style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently have 2 liability orders for medway council for 2 previous years council tax 2011/12 and 2012/13. On both I was granted payment plans which I admit I didn't always stick to but I did make payments up until December 2012. On Monday after returning from taking my child to school I found a hand delivered letter from rundles stating that they had called and would be returning within 2 working days with transportation to remove my goods and the police etc. I was paying the council 50.00 per month on the payment plan and so I text the number on the bailiff letter asking if I could continue paying the same but so far have had no response. Ive phoned debt line who gave me good advice about not letting them in etc but im living in fear Im worried they will keep coming round and demand the full amount which I don't have. I let things slide with my finances due to mental health problems and alcoholism and now after 18 months of continued recovery and sobriety I am now having to face up to some of the problems I ignored when I was ill. I really don't need any stress and I would like advice on what to do next - should I contact the council and ask to continue the repayment plan I originally had or do I contact the bailiff by phone although he hasn't answered my text. The amount of council tax is over £2,000 I am currently unemployed and receive no benefits as my partner works full time - any advice would be appreciated thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a stressful time you are in the right place you will get good advice from people here. First thing best not talk to bailiffs or ring them.this is what they do to panic you

Contact the council first ask for the council tax enforcement office ask them to email you a breakdown from the bailiffs of fees added so you know what they are, pay the council direct sort this with council tax enforcement officer they may try and fob you off but i think they have to accept your payment.

Edited by matt v atos

Thanks I will appreciate any advise - its been a real battle getting my life back on track not trying to promote a sob story here I know we all have our problems but the stupid part is Ive managed to sort out all the other debts I had into small repayment plans but as debt line informed me they are "non priority" debts and the council tax is a major priority Its just very hard trying to stay on top of it all and keep well mentally but I get the impression this is a really good forum and Im grateful I found it

Thanks I will appreciate any advise - its been a real battle getting my life back on track not trying to promote a sob story here I know we all have our problems but the stupid part is Ive managed to sort out all the other debts I had into small repayment plans but as debt line informed me they are "non priority" debts and the council tax is a major priority Its just very hard trying to stay on top of it all and keep well mentally but I get the impression this is a really good forum and Im grateful I found it

You may be advised to request a breakdown from the bailiff who are the collectors? you don't say in your post

Edited by matt v atos

Ok thanks I will contact the council now and see what they say - I was paying the debt off by card each month on the councils automated system so if they are happy I will continue to do that I just hope I can get this sorted asap there is nothing worse then being at home dreading these people turning up

Ok thanks I will contact the council now and see what they say - I was paying the debt off by card each month on the councils automated system so if they are happy I will continue to do that I just hope I can get this sorted asap there is nothing worse then being at home dreading these people turning up

It will be fine just don't speak to them make a note of times and dates if they come

They may try and make a appointment with you over the phone if they have your number bare in mind if you speak to them its classed as contact with you and you don't really want this so its best not to

Keep us updated if you can.

Edited by matt v atos

There will be no police no locksmith

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs they will be looking to levy goods outside mainly your car

having any car on the driveway will be at risk of a levy

Deny bailiffs a levy and keep them out

Continue to pay the council direct

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If you can provide a written report from your case worker or GP to your problems then I suggest you write to the Council (head of revenues) giving your insight to you not being positioned to deal with such matters due to health issues. Ask they take the debt back in house and they give consideration to your finances (send them I&E) and accept £xx weekly/fortnightly/monthly as an affordable and sustainable repayment regime. While awaiting there reply use the reference numbers on the Ctax notices and start to pay a small regular amount to each liability order direct to the Council using their online payment system, thereby quickly building a history to show you are not a 'won't pay' and merely a want to pay by affordable means.

Meanwhile there is a set format to gathering what you will need to enable you to deal with this, I suggest you follow that using the templates below:

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Next you will need to confirm with the Council:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Make sure you have a record to show a trail be it email or paper....never contact the bailiff and if he returns do not allow him access..tell him you are awaiting a reply from the Council and will be making payments direct to them in the interim.

You are never alone on cag there is always someone to keep you on track.

WD

I doubt the cagger will be bothered to however long it takes...the point being that the longer it takes the longer the account remains in dispute and those little payment start to show a history? remember the old folk tale of the tortoise and hare:wink::wink::wink:??

WD

I doubt the cagger will be bothered to however long it takes...the point being that the longer it takes the longer the account remains in dispute and those little payment start to show a history? remember the old folk tale of the tortoise and hare:wink::wink::wink:??

WD

The info will be the same which way you go the council will email the next day

The info will be the same which way you go the council will email the next day

I doubt it, usual response from many Councils is go to Bailiff, this Council in particular does speak fluent Bailiff.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt it, usual response from many Councils is go to Bailiff, this Council in particular does speak fluent Bailiff.

yes but the info the council see is the same info on the in-house data the collector has and the council will email the breakdown but not the in house data they don't want you to see this cost £10.00.

yes but the info the council see is the same info on the in-house data the collector has and the council will email the breakdown but not the in house data they don't want you to see this cost £10.00.

Sorry to disillusion you, but the Council will simply pass the request to the Bailiffs for them to contact you, only when you register a complaint will they start to take notice.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to disillusion you, but the Council will simply pass the request to the Bailiffs for them to contact you, only when you register a complaint will they start to take notice.

not true the council enforcement office will give you a breakdown from the collectors they have to.

I don't know where you get your info from asking for a breakdown would indicate a complaint any way

Also You have to contact the council tax enforcement office to start this processes

Edited by matt v atos

not true the council enforcement office will give you a breakdown from the collectors they have to.

I don't know where you get your info from asking for a breakdown would indicate a complaint any way

PT's 7,432 posts giving the correct advice would suggest the info to asking for a full breakdown of fees from the bailiff works, few councils employ 'enforcement officers' these days so I guess you were lucky yours had one?

PT's 7,432 posts giving the correct advice would suggest the info to asking for a full breakdown of fees from the bailiff works, few councils employ 'enforcement officers' these days so I guess you were lucky yours had one?

Well if they don't have one they should so what do you do. some thing wrong here good point wonkeydonkey

Well if they don't have one they should so what do you do. some thing wrong here good point wonkeydonkey

With respect...it could be your council have outsourced their CT collection to Capita...who own two bailiff companies for their own use..you were given the impression you were speaking with this self confessed 'enforcement officer' employed by the council when in fact you were speaking to Capita? this is nearly always the case as few councils have in house bailiffs (enforcement officer's) these days.

Out of interest, why do rundles (LE16) use canterbury combined courts (CT1) for new applications?

How the hell would anyone living 3 hours drive away know if the applicant (Mr P.E) were a fit and proper person?

With respect...it could be your council have outsourced their CT collection to Capita...who own two bailiff companies for their own use..you were given the impression you were speaking with this self confessed 'enforcement officer' employed by the council when in fact you were speaking to Capita? this is nearly always the case as few councils have in house bailiffs (enforcement officer's) these days.

I rang the council asked for the CT enforcement office made appointment for next day she had the Id badge saying council employee said she worked on CT collection she helped me big time and removed £196.00 visit fees and sent me email of breakdown and what had been removed.

I rest my case

Then she was possibly from the CT revenues section and seeing the charges you complained about would not stand up to questioning, overruled the bailiff section......well done that Council and well done the revenues section your at the very least pro active..:whoo:

Then she was possibly from the CT revenues section and seeing the charges you complained about would not stand up to questioning, overruled the bailiff section......well done that Council and well done the revenues section your at the very least pro active..:whoo:

Yes this thing that gets banged about sometimes do not contact the council they are with the bailiffs. As long as you do your homework they have to help you by law as i understand it

Yes this thing that gets banged about sometimes do not contact the council they are with the bailiffs. As long as you do your homework they have to help you by law as i understand it

It is in 99.9% of cases the Council adopt the attitude they cannot interfere once it has been passed to a bailiff...the reality is they can and should but simply choose not to....many bailiffs are without doubt trained liars and they make it up as they go along.....if you read through the many posts on here you will see there is a set format to getting on the right track

Starting with fetting information from the Council revenues section to verify the debt and it always gives you a trail to follow when they give answers to the questions we suggest be asked. Next is that all important written full breakdown from the bailiff with dates/ times to the alleged visits and reason for the fees that accompany them, which at a later date can often be proven to be a figment of their imagination.

There are so many incidents to the bailiff claiming the debt for CT to be xyz then they top that up with unlawful fees to visits/levies never carried out and meanwhile the Council have give totally different figures to the actual CT debt. In short always gather the ammunition before you fire it off.

If you want to give advice it is vital you are sure of your facts before doing so and that means you have to do a hell lot of research and reading. we have many a cagger here who through their own experiences had to take a sharp learning curve to get themselves on track even with others helping them. Many of those people now repay that help by continuing to learn and impart their knowledge to help others and they are still learning along the way.