• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lloyds/SCM claimform - credit card debt *SETTLED BY TOMLIN + PPI RECLAIM**

lindyhop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i would be grateful for any clarification other caggers can provide.

LTSB Gold Service Payment application form circa 1990's.

across the top of the application 'Lloyds Bank Gold Service Payment/Photo Card Application Form'

underneath Credit agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

this is very confusing as part of the document states under 'Security'

'the overdraft facility made available under this agreement is unsecured and shall not be secured or treated as secured by virtue of any mortgage, charge or other security which i/we may have already given (or may in future give) to you.

does this then mean that if there is a dispute that LTSB cannot enforce to change the 'unsecured' to 'secured' via a CCJ ?

then further down it states

'to be considered for a Lloyds Bank Gold Service Payment Card you must sign in the box below'

this implies to me the A4 form is an application form and not an agreement, however in the signature box it refers to

'this is a Credit Agreement regulated by the CCA'

has anyone else come across this? and what is the position.

Thank You

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steampowered for getting back to me.

OK i think i get it? that without a court order they cannot treat any outstanding debt as secured so then they have to take the matter to court to upgrade the unsecured status?

reading up on the threads it would appear that despite any form stating 'application' at the top, some court DJ's may consider the 'application' an agreement if the prescribed terms are met within the application.

But what if any t&cs are not on the same page, or are returned to the bank as part of the original 'application request ie where the application is in leaflet form and t&cs are on the back of what is submitted as an application? no photo copy is given to you and thereafter no seperate t&cs sent if the application is successful and the application is sucessful.

also, i havent seen anything yet on threads about the right to cancelation being part of the 'prescribed terms' and information on the application form about how you go about it. what if your application states something along the lines of 'you have the right to cancel within a certain time, (but no time specified) the details of which will be sent to you by the bank' so no proper cancellation details provided at the time of the application.

surely this is a situation where the application is a 'pre contract' especially if the decision as to whether or not the application was to be accepted was not made until a week or so later, but no agreement then followed for you to agree, sign and return?

im obviously being slow and missing something and would appreciate any clarity you guys can provide.

i have read that the OFT have recently placed sanctions(?) on a couple of banks/BS's because of their eagerness to apply for charging order on debts below £5,000 to try and secure the debt. what if any effect/implications will this have on the other banks/BS and the way they operate in this area?

im querying as i have a personal interest. i do not have the protection of restriction (K) and am worried that if a CO is granted, the CC provider will return to court, and i may be forced to sell my home becasue the CC provider wants the debt paid off more quickly.

at any CO application hearing would it be feasible for me to quote what has happened just recently with the OFT to help argue against the award of a CO and thereby encouraging my CC provider to accept instead installment payments?

lindyhop

Can I ask if you have had a CCJ registered against you for the debt? And are you assuming a no "protection of restriction (K)" as you are the sole owner of the property? A bit more info would help. thanks.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

i have a hearing that is pending, im on state benefits, and a sole owner.

its Lloyds and SMC that are taking the action. i am waiting for a response to my CPR, SARs etc. i have read on hear that lloyds CC had the terms on the back, so i assume if they have something with a signature even if it was an application form its transferable to an agreement as it will be deemed to have mets prescribed terms(?)

i am fretful and wondering if LTSB had a reputation for charging orders or if they were more reasonable, or were

how long is a period of time that the courts consider for a debt (of just under £5,000) to be paid off?

its a bit of a mess

thanks

lindy, I have just found my way here from the charging order thread.

Has this been to court and judgment given in LTSB's favour ?

There may or may not have been anything wrong with the agreement.. however LTSB were notorious for getting other things wrong.. for example the default notice.

Can you let us know a little bit more about what has happened for you to be so worried about losing your home as per the other thread !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Citizen B

no the matter has not yet been to court. a hearing date is pending as i have received the paperwork from Northampton CC.

i have been reading up on here about this type of situation never having gone through it before, and alarmed that my home is at threat because of this.

checked through all letters, but nothing called or headed DN. however a letter referrred to as 'Date of Notice' and page 3 of a statement. is this the same thing?

i cant even find anywhere what a DN is supposed to look like so i can compare it to this 'date of notice' letter which goes on to state

'you may have to pay default sums and interest in relation to the missed or partly made payments.'

the letter is sent from a their collection centre in Hampshire and states that it only relates to the last 2 missed payments, and 'does not take account of any payments received after the date of this notice'

sorry to be so vague

Thanks

Hi Citizen

no, i have not received such a document. i have CP them so will be able to see what they say they have sent. once received i will check against the example given here.

This is very strange indeed.

i am very grateful for you help.

Hi Eggboxy1

its lloyds trying to get a CCJ, which i understand from here is the first stage, followed on very much by the mood of the DJ on the day.

having acknowledged the claim, i assume that i will automatically given the extra days to prepare my defence, for which i still need the missing info from Lloyds.

Thanks

lindy

you mention an overdraft in post #1, is this re a current account o/d/debit card or a credit card?

at what stage are you at with this? what have you done so far? can you type up their particulars of claim, less any identifiables and round up amounts.

a charging order (unless a voluntary one) is an enforcement option after there is a court judgment against.

Edited by Ford

HI Eggboxy1

their action is in connection with a credit card from the 1990's,

i have made a CCA request and am currently waiting for a response. SARs and CPR done and response awaited.

any idea how Northampton are working at the moment? and do you know what kind of rep Lloyds have for applying for charging orders

Thanks again

lindyhop

If a hearing date has been set you need to write to the court to get it rescheduled explaining evidence you require to defend yourself has not been forthcoming. Make sure you notify the court what this evidence is, when you sent for it and that you don't want to waste the courts valuable time by turning up at the hearing and having to explain that Lloyd's have not complied with their legal commitments. (How long have you been waiting by the way?)

My personal experiences would tell me that it's unusual for Lloyd's to chase a debt under £5k but you can't rely on these statistics as my experiences also tell me they usually farm these amounts out to debt collection agencies too? But the whole process is far to random to call so hope for the best but plan for the worst. Which, in this case, is to make sure Lloyd's provide you with a correctly executed CCA agreement which gives them the right to pursue the debt through legal channels. If they can't then the CO is never going to happen so post back here what they provide you with.

Hi Ford

this refers to a credit card.

i have already contacted the court to acknowledge, so am waiting for documentation from Lloyds

in the meantime, is it normal when submitting a SARs request that the credit card company come back to you to request your signature before they provide the information - even thought they have accepted and cashed your postal order for a tenner?

do the 77/78 rules not apply with SARs.

i urgently need the SARs info and have read previously on a thread that there is a way, you can provide your signature through a scanner or something - therefore ensuring that it cannot be lifted and placed on other documents - any idea how i would go about this? or can anyone provide the link on how to do?

Thanks

other points.

according to LTSB the credit card account has been terminated. but i have found a letter dated after the supposed termination date stating that they are changing the terms and conditions of what was the exisiting credit card agreement.

my question. if the account has been terminated how can they then subsequently change the terms and conditions?

also, once an account has been terminated, can the credit card company continue to charge interest to that account

input really appreciated.

a sig is usually required re sar. could do one in a shaded box? or in a box with crosses? s77/78 cca doesn't apply to sars, would need to do that separately under those sections with the 1£ fee.

Edited by Ford

Thanks Ford

will send signature for SARS, but not very IT literate. how on earth do you send a signature within a shaded box or a signature box with crosses.

Still querying whether a credit card company can continue to charge interest, and change terms and conditins following the termination by them of an account.

will try to scan up the letter re changing terms and conditions ( but i think this was a generic letter out bulk mailshot anyway)

contractual interest? their terms usually say whether or not such interest can continue after termination, but usually this interest is stopped anyway once it goes out to collection. certain notices may have been required. any interest re a court claim would need to be correctly pleaded on form. as asked before, what are their particulars of claim?

Edited by Ford

Hi

any caggers out there having to deal with SCM. the address i have been given has not provided a response, even though i have sent correspondence recorded delivery. CPR stuff.

just wondering if there is another address apart from the PO box address in Hove that i can send further communication to.

did try track and trace, but it only confirms that i posted the letter.

HELP!

Hi

any caggers out there having to deal with SCM. the address i have been given has not provided a response, even though i have sent correspondence recorded delivery. CPR stuff.

just wondering if there is another address apart from the PO box address in Hove that i can send further communication to.

did try track and trace, but it only confirms that i posted the letter.

HELP!

SCM are Lloyds

what is the issue please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...