Non payment of train fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I got the train from an unmanned station and the conductor did not come round whilst on the train to buy a ticket from. When I got off at Manchester Victoria I didn't pass anyone who asked for my ticket so I foolishly didn't purchase a ticket. As I approached the exit of the station I was stopped by a revenues officer and asked for my ticket. He took my details but didn't caution me and said I should expect a letter in the post. I truely regret not seeking out someone to get a ticket from. What can I expect to happen to me? What will the letter say? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I expect the forum regulars will be along later with more advice for you. I think you will receive a letter asking for your version of what happened because you couldn't produce a valid ticket when asked.

You may realise now that it is down to you to look for someone on the train to buy a ticket from. Which station did you get on at please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello, I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I got the train from an unmanned station and the conductor did not come round whilst on the train to buy a ticket from. When I got off at Manchester Victoria I didn't pass anyone who asked for my ticket so I foolishly didn't purchase a ticket. As I approached the exit of the station I was stopped by a revenues officer and asked for my ticket. He took my details but didn't caution me and said I should expect a letter in the post. I truely regret not seeking out someone to get a ticket from. What can I expect to happen to me? What will the letter say? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Did he ask "if I hadn't stopped you, would you have paid your fare?", and if so what did you reply?.

Even if he didn't ask that, what is the answer to the same "if he hadn't stopped you, were you planning on paying your fare"?.

These are not 'academic' questions, nor meant to berate you : you've already said you wish you'd bought a ticket.

However, I'm not sure you'll get accurate advice until we've got the details of what happened on which to base that advice .....

Edited by BazzaS

Did he ask "if I hadn't stopped you, would you have paid your fare?", and if so what did you reply?.

Even if he didn't ask that, what is the answer to the same "if he hadn't stopped you, were you planning on paying your fare"?.

These are not 'academic' questions, nor meant to berate you : you've already said you wish you'd bought a ticket.

However, I'm not sure you'll get accurate advice until we've got the details of what happened on which to base that advice .....

No he didn't ask those questions. I got the train intending to pay but as I wasn't asked for my ticket by anyone I wouldn't have paid the fare. I realise it was stupid but I just got caught up in the moment and now that I will have to face the consequences.

What time of day was this journey and on what day did you travel?

Walkden has a booking office

It was a Saturday afternoon when Walkden ticket office is closed. It has a ticket machine but it doesn't accept cash.