hmrc confirm with employer my start date??

newbie2121
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have recently started work (not enough hours to claim working tax but i do claim child tax for my 2 children) and have had a form from tax credits asking me for employers details and the date i started working for them. Does anyone know if hmrc will contact my employer to confirm my start date,pay rates etc once they've received my form?

many thanks

Doubtful But theres nothing to worry about

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

im going to be honest here. i wrote them a letter because i thought that would get me out of telling them my employers details(which is when they sent me the form asking me for more details) telling them i had started the beginning of feb 2013 but i had actually started the beginning of nov 2012. shall i be honest and put the real start date on this form or just put the start date i told them in the letter and hope that they do not check? if i put the real start date,wont they want to know why i lied?

thankyou

Put the real date. Theres no reason not to. If you dont, they'll suspect you of trying to defraud them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

They might. But why not just be truthful with them from the start? If you hide anything theyll be more suspicious. They have to take into account you admitting you made a mistake.

Unless you are intending to defraud them, why not just be upfront.

Possibly but, by giving them a later start date than is correct, all you've done is shorten the time you're claiming for. Remembet that, if you're earning enough to pay PAYE tax, they'll already know when you started employment. Unless you're also trying to cover an extended period of claiming benefits that you were not entitled to (am not accusing you of anything of course).

Feebee_71

no i had just forgot to inform them and just wondered if it was worth telling them my actual start date or just put down the date i told them in my letter. i just wanted to know if hmrc contact the employer to confirm start dates

thankyou

If you simply forgot, then tell them that. You have nothing to hide.

Hello there.

I agree with the guys, tell the truth - there's less to remember later. If you have nothing to hide, it's better to set the record straight now than end up with complications later. We see that here from time to time, I wouldn't risk it myself.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum