• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

GE Money, Suspended repossesion hearing. w/c 18th March

Remy3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am hoping that someone can advise me on what to expect at the hearing that I am to attend.

We have arrears of £2600 on our (only) mortgage, which is with GE Money. These have built up over the last few years due to a decrease in availability of work. (Self employed in construction industry).

I have always had a payment arrangement for the arrears. However, because our income is based upon finishing a job or a builder paying us, our pay dates are never consistent. If the mortgage payment is due on the 28th and we get paid on the 30th (And pay the mortgage) the payment arrangement is then considered broken. Even though our statement shows that a payment has been made each calender month or appox every 6 weeks.

The payment plans have always been for an additional £170 per month, which I argued was too much for us. The main amount of arrears related to non payment of the mortgage over 3 months in winter when there was no work due to a cancelled job plus emergency repairs to our roof that was badly leaking due to old age.

GE Money are saying that we have broken 27 payment arrangements with them! They still have had a regular payment. They were going for possession but again have agreed to a payment plan of normal payment £648.00 plus £50.00 for arrears, an amount that we can manage just from my wage. So now they are going for suspended possession.

Apart from a letter from the court and solicitors confirming the date. (Postponed once already as the solicitors had not had time to do the paperwork). I have had no other paperwork.

Should I have received paperwork outlining the solicitors/GE money's argument? What do I need to prepare? Can I stop this?

I sought advice from a solicitors but am not entitled to legal aid.

Can someone help me please?

I may not be money rich, but I'm rich in other ways! I like to 'pay it forward'. One good turn triggers another!

Hi there, did you receive an N11M defence form with the court papers? have you completed it and returned it to the court yet?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hello, thank you for responding. I have received nothing from the court or the solicitors apart from a single letter about the date of the hearing. Thank you

I may not be money rich, but I'm rich in other ways! I like to 'pay it forward'. One good turn triggers another!

I thought you said you had a letter from the court ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I thought you said you had a letter from the court ?

Hi, Yes I have only had one letter, It was a single letter only advising of the date of the hearing, Nothing else was with it.

Has there been a previous hearing which was adjourned ?

Yes, it was adjourned the day before because the solicitors hadn't been able to do any work on the case. Again apart from letters confirming the initial date and a letter adjourning it there was nothing else. Nothing of anytype of defence, solicitors arguements or facts on the case, just standard appointment type letters from the court. Thanks

Hi , you will need to get a defence statement to the court asap - I can help you with that. You will also need to affix a budget sheet to your statement - I have affixed the one we normally use in these cases (it calculates automatically as you enter the figures)

Do you have a printer at home?

I do have a printer, Thank you for your time with this. I will fill in the income/expenditure sheet.

Thanks

Income sheet done, I can email it to you or put it in a private PM.

Hi, you can email it to me at [email protected] (there is no space between the c & o - the site just shows it like that for some unknown reason)

Hi, got the budget sheet - I have replied to your email

Hi, can you answer the following please:

Is the mortgage in joint names?

How long is left to run on the mortgage?

Do you have a statement showing payments you have made over the last year or so?

Have you got proof of the other property being for sale? estate agent contract, newspaper advert etc?

Hi, can you answer the following please:

Is the mortgage in joint names? Yes

How long is left to run on the mortgage? 13 years and 3 months

Do you have a statement showing payments you have made over the last year or so? Yes.

Have you got proof of the other property being for sale? estate agent contract, newspaper advert etc? yes we have a contract from the estate agent.

Excellent - I'll draft up a defence statement for you tomorrow - when would you be able to take it into the court ?

Excellent - I'll draft up a defence statement for you tomorrow - when would you be able to take it into the court ?

Monday, is the soonest I can deliver it by hand. Or can it be next day signed for delivery?

Best to deliver it by hand - Monday will be fine. I'll get the statement to you sometime today if I don't get too busy at work - otherwise it will be tonight.

In the meantime can you take photocopies of the proof of payments made over the last year or so and also of the estate agent's contract - you will need to affix them to the defence statement along with the budget sheet.

How much are you proposing to pay towards the arrears until the other property is sold?

When did you make the last payment?

When can you make next payment?

Thanks, the answers are below,

How much are you proposing to pay towards the arrears until the other property is sold? It will be £50 per month

When did you make the last payment? It was 27th feb

When can you make next payment? 27th march

OK, will get the statement to you as soon as I can

How much was the paymetn on 27th Feb? i.e. how much towards the arrears ?

How much was the paymetn on 27th Feb? i.e. how much towards the arrears ? Normal £648 plus £50 towards the arrears , thank you

Affixed is the statement to take to court – you need to fill in the information where there are XXX's at the top of the statement (the information will be on the letter from court) - read it through carefully to make sure all the info is correct and to fill in the name where there are other XXX's in the statement. When you print it out the printer needs to be set for A4 paper (not Letter size) so it all fits on one page.

Photocopy the statement showing payments and write the Claim Number on the top left hand corner then on the top right hand corner write Appendix 1. Do the same on the copy of the estate agent contract (it will be Appendix 2) and also the budget sheet will be Appendix 3.

Now assemble as follows:

Statement – signed

Appendix 1 – list of payments

Appendix 2 – Estate agent contract

Appendix 3 – Budget sheet

This forms the pack to take to court. Make sure it is stapled securely together. Before handing in to court take a copy of it all for yourself to refer to in the hearing. Don't put it in a post box at the court – hand it over the counter (the court staff are usually very nice, so don't worry about doing that). Also, ask the court staff if there are any duty legal advisers at court on the day of your hearing – they can accompany you into the hearing and support your case.

Thank you very much for your help. I will take the pack on Monday and keep you informed.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to the court. Be warned, it took at least 20 minutes to queue to get through security. I was still early though. I was not offered a duty solicitor and there was none available. I met the solicitor who was representing the mortgage company who introduced her self and asked me if I had any question.

We went in after waiting over 40 minutes over the allocated time. I was only second hearing of the day and the other hearing had finished way before our allocated time.

Many people on here say that the judges are sympathetic to us, taking into account our nerves. Well, no. This one didn't even look down at me. (He was sat on a level higher in a small typical court room, The only other person was the other solicitor and we were instructed to sit three rows back in another wise empty room.) He NEVER even looked up. He never made eye contact or asked me anything. He didn't check that I understood or asked me if I had anything to say. He just dispensed the judgement for a suspended possession order and we left. Two minutes or less I reckon. The paper work I took just stayed in the file. I assumed he had read the copy that I took to the court the week before but I never saw any evidence of this.

Don't get me wrong. I never expected an easy ride but he was so rude on a basic human level and never even acknowledged my presence.

So there the judgement stand, Suspended possession with normal monthly payments plus £50.

Thank you Ell-enn for your help, You and you alone made me feel as if I was supported and that someone cared enough to help me, even acknowledge me, something that a supposed highly respected member of society couldn't afford me the manners of.

You should be proud and I really hope that you are recognised for the help that you give.

I will 'pay it forward' with my own skills to someone who needs help

Thank you again.

That's great news Remy - well done :) It sounds as if you were just unlucky with the judge - I'm sure he would have read your statement before the hearing and that is why he ordered a suspended possession so quickly.

I trust you can relax in your home now and that everything goes well for you from now on.

I hope you stay around on the forum - there is so much more you can learn and of course help support people in the same situation as you have just been in :)