• Tweets

• Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Actionfraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
    • It'll be something to the effect of:  "I am in receipt of your letter before claim.  I was awaiting a passenger as a licensed cab driver on the Locton estate who subsequently cancelled the pickup after me waiting a while and will fight this in the small claims court if necessary. Plus I have friends who are experts in contractual law and make it their business to defeat these spurious PPC claims.  So issue the claim form or go forth and multiply, up to you"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

miffedmamma v lloydstsb

nearlyoldwoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i'm just loving this forum, had to keep reading all day as was convinced there must be a catch, but i now thoroughly understand it and cant flippin wait to get all my money back!! (approx £1500 just in last 15 months) anyway has anyone actually received their money back off L TSB? been reading for hours, haven't seen a post saying bank has given money back?it looks like Lloyds TSB are tough, but its great as i now know exactly how they will respond, so i'm not gonna be phased...oh i can't wait...still working out all the charges, every month this year i have spoken to my local branch asking if they can help me with charges as its their charges they make me go over my overdraft in the first place, and they've refused to help. i will sleep very very well tonight, thankyou for all your helpful info

WELCOME , If you look in the litigation section it shows you who has recieved what and from who.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

its ok, have had more time to keep reading back, i see now that folk have had results, anyway, just did a very quick tot up of charges this year and they total (from jan 06) £424.00!! thats just this year, last year was horrendeous too!!

Hiya

Answer is definately yes.

Read all the Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ's )

Take a week to read through all the various threads , even if you are Halifax as opposed to Abbey Nat. etc ( sometimes threads cross over and all info is useful ) from a legal point of view.

Dont Blink:

Sometimes the letters from the bank are :

1. Obnoxious Rude and Dismissive

2. Seem like a final stance

The letters from the Solicitors are worse:

1. Legally obscure

2. Arcane

3. ( To be quite frank absolute C**p )

The point is; stick to your guns dont blink.

My case went through normal procedures DPA, LBA , I issued Court Docs, right at the last minute they acknowledged, two days before auto judgement they entered a defence, the Court Allocation Questionaire arrived, before I sent that off they blinked and paid in full ( no account closure ).

OFT Statement helped a great deal, look specifically at OFT denying that charges are "Core Terms" of your contract. If in doubt personal E Mail me and I will explain in detail, meanwhile issue court docs after due warning and go for it.icon7.gif

all ideas and information exchanged willingly, bounce the ideas around,it helps everyone at the end of the day, good luck to you all and God Bless...LoL Graham & Yvonne

its ok, have had more time to keep reading back, i see now that folk have had results, anyway, just did a very quick tot up of charges this year and they total (from jan 06) £424.00!! thats just this year, last year was horrendeous too!!

Further to my last it was £2915 in my case and they still blinked!

all ideas and information exchanged willingly, bounce the ideas around,it helps everyone at the end of the day, good luck to you all and God Bless...LoL Graham & Yvonne

wow, thanks for the info, after such a busy day, and reading all this info on this forum i was dizzy! still cant believe that i'm gonna get my money back. where do i find OFT doc that you described?

i'm still shocked about all this, you see a couple o weeks ago it hit the press that some guy got his money back from the bank, i thought it was a one off, but still i tracked down the story online and printed out to show my partner, but it didn't give enough detail to think anyone can do it!

and today... ha i'm over my overdraft again (thanks to the bank taking heaps of charges off)...but i'm not gonna lose anymore sleep over it as i'll get it all back.

quick question, we've only been with Lloyds TSB for about 2 years and i think most of statements on line so we can work it out ourselves, or should we just get DPA?

thanks for your help, believe me, i'll def be in touch! ta

yes! i've done it, posted my first letter todat to tsb! only found this site on fri afternoon! thankyou to everyone already cos if there wasn't this forum i'd be none the wiser and none the richer! all the posts are very imformative and at least i now know what to expect...a letter telling me tough no doubt! well, i'm in fighting spirit.and the best thing is, i'm so not worried! i'm sick to death of being terrified by letters from the bank, worrying constantly about keeping things in order only for them to make me go over my overdraft with their outragous charges!i live in very small place where everyone knows everyone, i know all the staff at the bank, and cant wait to see their reactions over the next couple of weeks, i'm 99% sure that the branch manager will try and accost me if i nip in, "for a chat" well after reading other posts, i will not enter into any verbal discussions.aaaah, what a great day, i'll keep you posted.good luck everyone

I endorse Loula's welcome message!

The wonderful thing about this site is the sense of relief and empowerment which it gives you!

For many years, I used to dread the bad news the Postman would bring each day.

Now, I positively look forward to the post, to see what pathetic stalling attempts the banks will try next. Talk about the boot being on the other foot!

We all owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Dave, Bankfodder, Stephen and all the Moderators for the amount of work they continue to put in to make this site a force to be reckoned with, in the face of the Banks' continuing apathy towards the Law and the rights of their own customers.

Once again, Welcome and Good Luck!

Phil

had reply today from david just (14th april)letter as expected, so sorry, keep account in order blah blah, we could take your cards chq book etc off you etc etc, so glad for this site as it was so predicted, anyway already printed off my LBA and will be posted asap (half hour). my partner is so impressed he's gonna take action agains halifax, so i'll send him to that section!

UPDATE 20TH APRIL

received letter today from 'david just' again, basically;

unfortunately he is unable to add anything other than info in first letter that he sent to us, blah blah, refer back to terms and conditions, etc etc, goes on to say that this letter is the banks final response and if i want to take it further i'm to complain to the F.O.S.

so, i'm gonna be busy later filling in my claim! will post when i've completed claim.

• 3 weeks later...

Forum clean up - your claim threads have been merged. Please try to keep all posts about your claim to a single thread only. Thanks :)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks