get it because my experience was not recent, the week before same again I went to an interview for a cleaning job same response.

I try my best and if my best is not good enough and I am slated for that, then No wonder I have the attitude I have.

I am not asking for anyones sympathy, I am simply stating that I am trying to do my best and my best is being perceived as not good enough and so I am being forced into doing something that has no benefit to me getting a job at all. If you do not stand up and say hold on a minute this is getting beyond a joke now then they will keep on doing what they do.

I am not asking for anyones sympathy, I am simply stating that I am trying to do my best and my best is being perceived as not good enough and so I am being forced into doing something that has no benefit to me getting a job at all. If you do not stand up and say hold on a minute this is getting beyond a joke now then they will keep on doing what they do.

Did they say youre not doing good enough?

I would have thought it was all about recent work experiance to slap on their (your) CV.

tough love or the stick as I like to call it does not work with me. Treat me with the respect that I and everyone else who is looking for work deserves works far better than putting people down and making them feel like nobodies because they cannot get employment. I mean who really wants to live off £71 per week its an absolute pittance.

Yes I have been told it is not good enough. I do not believe in CVs if truth be told some people can present themselves good on paper but in person they are different and vica versa. Everything is too generic there is no flexibility and this is what causes problems. No one is thought of as an individual and therefore spme who would be ideal do not qualify as this, that and the other.

tough love or the stick as I like to call it does not work with me. Treat me with the respect that I and everyone else who is looking for work deserves works far better than putting people down and making them feel like nobodies because they cannot get employment. I mean who really wants to live off £71 per week its an absolute pittance.

Respect has to be earned not given blindly. I don't respect anyone who bites the hand that feeds them - however much you may dislike DWP policies. Don't think for one minute that you're the only person who's trying to go that extra mile when looking for work - we all are!! I attended an interview on Monday - a 4 hour round trip in my little old car that guzzles petrol, at my own expense, because there was a very good chance I might be successful. JSA was never meant to be a living wage - just temporary support whilst you find gainful employment.

No-one actually wants to live off £71.00 a week but it's not actually just £71.00 pw, its £71.00 plus NI contributions, plus housing benefit, plus council tax benefit, free prescriptions, free eye test, free training courses if needs be, the possibility of travel expenses, interview clothes, shoes, haircut, etc. etc. Some people who work full-time don't even earn that equivalent wage! So think yourself lucky ... I certainly do!

With good grace, I'm bowing out of this post ...... there's none so blind as those who cannot see.

Impecunious!:-)

ok Impecunious you have your opinions and I have mine. We could argue for all eternity about what you think is right and about what I think is right. You carry on doing what is best for you and I will do the same.

I wish you luck in your quest for work and I thank you for your input.

What is good for one person may be not be good for another and I believe we must all be understanding of how each person feels. Some see other things that some do not. \if we do not see things how others do does that mean they are different from us? I think not.

Respect has to be earned not given blindly. I don't respect anyone who bites the hand that feeds them - however much you may dislike DWP policies. Don't think for one minute that you're the only person who's trying to go that extra mile when looking for work - we all are!! I attended an interview on Monday - a 4 hour round trip in my little old car that guzzles petrol, at my own expense, because there was a very good chance I might be successful. JSA was never meant to be a living wage - just temporary support whilst you find gainful employment.

No-one actually wants to live off £71.00 a week but it's not actually just £71.00 pw, its £71.00 plus NI contributions, plus housing benefit, plus council tax benefit, free prescriptions, free eye test, free training courses if needs be, the possibility of travel expenses, interview clothes, shoes, haircut, etc. etc. Some people who work full-time don't even earn that equivalent wage! So think yourself lucky ... I certainly do!

With good grace, I'm bowing out of this post ...... there's none so blind as those who cannot see.

Impecunious!:-)

How are you meant to earn respect when you cannot get a job.

I also would question how can anyone keep their respect when jumping through the hoops and often in a very demeaning manner - to keep on the right side of claiming benefits.

You sort of make it sound as if we should bow down and kiss the ground for the little help we get.

Most people who claim benefits are genuine people, who want to work - they just wanted to be treated with respect - and that cuts both ways surely.