Jump to content

Student loan company took too long to process application - university demanding fees after slc declined application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



My partner was offered a place on a degree course as a mature student and made an application to the Student Loan Company. In spite of making the application long in advance, they lost his information asked for him to resend the info. He made a number of calls to enquire about how it was progressing and they made a number of excuses from not being able to find paperwork to a backlog of work slowing applications down. As a result my partner started on his course and was there around five weeks when he received a letter from the SLC saying he was not entitled to anything as he had received financing twenty years earlier. As a result he had to withdraw from the course and the university is doggedly chasing him for fees.


He is unable to pay anything as he receives no income whatsoever as I am supporting us both on my part time earnings while he looks for work. He is not eligable for JSA. This has been explained to the University and although they are sympathetic they are still pushing for payment. Surely the fault lies with the SLC losing the paperwork and the time they took processing. Where does he stand legally as he has no assetts whatsoever.


Any advice would be appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think the fault lies with SLC it was up to your partner to check if his course fees would be paid before accepting the place


Thanks but I was hoping for some constructive advice re his financial standing etc. Hopefully someone else will respond to my query

Link to post
Share on other sites

make an offer of say 1.00 per week tell them thats all he has, this has got nothing to do with the SLC, your partner entered into a contract with the university and they will be wanting their money for at least the first lot of fees, he can ignore them but it might progress to court where they may get a ccj so I would suggest coming to some sort of agreement before then. Are they claiming he owes for the full 3 years or just one term or the first year?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a complaint in writing to SLC, they are on a 6 week turn around target. All their big bosses lost their jobs a few years ago after the late payments fiasco. Write to :



Complaints Resolution Unit

Student Loans Company Limited

100 Bothwell Street


G2 7JD

scotgal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotsgal has a good suggestion but as your partner still contracted for the course I do think that they may chase for the first years fees so keep the university onside as mich as you can for now. a complaint is one thing but he really shouldnt have agreed to do the course until funding was in place.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...