M42 speeding - sign error

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a bit on the fence over "small" discrepancies like this as seeing such a sign I don't think I would have had any doubt that a 60mph limit was in force. However, the reason for having the rules on how signs should be displayed is to ensure that no driver anywhere in the country misunderstands a sign because it may look different to his home area. Where would you draw the line if "variations" are allowed? Perhaps someone thinks it would look pretty using an orange font; would that still count? Maybe someone else thinks it would be more eye-catching to be flashing; would that still count? etc etc

I have previously had a letter from the police regarding the display of my number plate not being completely as required by law. It was correctly displayed as black letters on white background using the correct font but with a slight error on the spacing between the 2 blocks of characters. I was threatened with prosecution if I did not have it amended. Now if it is OK for me to be threatened with prosecution for not being absolutely in line with the letter of the law regarding font size/spacing, irrelevant of the fact that the plate was totally readable and fully conveyed the lettering of my registration, then I think it has to be absolutely correct that road signs are subject to the same rigourous accuracy.

it does raise questions about the need for variable speed restrictions on the open road- if you can drive at 70 then there isnt congestion so the lower limits not needed. Funny how people are allowed to avoid penalty points by going on courses that make money for the enforcement agencies. One could quite erroneously conclude that in some places speed restrictions are there to make money rether than for operational or control reasons.