JSA for over 60s

impecunious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm really hoping that I'm not still on JSA when I reach my 60th birthday but ..... what happens if you're still unemployed at 60 and female? Are we still considered employable?? Or do we get parked??

Before new limits were set, I'd be retiring at the end of this year and eligible for a state pension. Think I missed the cut-off date by just a few months.

Would be really interested if anyone has any thoughts!

Impecunious! :-D

Interesting question, but hasn't the age for retirement now got to 66? if so then I will be there in another 10yrs. Where do they park people at 60?

I have no idea about any of it...the whole benefits system seems to get more confusing, or I am just getting more confused by life.

Interesting question, but hasn't the age for retirement now got to 66? if so then I will be there in another 10yrs. Where do they park people at 60?

Yes, I just missed the cut-off date by months -- my new retirement age is now 66 or thereabouts.

I'll just have to wear my "sensible" peach cardigans, pleated polyester skirts and flat brown leather lace-up shoes to interviews, tell them I have to visit the loo regularly during the day due to incontinence, tell them to speak up cos I don't hear to well, have to keep an eye on my colesterol levels, have special aids provided to support my wrists/hands when I type (that's if I can actually see the monitor because my eyes are failing), help me when my memory fails and wake me up when I have my afternoon "nanna! nap! And, turn a blind eye when I'd rather crochet than type!

Apart from that, I'm raring to go get that next job! :-D

Impecunious! :-D

Think you get parked at the nearest bus stop to see if you can get anywhere to find work ....oh remember now the free bus pass has been stopped till 62 around or end ...maybe you will just have to trawl the job sites or ask if the DWP have any vacancies for the 60 & overs ....lol it`s a joke upping the retirement age when there are all the young wanting jobs ...hope you find out what they do and let us know .

Good luck

:lol:

You think I'm joking??

Course I am!! BUT, hey! Can't stay looking young and vibrant and sexy forever!!! Damn it!! Age will finally take its toll -- so, until then, I'm making the most of it - and getting my new little black dress and heels out for my interview on Monday!! :-D

Impecunious!! :-D

Here are some details of pension entitlements fromthe DWP

For men born December 1953 onwards the state pensionage is now 66

Forfemales born 1951 – state pension age is now 60

Forfemales born 1952 – state pension age is now 61

Forfemales born 1953 – state pension age is now 62

Forfemales born 1954 - state pension age is now 65

Forfemales born 1955 – state pension age is now 66

State pension age is due to rise again in 2017 to 67

I believe that oneis not now eligible for pension credits or the bus pass until one reaches statepension age.

The maximum state pension for a single person is £107.45 a week in the 2012/13 tax year and £110.15 fromApril 2013.

Married couples andcivil partners receive a joint pension worth up to £171.85 a week (£176.15 fromApril 2013) even if only one of them qualifies for the full basic statepension.

How much you getdepends on how many years of national insurance contributions you have madeover your working lifetime. To qualify for the full amount you need to havemade 30 years' contributions.

In 2003 thegovernment introduced a means-tested benefit called pension credits to combatpensioner poverty.

This means thatpensioners are guaranteed a minimum weekly income of £142.70 for singlepensioners (rising to £145.40 from April 2013) and £217.90 for couples (risingto £222.05 in April 2013).

If total pensionerincome is below the minimum weekly income figures for any reason then it israised to those figures by pension credits, irrespective of national insurance contributions.

I believe that oneis not now eligible for pension credits or the bus pass until one reaches statepension age.

The maximum state pension for a single person is £107.45 a week in the 2012/13 tax year and £110.15 fromApril 2013.

Married couples andcivil partners receive a joint pension worth up to £171.85 a week (£176.15 fromApril 2013) even if only one of them qualifies for the full basic statepension.

How much you getdepends on how many years of national insurance contributions you have madeover your working lifetime. To qualify for the full amount you need to havemade 30 years' contributions.

In 2003 thegovernment introduced a means-tested benefit called pension credits to combatpensioner poverty.

This means thatpensioners are guaranteed a minimum weekly income of £142.70 for singlepensioners (rising to £145.40 from April 2013) and £217.90 for couples (risingto £222.05 in April 2013).

If total pensionerincome is below the minimum weekly income figures for any reason then it israised to those figures by pension credits, irrespective of national insurance contributions.

Thank you for that lovely piece of information. I was born 53 -- so looks like 62 for my state pension entitlement. I'm sure I was told in writing that I my retirement age was just shy of my 66th birthday. Mind you, given the choice, I'd be quite happy working full-time untiil I drop!

Impecunious! :-)

66 for me, so another 11 years to go.

I've got an interview on Tuesday and another one for the same organistion at the end of the month, so hopefully will get one of the jobs! I've got the qualifications and experience to do the job so hope they choose me.

I was born in 54 but have had a letter saying I won't get my pension till I'm 66 !

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

66 for me, so another 11 years to go.

I've got an interview on Tuesday and another one for the same organistion at the end of the month, so hopefully will get one of the jobs! I've got the qualifications and experience to do the job so hope they choose me.

OOOh, Good Luck!!! I have an interview too --- mine's on Monday morning --- GREAT job!! Choose me! Choose Me!!

I was born in 54 but have had a letter saying I won't get my pension till I'm 66 !

Sounds like the letter I received a couple of years ago Ell-enn ..... so, now I'm confused.

I reached 60 in December 2010, but didn't formally reach retirement age until September 2011. I had been on JSA. Although I really still wanted to work it was financially better for me to retire than to be on JSA, as my pension is twice as much as JSA. I think I'm right in saying that they told me I could no longer receive JSA as I'd reached retirement age, but I may have remembered incorrectly. I'm still looking for work but it's much better for me to do this as a retired person. I don't hold out much hope of finding work though, but I keep sending off those applications.....

When you next attend the JCP ask them to give you your pension date, it is on the LMS screen!

When you reach 60 nothing magical happens I'm afraid, your claim continues as normal until you either find work or claim pension credit/state pension.

Not even going to depreress myself further today by looking at when I can retire :(

I am 61 in may due to get my state pension next year in july I was working until december last year The hours I worked fitted in with looking after my grandson for 2 and a half days so my daughter could go back to work as her and her husband are on a low wage I receive JSA but have been told that I must be available for full time work so if I get a job my daughter will have to give up hers I have worked since I left school age 15 except when I had my children and when they were young I lost my husband 2yrs ago and caring for my grandson has given me a purpose to carry on but I have been told I must apply for 2 jobs a week (where are these jobs ?) and go on the internet search for jobs 5days a week or they will stop my JSA I have applied for jobs I was told by jobseekers not to say my age which is ridiculous and have been offered a back to work course which states this is a start up course for recovering alcohol and drug takers to get them back to work Nice!!!

Totally fed up with it I also have an extra bedroom but have been told I will only lose some housing benefit until I am 61 and a half .

Im new to this site sorry if I sound a pain x

I think the above may be incorrect. My wife was born in April 1952 and her pension age is 62 not 61. Possibly find most are out by one year depending when year you are born. I used this calculator. see http://www.entitledto.co.uk/calculator/