style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I don't know if anyone can advise me here but I thought i'd ask the question anyway.

My daughter is due to move out of her rented accommodation tomorrow and the landlord came round on Friday evening to say he wanted to do an inventory before she moves out and after she has moved out. This is the same landlord who said at the beginning of her tenancy that he would give her a few days to settle in and would come around to do the inventory with them. They even approached the Estate Agent who is supposed to be managing the property but to no avail.

He also says that he wants the carpet professionally cleaned. Honestly, if you could have seen it when they first moved in it was dreadful. It also had to be reported several times to get a working smoke alarm fitted.

I have since approached the previous tenant who stated she did not have the carpet professionally cleaned when she vacated the property.

Is the landlord just being funny or is he going to try to withhold her deposit money?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

It is usually standard practice for the carpets to be professionally cleaned when you move out.....

However without an inventory on move in, the LL would have a very hard job to withhold any deposit once move out has occurred if possible, and if LL insists then make sure that everything is noted and that she takes photo's, after all there is not going to be much change in a few days is there?

Just a point.... was the deposit protected? If so the day she moves out tell her to claim her deposit back in full from the scheme.

I would advise that no inventory is allowed until she has moved out.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

An inspection before she moves out may be worthwhile as she can be present. It would allow her to do some remedial work identified. Depends on how much of her contents remain for meaningful inspection of walls hidden by furniture etc. She has no right to attend or re-enter after vacating or may not be able to attend at due time.

What was wrong with the smoke alarm? If not wired to the mains replacement batteries are Ts resp, and unless HMO then smoke alarm not a LL resp.

Thank you everybody for your advice. In answer to your question, Mariner51, the smoke alarm is wired to the mains. Thanks Honeybee for moving me to the right forum. Thanks also to TheCarpet Cleaners for the advice regarding taking photographs. Also CC, the deposit IS protected so hopefully there will be no problem in having it returned. As a matter of interest if the previous tenant didn't professionally clean the carpet (after living there for a few years!) then presumably the landlord would have got it done, in which case surelyhe would have a receipt seeing as he is a business man. Would my daughter be out of order in asking him to produce this receipt should there be any problems? Thanks again x

Dont think that the previous receipt is really anything to do with your daughter, have the inventory done when she is there as suggested and get the carpets cleaned it is std practise to do so

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.