mandation to volunterr for a charity shop

oblivious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I have been mandated by my personal advisor to volunteer for a charity shop. To gain experience in retail, however I find this a rather backwards way of thinking. The retail industry is dying and big chains are closing down all the time and see very little that I will gain from this.

I already do voluntary work in a different area.

Can I be mandated to do this or can I refuse to do it.

I have changed my CV removing my degree to give me the best chance of getting a job and this has started to result in getting regular interviews in areas that I have more experience in and that are not in the retail industry as since xmas I have seen very few retail jobs advertised.

I would rather use my time doing something more productive than gaining experience in an area that is failing.

Can anyone advise on what the rules are surrounding mandation to voluntary work please.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, if you're already volunteering, why would any W2W provider mandate you to work in a charity shop? Just ask your current "employer" to increase your voluntary hours a bit! Most charity shops don't even have a working till and the "staff" - mainly real volunteers themselves have very little real training or experience - for them, its usually just a few hours commitment a week cos its sociable and what people of a certain age do! (Please don't gang up on me if your charity shop is filled with young volunteers.) How could this possibly be of benefit to you? I've commented on this form of "volunteering" in many of my posts.

As for removing your degree qualification from your CV, complete NO NO - even if you have started to get regular interviews. Under-selling yourself is as great an omission as over-gilding the lily! I certainly won't be removing any academic qualifications or experience from my CV. In fact, failing to complete a CV properly could be used as an excuse for instant dismissal. I worked too damn hard for my degree and I'm still paying back a £15,000 student loan. Any future employer will know you have a degree once you ask them to deduct student loan repayment from your gross salary (assuming of course you still have an outstanding student loan.) I wouldn't "dumb down" for anyone!

The only paid employment I'm currently applying for are within the third sector where I have worked quite happily for many years and, although, I also do consultancy voluntary work for other charitable organisations, I abhor any charitable organisations who still support W2W forced labour.

Impecunious! :-)

Thanks for the reply Impecunious. I am not on the work programme it is my job centre advisor that did it.

I know what you are saying about removing qualifications, I actually feel the same I worked hard for my degree, but I am sick of signing on. I just want a job and I am prepared to do any job until things pick up.

I still have all my loans outstanding as I only graduated last year.

I have a casual job also but that is for certain months of the year and I have had no work since January.

The job centre are making me depressed and I just want to sign off.

I do not want to to voluntary work in a charity shop as I know a few people that have done and no offense but some of them make you work like a dog.

All I want is to be left alone to let me get on with it instead of putting obstacles in my way.

All the time they trying to make me jump through hoops that have no benefit to me or my job searching or my employability.

If I do not do it, I will get sanctioned it says on the letter they gave me.

I am not against volunteering in a charity shop but it will be a waste of time. The hours I spend volunteering I could spend applying for jobs and at least getting better experienced with filling out applications and interview experience.

I just need some advice as to what I can do to successfully argue not doing it.

Thanks for the reply Impecunious. I am not on the work programme it is my job centre advisor that did it.

I know what you are saying about removing qualifications, I actually feel the same I worked hard for my degree, but I am sick of signing on. I just want a job and I am prepared to do any job until things pick up.

I still have all my loans outstanding as I only graduated last year.

I have a casual job also but that is for certain months of the year and I have had no work since January.

The job centre are making me depressed and I just want to sign off.

I do not want to to voluntary work in a charity shop as I know a few people that have done and no offense but some of them make you work like a dog.

All I want is to be left alone to let me get on with it instead of putting obstacles in my way.

All the time they trying to make me jump through hoops that have no benefit to me or my job searching or my employability.

Hey, don't give up!!! I was told when I first started Uni (as a very mature student) that having a degree did not automatically guarantee a job!! I wish they'd told me that BEFORE I committed myself to three years with them!!

You have every reason to be proud of your degree. I certainly am.

How long have been on JSA??

If you're already volunteering, I'm just wondering why they would mandate you to work in a charity shop!

You know, sometimes, it's a lot easier to jump through hoops! :-) You definitely don't want to be sanctioned! How long will the placement be for?

Unfortunately, when you're on benefits - like all of us - what you want to do is immaterial. Before my next appt, I have to decide which other sectors I will be prepared to work in and lower my salary expectations by some £10,000 pa. I could end up as the most credential toilet-cleaner in the country!!!

You have to be prepared to accept any job, doing unsocialable hours at minimum wage if you're qualified to do it!! Not fair but we don't have much choice.

Edited by impecunious

Well I was a mature student too and if I had have known how difficult the jobs market would be 3 years ago I would never have done the degree. I did it because I wanted to be able to earn a decent wage as minimum wage is not enough to live on.

I have been on JSA for 8 months now.

I just think they told me to do it because they are determined to be such a pain I will sign off, which is starting to work on me. I used argue a lot and stick up for myself but I don't have the energy to do it anymore. Only today the person that signed me on was asking questions like my job search was not genuine. I feel like screaming and shouting at them and I am starting to feel anxious when going to sign because they may decide I am a liar and I will have to go through all the rigmarole of sending evidence off only to be proved I am not but in the mean time have nothing to live on.

There is no placement it says I have ask charity shops for a volunteer position to gain experience to enable me to gain a paid position.

It also told me to register to do-it.org which I have already been registered to since before I started my degree and I have already told them that previosly!

OK -- it doesn't actually have to be a charity shop!! Charities are screaming out for real volunteers where you can gain experienced and help out at the same time. I took on lots of volunteers to do prospect research, intelligence gathering, database management, social media networking and all things admin. That way you get real experience and gain new skills.

What is your degree?

I might be able to offer some advice and signpost you to internships

I have just looked at the letter and it is a job seekers direction not a mandation. I have had 3 interviews over the last two weeks and was not successful in any of them, so I am not feeling as upbeat as I would normally, but over the last 8 months I can feel myself getting more and more anxious when I am due to sign on.

I have suffered depression in the past. Tablets do not really work for me and I have learnt how to keep it at low levels and under some sort of control but I do find that when pressure gets put on me especially when I am trying my best my depression levels rise and this is what is happening more lately at the job centre.

OK -- charities would love you!! Can't really post links here - but if you look at Third Sector - you'll find lots of vacancies (listed by regional area/discipline) : some agency but also lots of applications direct to each charity. Pay is comparable to private sector in many cases. Internships are usually advertised here too. Another good source is Yahoo Groups - Trusts and Foundations Forum --- each charity posts their vacancies for free.

When you go to the Knob (Job) Centre, it's NOT real life - it's acting! Protect yourself by taking on another personna -- and nod and smile a lot. Never commit to anything, but say you'll go home and research it more fully and definitely consider it. Don't let them get to you .................... I have a lovely, creative job search activity record just for the Job Centre ... that way they stay off my case and I can use my time more effectively looking for the kind of work I want to do.

It's all a game but you have to know the rules ....... empower yourself and stay in control.

Edited by impecunious

Hello all

I have been mandated by my personal advisor to volunteer for a charity shop.

Which charity shop would that be then?

Also why did you remove your degree from your cv? You worked hard for that and could get a higher paid job maybe.

thanks Impecunious I will look into those suggestions you have made.

Dyfed I removed my degree because I have been applying for higher paid jobs and not getting anywhere. Because I want to get of signing on I removed the qualifications so I will be considered for lower skilled jobs. What else can I do. Soon I will probably be sent to the workfare and be made to do more pointless things.

Dyfed I removed my degree because I have been applying for higher paid jobs and not getting anywhere. Because I want to get of signing on I removed the qualifications so I will be considered for lower skilled jobs. What else can I do. Soon I will probably be sent to the workfare and be made to do more pointless things.

IMHO messing around with your CV is foolish.

So you take off your degree and heyho, you get a lesser qualified position and then your student loan needs repaying from your earnings. Employer suddenly discover they have an Einstein on their books !!

Or you slip up and mention that you have a degree !!

What does the employer think .. that they have a resourceful employee on their hands or one that is prepared to mislead in order to get where they want to go !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Having a degree on a CV is no bar to employment, you spent three years of your life getting the degree for nothing if you are going to erase all reference to it. The job market is awash with unemployed graduates and plenty of them are going for lesser paid/level entry jobs, in fact I would not be surprised if a degree was now a requirement for burger flipping!

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Its a sad state of affairs and not fair that it has come to you removing your degree but good luck to you and I hope you get what you want soon :-)

If I was in your position I may have done the same thing. If it works for you then good.

It might have been wrong me asking you in the first place so I applogise. What pushed me into asking is that I have heard of pimps telling people to leave qualifications off CVs just to get their client into any old job just as long as the WP provider gets their cash.

Good luck :-)

Working in a Charity shop will do nothing towards learning anything about retail.

At best all you'l be doing is steaming down horrible smelling clothes or sorting them.

I doubt you'll be let anywhere near a till either

Taking a poke at the world

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

thanks for the replies guys.

The way I see it I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I completely agree with you citizenb but I don't know really what else to do. I am feeling a little more upbeat today and will take on board your comments.

dyfed sorry if I came across a little abrupt, you were not wrong to ask at all, its nice to know people are on your side and have some understanding of how difficult it is trying to find employment.

I agree with you validation those that I know who have done did exactly that and for charities to use people like that who are giving their time freely is in my opinion wrong.

But hey ho I suppose I will have to do what they say as I don't want a sanction.

I guess I will have to do what they say.

there is no specific charity. All the direction says is find a volunteer position in a charity shop.

As I've posted before ...... find a small local charity and volunteer -- there is NOTHING to stop you and it would offer you so much more. With your qualifications, you may even be able to offer them invaluable skills that they can't afford to buy in! You don't have to be stuck in a shop if that's so repugnant to you.

if you're asked at your next visit to sign on if you've secured a voluntary position in a charity shop, you can just advise them that you are actively offering your services and await feedback. You have to play the game ..... it will give you breathing space to sort something out.

IMHO, it's a positive offering your time, talents and effort to help others who are much more vulnerable than you are .... in return, you will improve your confidence, boost your self-esteem, give you some insight into a potential new career, learn new skills, experience working in a new environment, meet lots of interesting people and you'll be contributing enormously to the needs of others. How can that ever be perceived as a negative? Why would you not want to do that?

Perhaps instead of finding ways NOT to volunteer, use that energy to find a cause you empathise with and support them.

Edited by impecunious

I am working on that Impecunious.

Brilliant!! Sorry if you think I'm hassling you but I think you need a boost, a little hand-holding .... I know it's a bummer having to jump through all these hoops at the Knob (Job) Centre but we all have to do it. I hate it too but I "manage" it .... I love my voluntary work and if it leads to an offer of permanent work, I would bite their hands off!

It's difficult staying positive but it's the only way we will all survive this period of temporary unemployment. Being unemployed is about more than just being "jobless".

Good luck to you.

I think it is very wrong of the Advisors to suggest you even consider removing your qualifications from your CV - it is in fact inviting you to mislead employers. Ask them if they will put in writing that they are asking you to do this, under threat of sanctions if you dont !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D