Should I ask for rent reduction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any advice.

I rent a good standard bungalow, good in sense of area, size and land. (doesn't come cheap either) We have been here 13 months.

Now in December we had a leak in the kitchen ceiling which was immediately reported to the letting agent. As it was just days before Christmas I was told it would be dealt with after the Christmas period, but told to poke a small hole through ceiling to relieve any pressure, which I did. The water has come from the chimney stack, it's soaking wet in the attic. There is also damp coming into the 3 bedrooms, living room and bathroom, with pieces of rendering falling off and cracking all over. We cleaned this up but the damp reappears within days. The agent has said the rendering will have to wait until spring time to be done.

2 weeks after Christmas someone came to investigate and give a price. We then heard nothing. 4 weeks ago part of the ceiling came down, they sent someone round to patch it up temporarily. (Looks awful) I called the letting agent this week to ask what was happening and was told that the owner is going through his insurance and needed a second quote, but was given no timescale as to when this would be.

I called a friend of mine who is a builder to give me a quote, just to see if this would help things along. The price for all work is £750 - Hardly worth going through the insurance in my opinion.

Also forgot to mention, where the damp is coming from the chimney stack it has soaked the hall wall and carpet, so stepping through a wet carpet every day is getting rather annoying.

Also the boiler has packed in 6 times in 3 weeks. They have sent someone round to fix it, but it seems to be the same problem each time.

Now, after this waffling on, I get to my question. Do you think it is reasonable for me to ask for a rent reduction due to these issues?

Thanks again

P

Edited by plkdelta

Withholding rent is not normally advised.

Complaining a lot is possibly the best option to encourage LL to get backside into gear, mentioning reasonable points like the LL really ought to sort it as it's damaging LLs investment, as well as suggesting compensation or rent reduction due to property not being up to standard.