Help with deductions from benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Asking for a friend who was previously on IB and has failed the ESA medical, currently appealing.

Whilst he was on IB his water rates were deducted from his money at £12.00 a week. some for arrears, some for current bill.

He is now on the assessment rate of £71 ish a week, and they have still deducted the £12.00. This is leaving him about £8 a day to live on.

Can we do anything about getting this amount lowered whilst his income is reduced?

Thanks for your help.

So they leave £59 pw to live on?

Obvious hardship so contest on that.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks Brigadier. How do we go about that, do we write to Wessex Water and copy the DWP? Or is there a special procedure to follow?

Yes, that's right, Lee now has £59 a week to live on, he has at least three epileptic fits each day, and even if he only gets the "vacant" episodes he still wets himself each time (dignity has gone out the window since this happened I'm afraid). This now means he can't wash his few bits of clothing every evening because he has to choose between groceries inc soap powder, electric OR gas. If he has a major fit in the night he now won,t call anyone to help as he would have done in the past as he feels bad as he cannot pay them anything towards petrol (he knows everyone is struggling).

I think because it is not all arrears (think then the maximum they can take is £5) but includes their current bill too, they may not be successful in getting it lowered. They need to find out how much of that payment is arrears and how much is for the current bill. People are meant to pay for their bills out of their benefits. People under 25 years old get £56.25 JSA a week out of which they have to pay their bills too so the Government obviously believes that to be possible (or perhaps they realise it isn't?). From April they will also have to pay a contribution towards their council tax which can be considerable too.

Of course, it's not possible so they will go cold/hungry and the Government doesn't care.

Well, Lee will not go cold and hungry, because we won't allow that to happen. But it shouldn't be like this should it? And not everyone has friends like that do they?

Does anyone know how we start the ball rolling for the arrears side of things and trying to get it reduced even if it is only a pouind or two?

Going to have a go at a DLA application later this week - oh joy!

I rang my dwp office and requested this payment arrangement stops, and they did stop it, I then realised I was actually in credit due to the water company cockin up ... did get that sorted and now they say am in arrears again lol but its due to being billed a year in advance and the year hasn't started yet lol ..(april 13 to end of march 14).....anyway I have been able to set up with my bank, something called bill manager, and can pay direct from my account when and how much I can afford, and the water company have accepted that.

I didn't know nor did the dwp that I wasn't in arrears when I asked for the payments to stop, they just did it. Wondering if best to stop the payments and maybe set up a standing order for less or something? just thoughts.

Yes DWP and Wessex Water Lee is a very vunerable person indeed and imo he or a suitable representative should seek to find if further benefits are payable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Stress levels rising. Sick note or whatever it is called runs out Friday, Lee had a letter to tell him if another is not presented by then benefits will stop.

Just tried to get an appt with his GP which has never been a problem before. This time the receptionist quizzed him and when he told her what was wanted she refused him an appt "because nothing can be done until after that note has expired!" He explained that this would stop his very limited income, but she couldn;t care less.

I've just told him to ring, book an appt, and to refuse to tell the receptionist why he needs to see his GP.

Lee should ask to speak to the practice manager and /or a doctor.

All sorted, I hope, I spoke to the receptionist and now she understands how things are. GP appt in the morning.

I didn;t know about any reduction in the water rates for people with disabilities - any more info on that or a pointer? Many thanks to you - every little helps!

All sorted, I hope, I spoke to the receptionist and now she understands how things are. GP appt in the morning.

I didn;t know about any reduction in the water rates for people with disabilities - any more info on that or a pointer? Many thanks to you - every little helps!

Hi there

My friend has got a skin condition called psoriasis anyone managing their skin condition with water can be deemed as needing help, if your son has any skin conditions that needs attending each day you could get a deduction from his water bill each yesr?

• Haha 1

Yes thay do say you need a water meter but not always the case, my friend didn't need to have one and just had a deduction from the yearly bill.

Worth just telling them that you don't want to be put on a meter

Well, Lee will not go cold and hungry, because we won't allow that to happen. But it shouldn't be like this should it? And not everyone has friends like that do they?

Does anyone know how we start the ball rolling for the arrears side of things and trying to get it reduced even if it is only a pouind or two?

Going to have a go at a DLA application later this week - oh joy!

Can you claim bankruptcy and get all debts written off?

Just a thought.

I hope all goes well and am disgusted that this draconian britain we live in is heading towards total surfdom.

Havent these basterrds done enough to us?

Thank you everyone who has offered help and advice, I am looking into it all, and will keep the thread updated as we go, so we can help others.

I had to stay from it today, as it really made me angry and I have to watch my own marbles. They've stopped rattling round in my head now, so straight back on it tomorrow.

I've seen Lee today and he knows about this thread. He says I should tell you one of the reasons he failed his medical - when he was about 14 his parents made a decision not to have an implant inserted into his head. It actually states this as one of the reasons he has failed his medical - because he refused to have the implant. OMG. I can;t wait to get cracking on this appeal , and i shall be contacting all the epilepsy charities with a copy of what ATOS have said.

Was this an intercranial shunt? he would certainly not been left to make this decsion for himself I think.

Yes thats the one. His parents weren't convinced it would work, and young Lee was terrified. He's 37 now and this is the first time since 14 yrs of age its ever been mentioned to him! He would still be terrified, and it probably wouldn't work - his GP isn't keen on it for him. It can cause other problems, and Lee would like to hang on to what bits of his brain actually do work correctly thank you. And anyway, why the devil should he have his head opened up just to suit ATOS?

At his age now none. |

From what has come to light now did Lee have Hydrocephalus from an early age?

I am shocked that ATOS think it's ok to stop his benefits because a decision was made years ago for him to not have an operation. I think I said before that in general, no-one knows whether this operation would work. There are various operations for epilepsy, for some, it does nothing, they get worse and for others, it works and they're seizure free and able to go to work and drive.

How can it be right that someone is told to either have surgery (for which there might be a waiting list) or they lose their benefits? Yes, people should try therapies to help them; but not major surgery.

My dad is lucky that the medication he's on, means he's been seizure free since.

I seem to remember that if you're under 16, your parents have to sign the consent form. Well, that was the case when I had minor spinal surgery at the end of 2004.

• 1 month later...

A very quick update - we were unable to get the DM to overturn the decision that Lee is fit for work so that is going to full tribunal and i am working on it now.

I applied for DLA for him, and sent the form of registered post so it arrived by 23-4-2013. They sent him a letter yesterday, DLA granted at high rate care and low rate mobility until May 2015. Back dated 6 weeks.

Now we can carry on and get a landline installed and lifeline. So, IDS, Lee is now on more money than he was before you cut his ESA, and I haven't finished yet, because we will win the trubunal and that will cost you even more.

Take heart chaps, don't give up, get even.