Shift change

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Let me start by saying when I started with this company, 10 yrs ago, I signed my contract agreeing to a 2 weeks notice for shift change, as you do if your wanting the job, anyway.....

In August of last year 65% of the company was bought by an equity firm......which has been making various changes and thinning out management.

Now I think its our turn as warehouse associates.

In November we were told that 12 of us on 7-3pm shift would be transferred to either 3-11pm or 11-7am shift...we were then given the names, I was included, we had been chosen because since January we had all been off sick, I had a broken rib.

The union put in a 'Failure to agree' notice in which quoshed the motion for the immediate future.

The reason for the move is because they feel the other shifts need more permanent skilled staff, as it is mainly agency driven, and they of course leave when a permanent job is found.

The 12 chosen were all on legacy wages £9.10, whilst not one of the core earners £7.75 were picked.

Now last month they advertised 60+ permanent jobs in the local paper and these would be set on core wages, we feel they are trying to get rid of the legacy workers by making it as difficult as poss for us.

Also another warehouse close by closed which left 60+ unemployed these work for the same company as us but on an even lower wage £7....they are being interviewed for our warehouse but on whatever shift they like and when asked why can't they go on the other shifts, it is because their jobs are at stake as they will be made redundant.

We are being told that we will have one to one consultations with managers to put our cases forward for not doing the shift change....well here's mine see what you think.

I don't drive and get to work using, to a varying degree, a network of colleagues who either live in or go through my village but 99% of the time it is one friend.

There are no buses at 11pm and even if there were I would not be wanting to walk from the village center to the warehouse at that time of night, along a long stretch of quite dark road, anyway I digress, basically I really cannot get to work and if they insisted that I had to move, would have to leave, the manager involved is not of a sympathetic nature and told one guy whose reason was he wouldn't see his children

''You'll have to become a weekend dad''

What chance do I have ...basically being forced to leave which is what we feel they want of us legacy workers.

Oh forgot to mention that they are choosing the 12 now by names in a hat.....sorry for the ramble

I'm thinking that you could go to an employment tribunal citing constructive dismissal, but I would await the input of someone who can give a definitive answer.

Be sure to go and see your union rep. That's what they're there for

Edited by shystar
smelling pistake