style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have emailed the council on friday asking for them to take the debt back and would they consider re-entering me into a repayment plan. I stated my personal circumstances and I have made a token payment online so I hope that will better then doing nothing. I havent heard back from the council yet but received a letter in the post this morning from rundles with the same threats I also havent received a response from the bailiff about the text I sent last week after his visit - but then I didnt expect to really - does anyone think it will be worth texting him again to say I have liased with the council and made a token payment? I dont want to phone after the advice Ive been given here but do you think it will be worth letting him know?

Many thanks

Charlotte

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal with the council

No point in contacting the bailiff he will only come back with threats and try to intimidate you to pay him

You do not need to have anything to do with the bailiff

• Confused 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi I have emailed the council on friday asking for them to take the debt back and would they consider re-entering me into a repayment plan. I stated my personal circumstances and I have made a token payment online so I hope that will better then doing nothing. I havent heard back from the council yet but received a letter in the post this morning from rundles with the same threats I also havent received a response from the bailiff about the text I sent last week after his visit - but then I didnt expect to really - does anyone think it will be worth texting him again to say I have liased with the council and made a token payment? I dont want to phone after the advice Ive been given here but do you think it will be worth letting him know?

Many thanks

Charlotte

It may be best to ring the council ask for the council tax enforcement officer emails tend to get lost in the system or sit around somewhere as i think time is vital now and im sure you want to resolve this I wouldent contact the collector it wont make any diffrence now. As you have not been well you should be classed as vulnerable.

It may be best to ring the council ask for the council tax enforcement officer emails tend to get lost in the system or sit around somewhere as i think time is vital now and im sure you want to resolve this I wouldent contact the collector it wont make any diffrence now. As you have not been well you should be classed as vulnerable.

Matt, Not all council's have enforcement officers. You would need to speak with some one from the revenues offices as they hold the records for all accounts that have been passed to the bailiffs. If you ask for the enforcement officer, some council employee's will pass you on to the bailiff company that is dealing with your case and there is no point in that if you are trying to speak with the council.

I am a little concerned at some of your answers, Matt, I understand and appreciate that you are here to pass on information that may have helped you, but please understand that each case can be very different with each council.

Vulnerability can be quite complex, not every one will fit under this criteria.

If you are unsure of something please ask before posting.

seanamarts

Site Team

Hi there just an update about my situation. Yesterday 1 week after emailing the council I received a response from them. They gave me a detailed breakdown of both liability orders what Ive paid and what the remaining balances are both add up to £1,900 roughly. They stated that it was too late for the council to accept an offer of repayment because it had been sent to a bailiff so I had to contact and pay him. I know a lot of advice has been given but Im really not sure what to do next. I cannot afford to pay the full 1,900 all I can do is offer an amount each month to pay of the debt. The council have also told me what I will have to pay for this years council tax so realistically all I can afford to pay off this debt is £30.00 per month Any advice would be welcome - I also have not heard any more from the bailiff after texting him a week ago to say I was going direct though the council.

Hi well the e.mail is basically an entire statement of when I moved here to now ( 7 years worth ) It includes every payment ive made shows when I was exempt ( when I was at University ) on benefits etc and then all the liability orders for when I did become accountable for paying the council tax - all it really shows is what Ive described above shows the last payment I made 4th march 2013 and then the final balance - hope that makes sense - Charlotte by the way my council is Medway Council

Well as far as this years council tax is concerned the email said my first payment for this years council tax will be on 28th April 2013. I paid £25.00 on the 4th March 2013 towards the outstanding council tax that the bailiff is involved with on the councils automated system.

That £25.00 was towards 1 of the liability orders the other has never been reduced all the payments I have made the council have used towards only 1 and not the other which I was unaware of until I saw the statement I thought they would of split the payments I made to reduce the balances on both? But they have not

Ok a few questions,

Has a bailiff been in and done a levy.

Who were you paying the £50. per month too.

Have you had your income assessed to see if you are eligible for housing benefits child tax credits etc.

Are you still under any mental health groups.

was the CT in your name only or did you have a partner at the time.

Can I also just add I don't know if I am classed as vulnerable in any way because Ive been in recovery from mental health issues and alcohol free for 18 months Im not under any mental health team or doctor as such Im just getting on with living so to speak - I mention this as I saw in previous posts that there could be the issue of vulnerability due to the issues I have mentioned but I have a feeling they will be classed as historical so may not be relevant now?

Sorry I only just read the other posts - The council tax debt is only in my name, I am not entiltled to any benefits or ctc, etc I no longer am under any mental health team and the 50.00 per month payments were made direct to the council. I am not in any arrangement with the bailiff as the only contact has been from him to me via letter

OK thank you for that.

My opinion I would carry on paying the council, keep the bailiff out of your home and hide any car that belongs to you.

Bailiff can only levy in items that belong to you.

I would have a word with you local MP and see if they can intervene.

Is this debt on another house or for the one you live in now.

Yes I have two liability orders which make the total debt just over 1,900 that's what the bailiff is after and yes it is for this address. The problem is I can keep the bailiff out but its the living with always worrying who is knocking on your door I have a young child who I lost custody of 3 years ago when the height of my problems were at there worst hence the council tax being right at the bottom of the pile of my priorities! My child is coming back to live with me soon and I really cant have anything untoward going on i.e nasty bailiffs hanging around - but thanku for your advice I will try my local MP but to be honest I don't have much faith!

Hi there just an update about my situation. Yesterday 1 week after emailing the council I received a response from them. They gave me a detailed breakdown of both liability orders what Ive paid and what the remaining balances are both add up to £1,900 roughly. They stated that it was too late for the council to accept an offer of repayment because it had been sent to a bailiff so I had to contact and pay him. I know a lot of advice has been given but Im really not sure what to do next. I cannot afford to pay the full 1,900 all I can do is offer an amount each month to pay of the debt. The council have also told me what I will have to pay for this years council tax so realistically all I can afford to pay off this debt is £30.00 per month Any advice would be welcome - I also have not heard any more from the bailiff after texting him a week ago to say I was going direct though the council.

:???:This is where she is now

The council have said she has to deal with bailiff and pay them

Certainly not ahelpful comment.

Regardless of what the Council say I would still pay them and ignore the Bailiff. He is already aware you have been paying the Council so already assumes he will get nowhere with you. After all there is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. If you keep up what you are doing now he will eventually hand it back to the Council, all you have to do is ignore him.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]