buying a potentially clocked car

nick49
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a car from a local dealer, they have advised that they know the mileage is wrong on it and it has covered around 50000 more than is showing on the Speedo, they have just put a new MOT on it.

I can get it for a good price (based on actual mileage) and was wondering, this could be a stupid question but is it ok to buy a car that I know has potentially been clocked? the garage dont know who clocked it but have said it wasnt them.

cheers,

Nick

You should steer well clear.

If there was an insurance claim for the value and there was an investigation which revealed that the car was not as valuable as you claimed then you would fall under suspicion. Lots of other similar reasons.

Anyway the whole thing is fraudulent.

Keep away from it

Why is it fraudulent???

If the car is a good price and is in good condition I see no reason not to buy it.

Check the mileage here https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle

You will be able to see the last 3 or 4 Mot mileage's

You’ll need the vehicle registration mark and either:

• the MOT test number (you can get this from the VT20 test certificate or the VT30 refusal certificate)
  • the document reference number from the V5C registration certificate (logbook) if you don’t have the MOT test number