Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Can I  ask what you mean by "... they recommended a firm... "?   I ask because I'm a bit surprised that Social Services are even allowed to do that.  (I may be mistaken and that this is common practice, but it seems a bit odd to me).   If they did do so and the work has turned out to be sub-standard and unsatisfactory, I would have no hesitation in making a formal complaint to the council and also to my (or your friend's) local councillor(s).  You acted on the council's recommendation and you should have a reasonable expectation that the firm recommended should be reliable and professional.  I would also insist that trading standards be asked to investigate this firm.  (Where I live our local county council trading standards department runs an approved trader database).   A complaint to the council might not directly assist you but it might help to prevent others being taken in by this firm.
    • Hello Susan, welcome to CAG.   Hopefully Paul Walton will see this message and reply to you, but it would also be a good idea to start a new thread of your own so we can advise on anything else connected with your refund.   Best, HB
    • Hi there, sorry to hear of your situation but I have some excellent help for you, as unfortunately I have been in the same place at one point, owing more than £6000 in back council tax.   None of this is your fault, we are in the most serious public health and economic crisis for 100 years, councils are desperate to shore up their finances, unfortunately this means they are taking a rather blunt sledgehammer approach.  Right now, speaking to the call centre or recovery team is utterly pointless, I remember them sneering at me on the phone when I had no money to pay my rent. All it will do is get you nowhere and stress you out.   If you listen to me this can all be sorted out by tea time tomorrow, but before I explain, I need to make one thing clear.  You will not go to prison, end of.   So here is your course of action for Monday AM   1. Google your local Councillor and Elected head of council. Their mobile numbers and Emails should be on Google.  2. Ring your local councillor and explain everything, just as you did here. 3. If you don't get through to the councillor, leave a Voicemail and send an email explaining everything. 4. Ring up your GP / Consultant and ask for a medical note explaining what your illness is and all of the treatments with Side effects.   5. Google or ask for a copy of your local council's code of practice for collections.   Your councillor will likely be very concerned about poverty levels, and they have complete power to override  anyone in collections at the local council. Unlike the Finance team or call centre who probably don't care a fig.   Email to local councillor along the lines of   Dear XYZ   I am in a situation where I am unable to work because of my illness, and am now on Universal Credit, as I result I have fallen behind with my Council Tax. Unfortunately the demands I am receiving to pay up or receive a liability order I simply can't afford .  I understand the importance of Council Tax and know that finances are tight but paying this amount would mean not being able to pay my rent.  I hope you can understand the dire situation that I am in and would accept an offer of £x per month, to be reviewed after 6 months.  I am happy to send in any medical information from my consultant if needed. I look forward to your reply,   Kind Regards              
    • Thank you so much. I'll submit this tomorrow. I also visited the location yesterday, its 100 miles from my home. They've changed the signage, there's now a lot more small signs. There is an erected sign on entrance, damaged and the ANPR is actually fixed to the side of the burger king building.
    • Hello, I'm reading this as I have a similar problem - booking.com are refusing a refund and the accommodation are not replying to my emails. I have found the details for the CEO of booking.com but not the UK director of customer services. Please could you share this with me? Thanks. 
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Wedding Photographer has gone AWOL

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2920 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



This is my first post on the forum, and hoping you guys can help.


In 2007 I got married to my lovely wife, and we had all the usual wedding photos taken (600 I believe).


At the time we did not have a lot of money so just had an album off the photographer. He said if we wanted the wedding disc it would cost another £300.


We thought we'd save up for it, or have the money to buy it some time later.


Anyway the photographer went out of business, but we managed to get his mobile number if we needed to get in touch. At the time he said he would not be changing the number.


Some time later we now have the funds to buy the wedding disc, but the photographer has disappeared, and the phone number no longer works.


We have tried to track him down, asked other photographers, used online people searches, etc but no luck.


Does anyone have any ideas how we could find him? I believe we should have some rights but not sure what we can try?


Any help is much appreciated.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to CAG.


I think the guys on the General Consumer Issues forum should be able to help you, so I'll move your thread there. There will be a short term redirect from this forum for you.


My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

He may no longer be trading or may not even be around now I can only think that you could try ringing people with the same name in the local area to see if he is related but thats a long shot. TBH 5 years after the event and no longer trading he may well have disposed of all his old photos anyway.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I have tried called a few other people with the same name already.


Findermonkey sounds like an idea, even though I do begrudge paying £100 for it, however, I can maybe get it knocked off the price of the wedding disc if they find him

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps try searching the electoral roll to see if you can get an address and write a letter? See http://www.whitepages.co.uk/electoral-roll-search-and-electoral-register-voters.html




Link to post
Share on other sites

If they find him he may not still have the wedding disc especially if he isnt trading anymore so be prepared to say goodbye to your 100.00, also I cant see even if he has still got ot that he would knock 100.00 off the cost of the disc, I would have thought that if he has changed his number he dosnt really want to be contacted by his ex customers. Why not wait for your 10th anninversary and get some special photos done then rather than chase after this guy. As another thought though you could ask the local paper if they could run a story saying you are trying to track him down they might go for it.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites



I would have to air caution as assisted blonde has mentioned as they are no longer trading and have not traded for some years you may end up wasting £100 doing a search to find them only to be let down as they may not have your photos stored any longer.


This is just my opinion but is entirely up to you what course your take.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...